Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Aaron Jones Being Released

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    I just hope GB didn't JordyNelson Aaron Jones
    I hope not too. Jacobs is younger than Jones by four years, so I don't see the comparison to Nelson and Graham as particularly good.

Calm down, people. There's still a 50/50 chance Jones will re-sign with the Packers, and we will have two great RBs.

The Cowboys lost Pollard who is very similar to Jones, so I could see how they would want him, especially with McCarthy. Considering Jones' age and injury history, though, there's a significant chance the Cowboys and everybody else will try to lowball him. If that happens, I could certainly see him coming back to the Packers. I highly doubt this was a hostility thing. Gutekunst probably told him to test the market and come back if he couldn't get what he hopes for.

I was hoping to have us draft a RB to rotate with Jones - now Jacobs, but having both would probably be best.

And for ya'all cap panickers, hell yeah, all things are possible.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I was hoping to have us draft a RB to rotate with Jones - now Jacobs, but having both would probably be best.
    I'd still draft an RB, probably Day Three. If we were to sign Jones, that'd be the end of AJ, and our only other back would be Wilson - who Gute claims to love, and says he has a great future, etc, but I'm not convinced. I'd be uncomfortable knowing he was all we had on the shelf.

LeFleur must be bumming. If they could’ve kept Jones AND had Jacobs, LeFleur would’ve had TWO really good running backs to ignore for long, crucial stretches of games.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Aaron Wilson
    @AaronWilson_NFL

#Vikings are having constructive dialogue with former #Packers running back Aaron Jones with some optimism that a potential deal could be reached for him to remain in NFC North after being released by Green Bay, per league sources @KPRC2
    I would think at this point in his career he would want to go to a team with a better chance of making the playoffs. Vikings right now have as big a question mark at QB as any team in football.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I would think at this point in his career he would want to go to a team with a better chance of making the playoffs. Vikings right now have as big a question mark at QB as any team in football.
    I think they not only have a question mark regarding the position itself, but an even bigger cultural question mark about their ability to even figure out how to solve the first question mark. Unless their master plan revolves around waiting until 2025 and signing Rodgers when he's used up the Jets, and then waiting another 15 years until it's Jordan's turn.

Fran Tarkenton was their highwater mark for franchise quarterbacks. Culpepper stirred up some excitement for a minute or two, until the rest of the league figured out he was as dumb as a rusty horseshoe, but in the half century since Tark, Cousins was really as close as they've come. And now they're right back to Square One.

They had a shitty enough year to get the #11 pick, but in a year that's only about 3-4 QBs deep (at best) in terms of likely 1st year quality starters. There are another 3-4 who may have a realistic chance to be developed into a franchise quarterback, but not quickly enough to mean anything significant to Jones (and even then, only with a decent coaching staff, and we poached Sean Mannion from them. It sounds like they really did assume that when he retired, he'd become their Tom Clements).

Unless they trade up, I don't know if they have any option. If the Bears cut Fields, they'd be fools not to snatch 'im up, but the Bears will never do anything that smart. They have 9 picks, and in a draft where the 1st round is bursting with OL, they could maybe move up a few spots with a team who needs a lineman (which they do not) and steal a QB. Otherwise, it's probaby Darnell or Garrapolo, and if I'm Aaron Jones, at that point I say "screw it, I'll go with Green Bay for whatever, and get my ring".

I just don't get it. Sure, the cap number is lower for the dude this year, but they are paying Jones either way. Seems kinda silly. AJO is a unique player and team MVP.

I highly doubt Jones will sign with Green Bay after being released. If there is a chance, it is significantly lower than 50-50. Money clearly was a key factor here, so Jones is now focused on getting top dollar. Green Bay did right by him by releasing him early, so he has a great chance at landing a strong deal. Honestly, this breakup was largely forced by Rodgers and his demands for retaining players who provided little long term value to the team. Gute has done a good job worming his way out of that, but it wasn’t going to happen without some pain. We got the best of Aaron Jones in Green Bay, and he’ll proudly enter the Packers HOF in the not too distant future.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Yep. 1year, $7million is what I've heard.
    Vikes released Alexander Mattison and signed Sam Darnold at QB. Will be a new backfield for MIN.

Is really going to be hard to watch Jones run against GB.

I think Jones made a bad decision here. He's likely played his last playoff game.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    I think Jones made a bad decision here. He's likely played his last playoff game.
    Virtually everyone has an ego. The ego keeps the tilting poker player at the tables and consequently turns her into a notorious punter.

Jone’s ego is telling him to sign with the Queens for a chance to stick it to the German Shepherd twice a year.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Vikes are a dumpster fire at this point.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Have to wonder how those knees will hold up with so many turf games.

Hard truth is Packers likely got 80% of his best years if not all of them. This was the right move.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post

Hard truth is Packers likely got 80% of his best years if not all of them. This was the right move.
    Yep, he doesn't have much left. He will probably have a few games where he's healthy and will shine, but injuries will knock him out for chunks of the season, and age conquers all, especially in NFL RB's.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Yep, he doesn't have much left. He will probably have a few games where he's healthy and will shine, but injuries will knock him out for chunks of the season, and age conquers all, especially in NFL RB's.
    I am liking that he went purple. He will be motivated against the Packers but Jacobs will be motivated to show he is better than his predecessor.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post

Long term I agree. I think Jacobs is tough and can be on the field all three downs. He's 220 pounds and will be a problem to tackle in December at Lambeau.

Aaron Jones is going to be beloved by his Vikings teammates quickly. He's genuinely a good dude and I wish him the best of luck (minus 2 games). If they run him like they tried to run Cook or Mattison on that field he's going to have a knee injury by Game 6 though.

For MIN, I don't know what they are doing. Are they rebuilding? I assume they are going to chase a QB in Round 1 (McCarthy? Nix? Penix?) in the second tier below Caleb/Maye/Daniels. Do the GM or HC have some kind of grace period? That team is not going to be expected to threaten for the NFCN crown; maybe they think they can squeak to a 7 seed but I think that's very optimistic. Aside from Cousins, there wasn't much on the market for QBs, especially after Baker and Russell signed. Are they tanking? I can't figure it out yet, after the draft it will make more sense what they are doing.

Also - if they trade for Justin Fields they are insane.

A HC usually gets one chance to hitch his wagon to a QB, a GM might get two chances. I'll be very curious to see what MIN (and CHI) do.

Back to Aaron Jones -- I would've thought he'd go to HOU or DAL instead. Maybe even JAX. He definitely wanted to stay close and stick it to Gute. I don't blame him, in a way. He already did one big pay cut, why take another when he did everything he could to prove his value?
    Not gonna hate on him, he's a Packer HOF'er. All the same, I suspect he will regret his decision. He'd have been an awesome RB2 to pair with Jacobs.

Jones missed a lot of time this year, which could be a foreshadowing of the future for an aging back, but in the previous four years he missed only four games in total. That's very good for the position.

With the way he performed at the end of the season, it is hard to see him go.
    Last edited by Patler; 03-12-2024 at 01:50 PM.

Jacobs did not perform particularly well in 2023. Is he one of those RBs who plays very well, but for a very short time? Remains to be seen. He didn't have a lot of carries in college, unlike some who flame out early in the NFL.

Ever since John Brockington, I don't count on backs for more than a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Jacobs did not perform particularly well in 2023. Is he one of those RBs who plays very well, but for a very short time? Remains to be seen. He didn't have a lot of carries in college, unlike some who flame out early in the NFL.

Ever since John Brockington, I don't count on backs for more than a few years.
    There was a lot going on last year. He was coming off a 2022 season where he had almost 400 touches. That might have taken something out of him. The Raiders put the franchise tag on him and he didn't report until late August when they agreed to a contract. The Raiders offense was horrible last year, especially once Garoppolo went out with an injury.

I believe the Packers will be better about not overusing him. Don't think you'll see him with any more 400 touch seasons.