Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Aaron Jones Being Released

Hard to believe Guter's going into his eighth year. Seems like it's only year four or so, and he's gathering the pieces for the next iteration of Packer greatness.

But man, he had some shit drafts early on, didn't he?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    They wanted to Jordy to come back at a base salary of 2 MIL/year. Gutie has no interest in bringing Nelson back. It's water under the bridge now, but that is what I've heard a few say what he was offfered. A couple sports guys from the media, the most credible one of which is Wilde, who had a ton of ins with Jordy Nelson, Devonte Adams, and even Rodgers....although his relationship with Rodgers has soured the past 5 years.
    I am getting old, but I thought Jordy's biggest bitch is they cut him and didn't even talk to him about a restructure. Am I just that forgetful?

edit: with the help of the google thing I found articles about the packers way lowballing him. Jordy's bitch was that they weren't fair. Lets be honest though. Jordy was going to be 33 to start the next year. He had a 700 yard season with the Raiders and then no one else would offer him a deal. The Raiders are the definition of a stupid franchise. Gutes made the right business decision.
    Last edited by bobblehead; 04-05-2024 at 10:56 AM.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Funny, I recall that TT was the GM when the whole Jordy thing went down.

But I think he'd just stepped down, and the Jordy Nelson stuff happened a few months later.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I am getting old, but I thought Jordy's biggest bitch is they cut him and didn't even talk to him about a restructure. Am I just that forgetful?

edit: with the help of the google thing I found articles about the packers way lowballing him. Jordy's bitch was that they weren't fair. Lets be honest though. Jordy was going to be 33 to start the next year. He had a 700 yard season with the Raiders and then no one else would offer him a deal. The Raiders are the definition of a stupid franchise. Gutes made the right business decision.

I am not saying it was right or wrong. With Jordy catching 60 balls for the sad Raiders I think he could have done way better in that year with Rodgers. Jimmy was not a good signing of course

You should really download Wisconsin on Demmand. Some of these guys who have close relationships with Packer players get direct scoops and it's interesting to hear.

Jordy really wanted to finish his career in GB and he was fine taking a big paycut. HE just didn't want to get bent over. Gute didn't want him. So be it.

And Devonte was very bitter GB let him go into his contract year. One year before he left he wanted to extened with GB and it sounds like the stalemate was about 2MIL/year. it's very rare to let a superstar go into his contract year. Gute did with Adams. That is what lost him. And then once Devonte was out the door he threw out this big contract to make his image look good with GB. But he knew he had zero chance at that point.

ALSO, DID YOU KNOW ?

Ron Wolf interviewed for the Green Bay Packers job years ahead of when he took the job. He interviewed wth Judge Parins (Before Bob Harlan was hired and retructured who had the power).
    After the interview, Ron Wolf immediately removed his name from consideration. It was a messed up system then were the GM had very little control over anything. Harlan came in and changed that. And Marcia later changed it again.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Don’t believe everything you hear. I’m a little skeptical of these versions of events.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    Don’t believe everything you hear. I’m a little skeptical of these versions of events.

I undoubtedly do not believe everything I hear
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Bretsky, I don't think they botched the Adams situation though. So he is pissed off, oh well. That doesn't mean they botched it. Personally I was on record that they should have torn it apart a year earlier trading Rodgers at max value, Adams at max value (which they may have done anyway) and moving on from Bak at the same time. It was clear we had cap issues and age issues at key places. I wanted to cut/trade everyone over 28 at the time, even Jones. We did all that over a 3 year period, and I still think they held on too long. Players are always butt hurt, but thats life.

When I look at the Packers current situation, and I look at Davante Adams' current situation, I have a hard time coming to the conclusion that the Packers are the ones who botched the situation.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Bretsky just a fanboy cuck at this point and I can't be bothered to spend effort on some elderly hick who can't or won't count to five.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Daammnn!! Went hard on his ass! Can someone pick B off the floor and get him into an Uber?

I was Adams fan #1. Have to say without a doubt the current set would not be here if Davante had been signed to a big deal. We already know how successful feeding him the ball was. It just wasn’t a championship winning formula when going against the high powered teams in the playoffs.

Blog Entries
    Bretsky, I don't think they botched the Adams situation though. So he is pissed off, oh well. That doesn't mean they botched it. Personally I was on record that they should have torn it apart a year earlier trading Rodgers at max value, Adams at max value (which they may have done anyway) and moving on from Bak at the same time. It was clear we had cap issues and age issues at key places. I wanted to cut/trade everyone over 28 at the time, even Jones. We did all that over a 3 year period, and I still think they held on too long. Players are always butt hurt, but thats life.

Honestly, I would not argue with anything you note. It worked out thanks to Gute hitting on a multitude of WR's. In a normal secnario, I don't think you let Adams walk but it did work out.
    And yes, he is bitter

Bretsky, what's with you carrying the torch for all these bitter ex-Packers?

KYPack

So the Raiders gave up a 1/2 for Adams, who is 30 now, paid him absolute top dollar. We paid Jacobs near top dollar for a RB and gave up nothing as he turns 26. One is a smart organization doing smart things. I'll let you decide which.

Blog Entries
    So the Raiders gave up a 1/2 for Adams, who is 30 now, paid him absolute top dollar. We paid Jacobs near top dollar for a RB and gave up nothing as he turns 26. One is a smart organization doing smart things. I'll let you decide which.
    The youngest team in the league and the only team that got younger after participating in free agency.

Trading high picks for the right to sign/extend a player to an expensive contract is a bad idea. Especially when they are nearing 30.

Jordy was past his prime and I think GB is the sort of team who won't even offer an aging player on an expiring contract a deal that both matches the expected production and the player's asking price.
    Great Packer in his prime but by 2017 he didn't have much left in the tank - he had 482 yards on 53 catches that last year in GB. Granted, some of it was with Brett Hundley at QB, but 9.1 ypc is not good for a guy lining up outside.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...s/gnb/2017.htm

If GB had better WR depth or had signed someone better than Jimmy Graham the next year nobody would have blinked an eye.

Personally I was on record that they should have torn it apart a year earlier trading Rodgers at max value, Adams at max value (which they may have done anyway) and moving on from Bak at the same time. It was clear we had cap issues and age issues at key places. I wanted to cut/trade everyone over 28 at the time, even Jones. We did all that over a 3 year period, and I still think they held on too long. Players are always butt hurt, but thats life.
    I was really disappointed when Gutekunst didn't do something very much like that after that disaster in the divisional game against the Niners. That was the sound of our window slamming shut, and the time to start rebuilding was when Rodgers would bring the greatest return. Sell high; cash out those assets at their peak.

I thought we were going to time-warp straight back to the mid-70s. Up to that point (2020), Gutekunst hadn't shown much talent for finding talent in the draft, and I thought he needed as many extra picks as we could get to have a chance at rebuilding a team. When he didn't do that, I was pretty disgusted with him; thought he just didn't have the balls to make the tough calls.

The draft day jackpots he hit in 2022 and 2023 completely changed that. It turned out a lot better than any of us probably could have expected. But at the time, there were a lot of unhappy campers in Cheesehead World.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    The youngest team in the league and the only team that got younger after participating in free agency.
    We might bring back Crosby yet, which would instantly make us the 2nd oldest roster in the NFL.