Xavier McKinney

I think this guy merits own thread.

Here's his wiki, career stats at bottom of page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xavier_McKinney

College Scouting Report:

https://walterfootball.com/scoutingr...0xmckinney.php

Some film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exHp4hOognc

As I said almost a week ago, I was hoping for a FA Safety and in particular this guy in particular. Safety is a position where it's not too likely that a rookie will be good - best to get somebody with a history of quality. And he's young enough to be good for a long time.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

i think i saw somewhere earlier that since this guy came into the league he's been PFFs #1 rated safety over that time

guess the guy is an absolute stud

McKinney and Jacobs both wore the team captain's C patch on their jerseys. So while the Packers lost some team leaders this week, they also picked some up. Not a small thing on a team this young.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That’s awesome right there Joe! These guys sound like the dreaded “Packer people” types.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    McKinney and Jacobs both wore the team captain's C patch on their jerseys. So while the Packers lost some team leaders this week, they also picked some up. Not a small thing on a team this young.
    Yeah; McKinney was voted captain by is teammates at age 23, wasn't he? That's pretty remarkable. That defense is going to have some solid leadership out on the field.

Not hard to guess who'll be wearing the green dot this season.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    i think i saw somewhere earlier that since this guy came into the league he's been PFFs #1 rated safety over that time

guess the guy is an absolute stud
    Was listening to some supposed experts talking earlier on Lock On Packers. Some lady from the Giants area. She made it sound like he wasn’t the flashy pick six guy. But that he was definitely solid all game and rarely gave up big plays. Hey he beat Love right?

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    Was listening to some supposed experts talking earlier on Lock On Packers. Some lady from the Giants area. She made it sound like he wasn’t the flashy pick six guy. But that he was definitely solid all game and rarely gave up big plays. Hey he beat Love right?
    I heard that too, last night. Said she was surprised that as many tools as he does have, an eye for picking off passes wasn't one of them.

If that's his biggest flaw, I can learn to live with it.

Blog Entries
    That’s my feeling also. Rasul fanboys like Bretsky and Bobble just like the instant gratification of the TOs. Me too but not at the expense of constantly giving up big plays.

Corners are the ones where you look for that "instant gratification". It helps to have a solid dependable Safety. McKinney seems to be that with maybe a little bit of flash also. I'm really glad we got this guy.

That’s my feeling also. Rasul fanboys like Bretsky and Bobble just like the instant gratification of the TOs. Me too but not at the expense of constantly giving up big plays.
    I looked it up, and he has 9 career total - ranging anywhere from a couple of seasons where he had 0, to 5 in 2021 (including a pick six). The "5" tells me he has the ability, but the variance suggests that it may have to do with how he is being used. 6 of his 9 came in his first 2 seasons, when I do know he was being experimented with trying to find the best way to get maximum overall production. Their defensive coordinator those 2 seasons was Pat Graham, who was replaced by Wink Martindale in 2022 as part of a massive overhaul of the defensive staff.

That 2022 season was the first year McKinney had 0 picks, and their defense had a rocky year. But he came back last year with a respectable 3 picks, which again isn't a lot but enough to make most quarterbacks careful about what they throw at him.

So who knows what we'll get out of him. He's a young player, and it's hard to get a clear read on his longterm potential from just a few seasons with an overall uncertain defense. If he defends his man well, there may not be many balls thrown to his part of the field anyway.

From the same draft class as Love, picked #36 overall. So he’s a young guy, not a “patch” until they get a rookie up to speed. Packers might not have liked this safety class for that free safety spot.

I saw an article on Acme that said this is really a two-year deal, and the contract gets team-friendlier as it goes on. I like that aspect.

I’m guessing he’s also a good lover, as he puts others’ needs ahead of his own chance for instant gratification.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Gutes clearly is willing to ignore RAS once a guy puts a couple season in at this level. X Mac posted a sub 6 I think I read.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Blog Entries
    This move and Jacobs makes the Packers even younger average than last season right? Plus the rookies still haven’t been counted. Youngest team ever to win a SB?

But remember that 35+ players that are returning will all be a year older. Not sure we will be younger, but will definitely be very young still.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

This move and Jacobs makes the Packers even younger average than last season right? Plus the rookies still haven’t been counted. Youngest team ever to win a SB?
    Well, every single player gets a year or older so we'll need to do the math before being sure. Did Bahk count in the age calculation while in IR.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    But remember that 35+ players that are returning will all be a year older. Not sure we will be younger, but will definitely be very young still.
    Oops. I basically double posted you.

Blog Entries
    Unless I’m mistaken the average was 25. Which is Love’s age.so fuk both of you for trying to ruin the dream. Most of the offense will not be older than that this season. Losing two of the oldest guys will hit the number hard for sure.

Blog Entries
    Unless I’m mistaken the average was 25. Which is Love’s age.so fuk both of you for trying to ruin the dream. Most of the offense will not be older than that this season. Losing two of the oldest guys will hit the number hard for sure.
    In a side note, this team is turning over it's make-up.

After these latest moves, the only player on the roster that was there before Gute took over is Kenny Clark

Rebuilding on the fly - it's what the Packers have always done and the reason for 30+ years of excellence. It's also what some loser teams don't do, which is what generally keeps them as losers.