Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Josh Jacobs

I don't want them to mess with his fundamentals too much. A lot of the same criticisms were made about Favre and Rodgers, and I'd put them both as top five all time, GOATs at the time they played. Yes, Love does seem to be a well-grounded individual, and best of all, he has soaked up the Rodgers mindset of not throwing interceptions. He does have a great supporting cast around him, but you could just about say even this early in his career, same as Rodgers, he makes the rest of the team seem better than it is.

I'm fine with the starting OLine as it is. We could probably use a backup or two. As I have said many times, "just ok" is plenty good enough for the OLine if you have a mobile accurate QB.

Same as in the Rodgers years, same as always, I want the team to be "pass first". Jacobs should be (I hope) as effective or more so than Aaron Jones as a change of pace to the excellent passing game. Whether it was Jones or now with Jacobs, I want them to draft a fairly equal RB for rotation with the starter - Braelon Allen in the 2nd or 3rd round is still my top choice.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Ya know Run, I've seen Powers-Jackson mocked in the first lately, but I think there is a good shot he is there in the 2nd for us. If Gutes drafted one of the elite OT prospects and Austin Powers in the 2nd I think our OL would be as good as anyone's in the league. Even then we should triple up in the 4/5th rounds for depth as I don't really like Rhyan at all. I'd love to hear the discussion if DeJean and one of the top OTs are both available when we pick.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Tex, you realize Rodgers completely reworked his throwing motion from college to pros right? Working to improve is never a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Ya know Run, I've seen Powers-Jackson mocked in the first lately, but I think there is a good shot he is there in the 2nd for us. If Gutes drafted one of the elite OT prospects and Austin Powers in the 2nd I think our OL would be as good as anyone's in the league. Even then we should triple up in the 4/5th rounds for depth as I don't really like Rhyan at all. I'd love to hear the discussion if DeJean and one of the top OTs are both available when we pick.
    I'm skeptical of Rhyan's ability to be a starter, although he went from "keeping the 3rd round bust streak alive" to serviceable backup, so he might have another step in his game. I wouldn't bank on it, and given the JRJ-Rhyan platooning last year I doubt Gute is. I think they should improve the OL overall - the only guys who should be locks as starters are Jenkins and Tom. The rest are young and/or need to be pushed to keep their jobs.

Tex, you realize Rodgers completely reworked his throwing motion from college to pros right? Working to improve is never a bad thing.
    Agree. Remember how Love couldn't hit a deep throw the first half of the season? How many times did he underthrow or throw from a jump or unnecessary hitch? He cleans that up, it improves his timing and accuracy. Maybe throwing a lob off your back foot to Wicks will beat the Bears, but it's not going to cut it in the playoffs against SF. A 3% improvement in his accuracy would make a big difference over the course of a season. Also can give your receivers a better chance at gaining more YAC. Why wouldn't you want that? As I've said Love is far from a finished product - he's 24 years old - and has a lot of room for improvement after one year of starting. If he doesn't improve in years 2 & 3 then I'll be concerned, and GB will likely have grossly overpaid for their QB.

Its gonna be fun seeing josh jacobs running down the field with a couple db's hanging off him now that tackling has been banned

wonder if GB saw this coming and decided to go with a tank at RB because of it

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    Its gonna be fun seeing josh jacobs running down the field with a couple db's hanging off him now that tackling has been banned

wonder if GB saw this coming and decided to go with a tank at RB because of it
    Meh. NFL says hip drop tackle was used 230 times last year. That's just over 7 times per team. So over a 17 game season the average team would use it 0.4 times per game. It will require an adjustment by some players, but it's probably not as big a deal as some are making it out to be.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Meh. NFL says hip drop tackle was used 230 times last year. That's just over 7 times per team. So over a 17 game season the average team would use it 0.4 times per game. It will require an adjustment by some players, but it's probably not as big a deal as some are making it out to be.
    yeah, thats what they say, but the refs are now gonna call 5 times that many because its hard to tell between a hip drop and a regular tackle, and the league is gonna tell the refs to call the shit out of that

theres a pattern. took away low hits, took away high hits, now taking away mid hits

a 190 pound cb isn't gonna have a chance to take down a 230 pound RB now that they can't "hit them", or wrap them up and drop their weight.

True, but that was long before he became the Packer starter. Well after that, I heard whining about taking to long to throw and/or avoiding the middle of the field and some particularly ignorant remarks that he should throw more risky passes even if it results in more picks.

Love is now the established Packer starter, and there ain't much I'd like to see changed from last season.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    yeah, thats what they say, but the refs are now gonna call 5 times that many because its hard to tell between a hip drop and a regular tackle, and the league is gonna tell the refs to call the shit out of that

theres a pattern. took away low hits, took away high hits, now taking away mid hits

a 190 pound cb isn't gonna have a chance to take down a 230 pound RB now that they can't "hit them", or wrap them up and drop their weight.
    I agree with Red here, insofar as to establish the rule the refs will overcall it for the first two-thirds of the season, at least.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I bet if you asked four different refs to count how many hip drop tackles there were last year you'd get six different answers. There's the real problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I agree with Red here, insofar as to establish the rule the refs will overcall it for the first two-thirds of the season, at least.
    You recently eclipsed 20k posts. Did Mad send you a watch or something?

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    You recently eclipsed 20k posts. Did Mad send you a watch or something?
    Nah, he just watches my posts to make sure I don't say anything political. I have my fingers crossed that he'll reach out to Drew Barrymore to tell her of the humorous crush I have on her and my 20,000 posts at Packerrats. Once he explains what an enormous accomplishment that is - the sheer dedication, coming back from bans, thinking up mindless shit to say - then her producers will reach out to me and invite me to come on the show. Then Drew invites me to go out on a date, and afterwards she invites me back to her mansion.

I will celebrate my outpouring of vomit over the years by posting a gallery of Drew Barrymore pics in the near future.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    True, but that was long before he became the Packer starter. Well after that, I heard whining about taking to long to throw and/or avoiding the middle of the field and some particularly ignorant remarks that he should throw more risky passes even if it results in more picks.

Love is now the established Packer starter, and there ain't much I'd like to see changed from last season.
    That was me and that was Rodgers taking stupid sacks instead of throwing it away. He has always been shy about the middle once his core (Jordy Jennings Jones) WRs buddies left. Sorry but he just wasn’t that exciting to watch if he wasn’t hitting deep passes. Became extremely predictable too!

Does it hurt you I was right about him the whole time? I might not be a football expert but I read folks faces well and clearly he was a POS. Just glad he showed everyone he always has been.

Throwing it away is one thing - a better thing than taking a sack. Putting it up for grabs is quite another - never a good thing unless it's hail mary time. And it's a third thing yet to hold it, hold it, hold it, going through progressions and finally hitting somebody who is open - which Rodgers did a LOT. That might have cost a few sacks, but not many in comparison to the successes it brought.

Didn't Rodgers have a record of throwing to bigger number of receivers in games than just about anybody? I would hardly call him predictable, at least not in a bad way.

I can see how you'd be negative about Rodgers on a personal level - the no autograph incident. However, I can't see being in denial of Rodgers' overall greatness on the field and the pleasure he brought us fans for winning football for such a long time. You're right up there with me in optimism about Love. I hope he never refuses an autograph for your kid hahahahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    That was me and that was Rodgers taking stupid sacks instead of throwing it away. He has always been shy about the middle once his core (Jordy Jennings Jones) WRs buddies left. Sorry but he just wasn’t that exciting to watch if he wasn’t hitting deep passes. Became extremely predictable too!

Does it hurt you I was right about him the whole time? I might not be a football expert but I read folks faces well and clearly he was a POS. Just glad he showed everyone he always has been.
    I hear that most people who struggle with english as a second language learn to read facial expressions and mannerisms extremely well to compensate so I have to accept your expertise on this one.

Blog Entries
    If we are doing comparison let’s go with the only one that matters, SB wins. Favre and Rodgers both got one and IMO play very different. At the end of the day it was the same result. Love seems to be more about taking chances with his rifle arm. I say let him if it also amount to just 1 SB win.

He probably did have that record among many others but years before his undoing in GB he was predictable. Ask the 49ers who repeatedly embarrassed him. Sorry but beating downtrodden bears only impresses so much.

You don’t even have the story correct similar to those media shitheads. Please don’t fall to that. It is for low level con-men types like Bretsky. It wasn’t an autograph he couldn’t even say hi. Weak, very weak no matter how you cut it. You are also wrong for saying I never appreciated his winning. Several times I have stated he will always be a Packers champion and that can’t be denied. That doesn’t mean I have to like him. Don’t forget the others that got to that SB. Yea he had exciting moments but it had been years since the meaningful ones.

But the reason I say he proved himself a POS isn’t personal. That’s just why I don’t like him. He is a POS because he doesn’t talked to his family and who the hell does that?

Part of the story you also forget is I sat with his parents and spoke with his parents, GOOD and NORMAL folks that obviously loved their son very much. Ole Dad was pulling for his boy like you wouldn’t believe. I feel bad for them especially if the stories are true it was about money. If I had Rodgers type money for family wouldn’t need to ask for anything. That’s just how I would do it though. You folks operate much differently.

Blog Entries
    I hear that most people who struggle with english as a second language learn to read facial expressions and mannerisms extremely well to compensate so I have to accept your expertise on this one.
    Maybe but English isn’t my second language. I don’t have a second language, only one that is pretty much hybrid. I laugh when your people think their English is proper because it isn’t too far away from Spanglish if you ask proper English speaking Brits.

If we are doing comparison let’s go with the only one that matters, SB wins. Favre and Rodgers both got one and IMO play very different. At the end of the day it was the same result. Love seems to be more about taking chances with his rifle arm. I say let him if it also amount to just 1 SB win.

He probably did have that record among many others but years before his undoing in GB he was predictable. Ask the 49ers who repeatedly embarrassed him. Sorry but beating downtrodden bears only impresses so much.

You don’t even have the story correct similar to those media shitheads. Please don’t fall to that. It is for low level con-men types like Bretsky. It wasn’t an autograph he couldn’t even say hi. Weak, very weak no matter how you cut it. You are also wrong for saying I never appreciated his winning. Several times I have stated he will always be a Packers champion and that can’t be denied. That doesn’t mean I have to like him. Don’t forget the others that got to that SB. Yea he had exciting moments but it had been years since the meaningful ones.

But the reason I say he proved himself a POS isn’t personal. That’s just why I don’t like him. He is a POS because he doesn’t talked to his family and who the hell does that?

Part of the story you also forget is I sat with his parents and spoke with his parents, GOOD and NORMAL folks that obviously loved their son very much. Ole Dad was pulling for his boy like you wouldn’t believe. I feel bad for them especially if the stories are true it was about money. If I had Rodgers type money for family wouldn’t need to ask for anything. That’s just how I would do it though. You folks operate much differently.
    I guess this was at least partly for me, so I will comment hahahaha.

As I've said many times, IMO, consistent winning is the thing - the really great thing - which we Packer fans have enjoyed for over three decades now. The Super Bowl is just a thin layer of frosting on a delicious cake. I absolutely do NOT want Love to be more of a risk taker than Rodgers. Playing like Rodgers is IMO the key to his greatness and what sets him apart from other talented young QBs.

As for Rodgers being a "POS", if you say so. You seem to have more knowledge on the topic than I do. My position is that I basically don't give a damn. He is (or more accurately now was) OUR POS, meaning when he was a Packer and being the GOAT on the field, I could care less if he was a POS off the field. Now that he's gone, he ain't OURS, so fuck him - right up until the day he goes into the HOF as a Packer. Then, he is OURS again.

Maybe but English isn’t my second language. I don’t have a second language, only one that is pretty much hybrid. I laugh when your people think their English is proper because it isn’t too far away from Spanglish if you ask proper English speaking Brits.
    Maybe we should all binge watch Downton Abbey to learn proper and shit.

Clever. I see what you did there.

KYPack