Thread: The Cardiac Pack

The Cardiac Pack

Older Packer fans will never forget Lindy Infante with Don the Magic Man that season.
    Went 10 -6

The team was often referred to as "The Cardiac Pack" due to several close-game wins.

That was a great season.

Packers beat the 49ers in SF in November. I was still living in Illinois at the time and was listening to the game on WTMJ. At 6:00 PM signal from WTMJ would get weaker, so late in the game as the signal got weaker I was desperately trying to adjust the antenna to try to be able to hear the broadcast. It's a shame that team didn't make the playoffs because they were a lot of fun to watch. The following year the NFL expanded the number of wild card teams.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

i was a wee-un at the time, but me and the folks drove to dallas to see them beat the fucking cowboys that year

that was the last time they won in dallas for a long long time

my second ever live packer game, and it was in that horrible shit hole

Blog Entries
    Loved it. Great post Vincenzo. It was so ironic when we lost Majik in that Bengal game. I was so low seeing Don go off the field. Then on came that Crazed Hillbilly who would eventually get us a Lombardi. Now THAT was Majik.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    Loved it. Great post Vincenzo. It was so ironic when we lost Majik in that Bengal game. I was so low seeing Don go off the field. Then on came that Crazed Hillbilly who would eventually get us a Lombardi. Now THAT was Majik.
    "And here's second year quarterback Brett Favre, from Southern Mississippi, by way of the Atlanta Falcons... he cost the Packers a 1st round draft choice, and they are hopeful he can succeed in the NFL."

I watch that game on Youtube a couple of times a year, and every time I do I remember that game and being on the phone with my dad afterward. "Jesus, did you see that guy??!?"

Oh... and after the final touchdown, "And suddenly, Cincinatti finds itself one point behind, and Green Bay has the look of a winner with the red-hot gunslinger, Brett Favre."

What a game. Gonna watch it again right now.

Edit: And one of the last shots of the game, Ron Wolf up in the booth, covering his mouth with his hand to try to hide the enormous grin as he watches his pride and joy racing around the field, jumping up and down and waving his helmet around. Because Wolf just watched 2 hours of Favre completely validating his 2-year obsession with getting Favre on his team.

What a fun game.
    Last edited by Frozen Tundra; 03-24-2024 at 01:32 AM.

And we can never forget that that season was the reason we have the truest phrase in football: "After further review, the Bears still suck".
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    Older Packer fans will never forget Lindy Infante with Don the Magic Man that season.
    Went 10 -6

The team was often referred to as "The Cardiac Pack" due to several close-game wins.
    How weird that Lindy the Infant could have that one good year, but the rest of his tenure was a shambles.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    How weird that Lindy the Infant could have that one good year, but the rest of his tenure was a shambles.
    Packers were 7-3 in games decided by 6 points or less in 1989. His other years his teams found ways to lose close games. 2-6 his last year. Majkowski's regression, due to injuries I believe, had a lot to do with it.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

I hated Infante as a coach. The explanation for the one good year was luck more than anything else.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Blog Entries
    he was a really good OC; just not head coach material
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    And we can never forget that that season was the reason we have the truest phrase in football: "After further review, the Bears still suck".
    You're welcome!