Thread: NFL bans 'hip drop' tackle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fosco33 View Post
    This.

I saw the video explanation and it’s pretty easy to spot.
    I could show you a video explaining PI and it would be really easy to spot. I just won't show you the more iffy examples.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I could show you a video explaining PI and it would be really easy to spot. I just won't show you the more iffy examples.
    It would have to be a pretty long video. I think whether a tackle is a hp drop tackle has a more specific definition.

ARTICLE 1. DEFINITION
    It is pass interference by either team when any act by a player more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage significantly hinders an eligible player’s opportunity to catch the ball

ARTICLE 2. PROHIBITED ACTS BY BOTH TEAMS WHILE THE BALL IS IN THE AIR
    Acts that are pass interference include, but are not limited to:

Contact by a player who is not playing the ball that restricts the opponent’s opportunity to make the catch;

Playing through the back of an opponent in an attempt to make a play on the ball;

Grabbing an opponent’s arm(s) in such a manner that restricts his opportunity to catch a pass;

Extending an arm across the body of an opponent, thus restricting his ability to catch a pass, and regardless of whether the player committing such act is playing the ball;

Cutting off the path of an opponent by making contact with him, without playing the ball;

Hooking an opponent in an attempt to get to the ball in such a manner that it causes the opponent’s body to turn prior to the ball arriving; or
    Initiating contact with an opponent by shoving or pushing off, thus creating separation.

Note: If there is any question whether player contact is incidental, the ruling should be no interference.

ARTICLE 3. PERMISSIBLE ACTS BY BOTH TEAMS WHILE THE BALL IS IN THE AIR

Acts that are permissible by a player include, but are not limited to:

Incidental contact by an opponent’s hands, arms, or body when both players are competing for the ball, or neither player is looking for the ball. If there is any question whether contact is incidental, the ruling shall be no interference.

Inadvertent tangling of feet when both players are playing the ball or neither player is playing the ball.

Contact that would normally be considered pass interference, but the pass is clearly uncatchable by the involved players, except as specified in 8-3-2 and 8-5-4 pertaining to blocking downfield by the offense.

Laying a hand on an opponent that does not restrict him in an attempt to make a play on the ball.

Contact by a player who has gained position on an opponent in an attempt to catch the ball.
    Notes:
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen