Thread: A tale of two seasons

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    the change also happened when lefleur told love to stop over thinking and being too cautious, and just let the ball fly

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    the change also happened when lefleur told love to stop over thinking and being too cautious, and just let the ball fly
    That was exactly it and in several of Love’s interviews he has stated as much. He said Pepe called him in and said not to be worrying and just let it fly. Have to wonder how much was the fear of throwing INTs because the Texies of the world pointing out Saint Aaron’s low ratio. From what was said Love pretty much starting playing HIS game.

I like his style of play! Pay him now just don’t make it long.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    I doubt LaFleur ever said anything that stupid. The best thing about Love is that he in fact does play like Rodgers in terms of not throwing interceptions.

We certainly did hit it big on this bumper crop of good receivers, but I absolutely do think that it was more about Love making them better than vice versa.

Yeah, Love was playing HIS game, but his game fortunately, is a LOT like Rodgers' game.

Why did things get better the second half of the season? Hard to say. A bunch of factors mentioned by others as well as jitters overcome by experience and a dose of better luck. Whatever the cause, I fully expect the good things to continue into next season and long beyond.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I doubt LaFleur ever said anything that stupid. The best thing about Love is that he in fact does play like Rodgers in terms of not throwing interceptions.
    But you know, one of the things I love the most about Love is that even though he values protecting the ball, he doesn't seem to be as pathologically obsessed with "not throwing picks" as Rodgers was. I've said this 100 times, you could practically see the man working out his revised QB rating after every single pass, and sometimes I wondered if he was fixated on what each pass would do to his QB rating while he was still deciding whether or where to throw it.

Favre's style was loose, spontaneous, and often careless, and that was a big part of why he was so damned much fun to watch. But, also a big part of why a lot of Packer fans threw bricks through their TV screens in January.

Rodgers spent 3 years standing on the sideline next to McCarthy while (every time Brett threw a high risk pass, and god knows he threw a lot of them) McCarthy said, "see what he did there? don't do that." He probably came away with a long list of things Favre did that he shouldn't do. And when it was his turn, there were many, many times Rodgers seemed to prioritize mistake-free ball over keeping the damned drive alive and giving his team the best possible chance to win the game.

Love spent 3 years standing on the sideline next to LaFleur while Lafleur constantly told him, "see that? that was good, do that. But see that one? don't do that."

I'm thinking Love came away understanding that sometimes, a great quarterback needs to take a risk in order to make a play, which is something Rodgers friggin' hated to do. Aaron would rather eat the ball or throw it away than risk a pick, but sometimes a high-risk pass is the best (and even only) play a truly great QB can make.

I'm hoping Love will be the best of both worlds - a man who prioritizes protecting the ball and not making plays that are actually stupid-risky, but at the same time smart enough to understand that the smartest play in any given game situation might be to accept the risk and try to squeeze one in there in order to keep the drive alive - give your receiver a chance to make a play, at least. (Just maybe not quite like that season-ender against the Niners; hopefully he learned a big lesson from that).