Thread: The hamstring epidemic

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Funny what I was about to post and you suffering a hammy injury playing basketball (age probably was a factor). I was about to say the sudden stop/start 100%/0% nature of football is conducive to hamstring injuries. If you follow the NBA, hamstring injuries are relatively rare. NBA players are in constant motion and don't generally do the same kind of sudden acceleration that NFL players do (WR/CB/RB mostly).

My personal theory is that players need to keep moving and keep muscles warmed up as best they can. Its not about stretching as much as it is about just keeping it "ready" or warm.
    I would guess fewer injuries in basketball because you never get up to a full speed.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    I would guess fewer injuries in basketball because you never get up to a full speed.
    That's why I was so surprised when I did this. Not a classic strain of the hamstring muscle, but rather the top of the hamstring tendon, where the muscle tapers into the tendon. It was more a hyperextension and twisting move at the same time, because I planted my foot, pivoted, and made a sudden change of direction and rapid acceleration in the same movement. Too much stress from too many directions at once for a muscle that age, I guess.

My wife (who's 44) occasionally expresses the opinion that I've played as much basketball in this lifetime as I need to play, and cites this incident as evidence. She's probably right, because I know I play way too aggressively. If I have to dial it back a notch, I have a hard time even enjoying myself. Next time it'll be a patellar tendon or an Achilles.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Tundra View Post
    That's why I was so surprised when I did this. Not a classic strain of the hamstring muscle, but rather the top of the hamstring tendon, where the muscle tapers into the tendon. It was more a hyperextension and twisting move at the same time, because I planted my foot, pivoted, and made a sudden change of direction and rapid acceleration in the same movement. Too much stress from too many directions at once for a muscle that age, I guess.

My wife (who's 44) occasionally expresses the opinion that I've played as much basketball in this lifetime as I need to play, and cites this incident as evidence. She's probably right, because I know I play way too aggressively. If I have to dial it back a notch, I have a hard time even enjoying myself. Next time it'll be a patellar tendon or an Achilles.
    Basketball is hard to play old, especially if you're not taller than everyone else.