Thread: The hamstring epidemic

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    I would guess fewer injuries in basketball because you never get up to a full speed.
    That's why I was so surprised when I did this. Not a classic strain of the hamstring muscle, but rather the top of the hamstring tendon, where the muscle tapers into the tendon. It was more a hyperextension and twisting move at the same time, because I planted my foot, pivoted, and made a sudden change of direction and rapid acceleration in the same movement. Too much stress from too many directions at once for a muscle that age, I guess.

My wife (who's 44) occasionally expresses the opinion that I've played as much basketball in this lifetime as I need to play, and cites this incident as evidence. She's probably right, because I know I play way too aggressively. If I have to dial it back a notch, I have a hard time even enjoying myself. Next time it'll be a patellar tendon or an Achilles.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Tundra View Post
    That's why I was so surprised when I did this. Not a classic strain of the hamstring muscle, but rather the top of the hamstring tendon, where the muscle tapers into the tendon. It was more a hyperextension and twisting move at the same time, because I planted my foot, pivoted, and made a sudden change of direction and rapid acceleration in the same movement. Too much stress from too many directions at once for a muscle that age, I guess.

My wife (who's 44) occasionally expresses the opinion that I've played as much basketball in this lifetime as I need to play, and cites this incident as evidence. She's probably right, because I know I play way too aggressively. If I have to dial it back a notch, I have a hard time even enjoying myself. Next time it'll be a patellar tendon or an Achilles.
    Basketball is hard to play old, especially if you're not taller than everyone else.