Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
Cooper makes the most sense if they draft him as a safety. He is big for a CB and a very willing tackler. Iowa product which the team likes. Its hard to predict Gutes brain, but I think DeJean in the first is likely....I also think they will probably trade up a few spots to make it happen.
I think that's the most likely scenario, or at least I like to hope it's most likely. My fantasy is that they trade up into the teens for DeJean. ESPN floats what I thought was a very realistic trade proposal that sends our #25 and #58 to Cincinnati for their #18 and #97, or possibly the same two picks to Indianapolis for their #15 and #97 (which I think is a much worse deal for us, and less realistic than the first proposal).

The Bengals proposal works out great for us, and I think DeJean will still be there at #18. Between #1 and #17, you're probably going to see 5 quarterbacks, at least 2 and likely 3 OT, at least 2 and likely 3 WR, at least 2 and possibly 4 DL/edge, a couple of players who are premium CB, and at least 1 player named Brock Bowers. A very good chance DeJean will still be there.

15? He's almost a certainty to be there. 18? A little less so, but if I had to bet, I'd put money on it. I can't think of another player we have a realistic chance to draft in Round 1 (without breaking the bank) who would have a better chance of making a major difference in the 24 playoff run than DeJean.

History suggests that this is the sort of deal Gute would make, too. In his 6 drafts, Gute has made 10 draft day trades, 4 of them in Round 1 - 3 of those being trade-ups to get the player that he felt was his top priority. This is not Ted Thompson, a man who only made one draft day trade in his life - and that one being a 7th round swap to draft Brett Hundley. As I look at the board, I think a trade up or trade down in the 1st are more likely than not, with a trade up seeming most probable. And this is one that seems like it would make a lot of sense.