Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lazy-Rat Packer fan’s 1st round predictions?

Lazy-Rat Packer fan’s 1st round predictions?

You guys know me, a pile of you fellow Packer fans are cooler than ever.

With a week to go lads, please give me your 1st round prediction - and player only.

Here’s mine:

DB Cooper DeJean, Iowa

Payton Wilson, LB, NC State

Kool-Aid McKinstry - CB - Alabama
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Cooper makes the most sense if they draft him as a safety. He is big for a CB and a very willing tackler. Iowa product which the team likes. Its hard to predict Gutes brain, but I think DeJean in the first is likely....I also think they will probably trade up a few spots to make it happen.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Dejean.

Nobody.

Trades out of the first, and loads up on 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks via several trades both down and up.

i learned to stop picking favorites a couple years ago

that way, you don't get crushed when they don't draft one of the guys you like

we have zero say in what the team does, we're just a long for the ride. all the mock drafts and research we all do is actually just a giant waste of time

just wait for the team to make its move, and go "ok, i guess thats the guy the team likes"

sure its fun speculating, but its all useless and frustrating in the end

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    i learned to stop picking favorites a couple years ago

that way, you don't get crushed when they don't draft one of the guys you like

we have zero say in what the team does, we're just a long for the ride. all the mock drafts and research we all do is actually just a giant waste of time

just wait for the team to make its move, and go "ok, i guess thats the guy the team likes"

sure its fun speculating, but its all useless and frustrating in the end

I take the same approach, but I do like seeing guys with really good track records. It’s a lot of information to sort through and I think people who succeed at predicting NFL success are pretty talented.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Nobody.

Trades out of the first, and loads up on 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks via several trades both down and up.
    TT won a SB trading down so maybe that’s the path to glory. I read this Cooper guy snapped his fibula in practice! Maybe the koolaid chuggers here need to quit listening to ESPN. The 25 pick is almost 2nd pretty much so trade that shit or they might end up taking a QB.

Nobody.

Hahahahahaha.

Oh, wait..... you're not kidding.

I certainly wouldn't say I don't care about the draft, first round and on down. I feel kinda like what red said above, though. The time I remember most when I got really fired up about a Packer first rounder where they took who I really wanted was Jamal Reynolds, and that one didn't end well.

They're gonna take who they're gonna take, never mind what any of us want or predict. I'd rather just do research, etc. after the Packers actually take somebody.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    Nobody.

Hahahahahaha.

Oh, wait..... you're not kidding.
    Actually, I was.
    Have I ever given pre-draft opinions about players, or who GB should draft?

I have been of Red's current opinion since long before he saw the light. I spend virtually no time thinking about who they might take and read very little about scouts' opinions until after the draft. Then I read about the 8 to 12 or so actual draft picks they've made and don't worry about the others.

With that background, "Nobody" is the only prediction I can make, and there is a history of them emphasizing the accumulation of midround picks.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Cooper makes the most sense if they draft him as a safety. He is big for a CB and a very willing tackler. Iowa product which the team likes. Its hard to predict Gutes brain, but I think DeJean in the first is likely....I also think they will probably trade up a few spots to make it happen.
    I think that's the most likely scenario, or at least I like to hope it's most likely. My fantasy is that they trade up into the teens for DeJean. ESPN floats what I thought was a very realistic trade proposal that sends our #25 and #58 to Cincinnati for their #18 and #97, or possibly the same two picks to Indianapolis for their #15 and #97 (which I think is a much worse deal for us, and less realistic than the first proposal).

The Bengals proposal works out great for us, and I think DeJean will still be there at #18. Between #1 and #17, you're probably going to see 5 quarterbacks, at least 2 and likely 3 OT, at least 2 and likely 3 WR, at least 2 and possibly 4 DL/edge, a couple of players who are premium CB, and at least 1 player named Brock Bowers. A very good chance DeJean will still be there.

15? He's almost a certainty to be there. 18? A little less so, but if I had to bet, I'd put money on it. I can't think of another player we have a realistic chance to draft in Round 1 (without breaking the bank) who would have a better chance of making a major difference in the 24 playoff run than DeJean.

History suggests that this is the sort of deal Gute would make, too. In his 6 drafts, Gute has made 10 draft day trades, 4 of them in Round 1 - 3 of those being trade-ups to get the player that he felt was his top priority. This is not Ted Thompson, a man who only made one draft day trade in his life - and that one being a 7th round swap to draft Brett Hundley. As I look at the board, I think a trade up or trade down in the 1st are more likely than not, with a trade up seeming most probable. And this is one that seems like it would make a lot of sense.

Actually, I was.
    Have I ever given pre-draft opinions about players, or who GB should draft?

I have been of Red's current opinion since long before he saw the light. I spend virtually no time thinking about who they might take and read very little about scouts' opinions until after the draft. Then I read about the 8 to 12 or so actual draft picks they've made and don't worry about the others.

With that background, "Nobody" is the only prediction I can make, and there is a history of them emphasizing the accumulation of midround picks.
    Isn't vicariously living through a bunch of athletes a giant waste of time by definition?? As is vicariously living through a GM. But its what we do. We are fans.

Frozen, you are right about Gutes, but your TT description is off. TT traded up for Clay, and often in the middle rounds. He traded back often as well. Gutes is nearly a TT clone to be honest, but he is more aggressive in FA overall. But again, people forget TT signed Pickett, Woodson and Peppers.
    Last edited by bobblehead; 04-21-2024 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Isn't vicariously living through a bunch of athletes a giant waste of time by definition?? As is vicariously living through a GM. But its what we do. We are fans.

Frozen, you are right about Gutes, but your TT description is off. TT traded up for Clay, and often in the middle rounds. He traded back often as well. Gutes is nearly a TT clone to be honest, but he is more aggressive in FA overall. But again, people forget TT signed Pickett, Woodson and Peppers.
    TT was often misunderstood, as you suggest. He also signed a number of lesser name free agents who contributed a lot, like Letroi Guion who ended up starting most of the year Raji was injured and Brandon Chiller who was maybe the best coverage LB the Packers have had in a while. Chiller had a very prominent role for a number of years until shoulder and knee injuries pretty much did him in.

When the draft was just two days, he said one time that he felt early R4 picks were very valuable starting the second day, because there was time to reconsider how the draft was going and players maybe overlooked in day 1.
    Last edited by Patler; 04-21-2024 at 02:34 PM.

I think it's a 1st round trade down and Graham Barton is the pick, he just seems like a packer pick, plays all OL positions, probably a guard or RT for us. I would prefer Troy Fautanu if he falls, dude just seems like a nasty piece our O-line has never had, love to see him in Green and gold.

Quote Originally Posted by jklowan View Post
    I think it's a 1st round trade down and Graham Barton is the pick, he just seems like a packer pick, plays all OL positions, probably a guard or RT for us
    If they think he can play Tackle, he's a Packer-type pick. But if not, they haven't drafted an IOL in the 1st round in 30 years.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Christian Watsons dad (ex safety) thinks Dejean plays a game like Ed reed. So there’s that.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    Christian Watsons dad (ex safety) thinks Dejean plays a game like Ed reed. So there’s that.
    That kid seems to be rising!
    A couple days ago I read there are 3 teams ahead of us who could use Dejean. You never know.

Keep the predictions coming Packer fans.
    Last edited by Vincenzo; 04-21-2024 at 05:11 PM.

TT was often misunderstood, as you suggest. He also signed a number of lesser name free agents who contributed a lot, like Letroi Guion who ended up starting most of the year Raji was injured and Brandon Chiller who was maybe the best coverage LB the Packers have had in a while. Chiller had a very prominent role for a number of years until shoulder and knee injuries pretty much did him in.

When the draft was just two days, he said one time that he felt early R4 picks were very valuable starting the second day, because there was time to reconsider how the draft was going and players maybe overlooked in day 1.
    I thought I was the only rat who appreciated Brandon Chiller. Its nice to see someone else noticed he was a solid pro.