Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2024 1st Round Pick #25 Overall Jordan Morgan

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    ^Sherrid Derrick.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I know! Scotty Campbell, that old rogue. Glad to see him back.

You know who this pick reminds me of? The Bryan Bulaga pick back in 2010. Nobody was excited about that pick - just a ho-hum, solid guy. Granted, the Cowboys picked Dez Bryant right after that, but at the time the Pack had a stable of wide receivers.

The pick should not surprise us. There were offensive linemen flying off the board by then, and this guy hits those Green Bay traits. Athletic, big but not freaky, good work at the Senior Bowl, and most importantly, versatile. Consider:

Zach Tom
    Tom Zach

Could go either way.

Jordan Morgan
    Morgan Jordan

Uh-huh. See?

Like most of you, the pick doesn't excite me. However, I have to remind myself that a year ago I was fuming that the Packers passed on Brian Branch to trade back for some extra shitty later picks, and then picked some "meh" guy from Michigan State - that Jayden Reed guy. I was so pissed.

So - shows you what I know.

In Guter we trust, cuz we have no other choice.

So here's to hoping the guy ends up being one of those guys whose name you never hear called because he always does the job.
    Sherrod Derrick.

That's not a good comparison. Sherrod was a bit more of a dancing bear - seems like this guy is a better run-blocker.

I'm not thrilled, but what do I know? The offensive linemen were flying off the board at that point, though the prosepect of Terion Arnold in the Green and Gold was exciting.

I also wanted to add this: that in trading up, the Loins gave up a third round pick, so now they have a hole in the middle of their draft - a second rounder, yes, but no third or fourth round picks.

I wonder if Minny has the same issue now after their recent first-round trade.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Bahktiari had 34 inch arms, Bulaga 33.25

https://ras.football/2019/12/24/bryan-bulaga-ras/
    https://ras.football/2019/12/27/david-bakhtiari-ras/

I have no idea what you are talking about.
    My bad. I had looked at combine results from a different Jordan Morgan. I think it's fair to say the Packers aren't afraid to take a Tackle with shorter arms as long as the footwork is there.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

The many iterations of Dean Lowry.

The top of the second round looks loaded. As George said, watch the Packers take another offensive lineman in the top of the second, and watch Packer Nation foam at the mouth and the top of their head explode.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Hoody Genius likes Jordan Morgan. https://twitter.com/mattschneidman/s...first-round%2F

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post

Hmm ; is that good or bad that my buddy Hoody Genius.....AKA....Greatest coach, but maybe the worst GM likes it
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    If he makes our OL stronger, and I think he does, I'm fine with the pick. With two trade ups that occured after we picked, I still wonder why we didn't trade down though.

SIDENOTE; I really don't want to offer up our 3rd/4th round picks to trade up. I think the draft is prettty deep this year. Stay the course, unless somebody really offers a lot to move up a bit with GB.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Sorry for disappearing since the combine, just couldn't commit to Packerrats.

Anyways. I just didn't think you needed to reach into the first round for an offensive lineman. I am not saying it wasn't a need for the Packers, but I just thought there was reasonable talent throughout the draft at the offensive line position. I think the run on offensive lineman put the fear of god into Gute and he had to have someone in his top 2 tiers.

Morgan and Paul were the fastest risers in the draft at the tackle position along with Rosengarten from Washington. They were all in my 2nd or top of my 3rd tier. Morgan offers some flexibility at guard. He played 98% of his snaps at left tackle at Arizona, which means he is comfortable on the outside. I thought he looks good in space. I think he has more of impact in 2024 and 2025 then Guyton and Mims who were both projected to go higher than him. I see nothing wrong with DeJean at 25. He offers a lot of flexibility in the secondary. Packers have the capital to move up and get him or Kool-Aid in the early 2nd round if they want to. I am also really ok with them drafting Edgrin Cooper at LB as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell View Post
    At 1:00 he looks like he gets blown back onto his heels with a hump move, but makes a seemingly remarkable recovery. Any of you old lineman have an opinion?
    No way!! Welcome back man!!
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    If he makes our OL stronger, and I think he does, I'm fine with the pick. With two trade ups that occured after we picked, I still wonder why we didn't trade down though.

SIDENOTE; I really don't want to offer up our 3rd/4th round picks to trade up. I think the draft is prettty deep this year. Stay the course, unless somebody really offers a lot to move up a bit with GB.
    My guess is he was concerned about there being a run on OT's so didn't want to trade down and miss out.

Gutekunst said he had multiple options to trade back from No. 25, both to later in the first round and out of it entirely, and that he realized early in the night that he wouldn’t trade up because several players the Packers identified as trade-up targets didn’t fall far enough. With Morgan still available and where the Packers would’ve traded back to, Gutekunst didn’t feel comfortable retreating and instead grabbed his guy, sticking with one first-round pick at his original spot for only the second time in seven drafts as general manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    My guess is he was concerned about there being a run on OT's so didn't want to trade down and miss out.
    I think the bit you pasted about Guter having offers to trade down but not wanting to do so was interesting. First, it tells me he might've been considering a different o-lineman to trade up for, since defensive players were falling down the board faster than a drunk on Xanax. Had he wanted, say, Terion Arnold, he could've traded up for him, but no. I'm guessing the trade-down-but-still-first-round option was the Chiefs. That tells me Guter thought that Guyton, Graham-Barton, and Morgan would be gone by #32, and he obviously didn't like that Powers-Johnson-Powers guy or whatever his name is.

Now, will he go up and get a defender this evening, like Dejean or McKinstry, or will he sit tight?

KYPack

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    I think the bit you pasted about Guter having offers to trade down but not wanting to do so was interesting. First, it tells me he might've been considering a different o-lineman to trade up for, since defensive players were falling down the board faster than a drunk on Xanax. Had he wanted, say, Terion Arnold, he could've traded up for him, but no. I'm guessing the trade-down-but-still-first-round option was the Chiefs. That tells me Guter thought that Guyton, Graham-Barton, and Morgan would be gone by #32, and he obviously didn't like that Powers-Johnson-Powers guy or whatever his name is.

Now, will he go up and get a defender this evening, like Dejean or McKinstry, or will he sit tight?
    I think most GM's operate within their tiers of players. You are not trading out of a slot if there is only one offensive lineman left in your first round tier and also if he is one of the last remaining in the first or second tier. Also they could have liked Morgan way more than several other top tier media OL in this draft. Obviously Morgan was rated higher than any of the defensive players left as well. My guess is that the Packers really liked Mitchell from Toledo and he went off the board before they could figure out how to trade up and get him. Same with Washington offensive lineman

I expect Koolaid is off their board with that injury. They tried that with Lacy already. Not something you want at CB.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    Sorry for disappearing since the combine, just couldn't commit to Packerrats.

Anyways. I just didn't think you needed to reach into the first round for an offensive lineman. I am not saying it wasn't a need for the Packers, but I just thought there was reasonable talent throughout the draft at the offensive line position. I think the run on offensive lineman put the fear of god into Gute and he had to have someone in his top 2 tiers.

Morgan and Paul were the fastest risers in the draft at the tackle position along with Rosengarten from Washington. They were all in my 2nd or top of my 3rd tier. Morgan offers some flexibility at guard. He played 98% of his snaps at left tackle at Arizona, which means he is comfortable on the outside. I thought he looks good in space. I think he has more of impact in 2024 and 2025 then Guyton and Mims who were both projected to go higher than him. I see nothing wrong with DeJean at 25. He offers a lot of flexibility in the secondary. Packers have the capital to move up and get him or Kool-Aid in the early 2nd round if they want to. I am also really ok with them drafting Edgrin Cooper at LB as well.
    Trading up for DeJean and taking Shipley in the 3rd would make me jolly.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    No way!! Welcome back man!!
    Campbell is a poor man’s Prof Rand.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    yep, as expected, I hate the pick
    also, probably woulda been there at 41

lol

Well, he's a Packer now so I'll be rooting for him. Along with Guyton he was on my do not like list. Would have preferred Barton or Dejean. In fairness, I had Rashan Gary and Jordan Love on that list in years past, so what do I know. Also, I'm a little drunk, so there's that.
    Run, you're a sharp guy. What logic are you using to be so sure he would be there at 41? Same logic that said we had to trade up if we wanted DeJean at 25? Mock drafts? The truth is we simply have no way to know if he would have been there at 26 other than Mel Kipers stellar track record.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    Y’all will have to wait til the draft’s conclusion for my ingenious 2024 “Mastery Mockery of a Grade,” but this Morgan pick gets a big fat F.

Ain’t too late to salvage the draft. German Shepherd has gotta find a way to draft DeJean. And RB Will Shipley!
    I hope he turns out about the same as when you gave "the center" a big fat F.

The many iterations of Dean Lowry.

The top of the second round looks loaded. As George said, watch the Packers take another offensive lineman in the top of the second, and watch Packer Nation foam at the mouth and the top of their head explode.
    If they take another OL I'll be amped. First thing I will do is put $500 on Josh Jacobs to win another rushing title. Hell, I might do that regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post

41 and our 4th to move up to 33 and take DeJean? You wouldn't like that?