Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2024 1st Round Pick #25 Overall Jordan Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    Sorry for disappearing since the combine, just couldn't commit to Packerrats.

Anyways. I just didn't think you needed to reach into the first round for an offensive lineman. I am not saying it wasn't a need for the Packers, but I just thought there was reasonable talent throughout the draft at the offensive line position. I think the run on offensive lineman put the fear of god into Gute and he had to have someone in his top 2 tiers.

Morgan and Paul were the fastest risers in the draft at the tackle position along with Rosengarten from Washington. They were all in my 2nd or top of my 3rd tier. Morgan offers some flexibility at guard. He played 98% of his snaps at left tackle at Arizona, which means he is comfortable on the outside. I thought he looks good in space. I think he has more of impact in 2024 and 2025 then Guyton and Mims who were both projected to go higher than him. I see nothing wrong with DeJean at 25. He offers a lot of flexibility in the secondary. Packers have the capital to move up and get him or Kool-Aid in the early 2nd round if they want to. I am also really ok with them drafting Edgrin Cooper at LB as well.
    2 things. I don't think the run at OL impacted this pick at all. He is a total Gutes pick. Dominated the senior bowl. Mountain of starts at LT. Morgan isn't even close to the same tier at Paul or Rosengarten imo. He would have been a slam dunk first round top 20 in most drafts.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

I like his experience and versatility. I’m not sold on his strength and mean streak. Hopefully he gets to 100% and can grow into being a little more stout. I would’ve preferred Arnold when he dropped so far, but I don’t hate this pick.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

I few thoughts since last night's kneejerk reaction:

(1) I think DET getting Terrion Arnold at 24 is a steal. My guess is Gute wanted premium to trade with a division foe and DET could get ahead of them by trading same value. (If CHI wanted to trade with you, wouldn't you want to extract a pound of flesh?)

(2) It sounds like other teams picking after GB were also high on Jordan Morgan, there was a rumor BAL liked him and he would've been under strong consideration with their pick. IOW, he probably would NOT have lasted until 41.

(3) Some fans are posting links to videos and saying this guy is a really good pass blocker. Morgan has a lot of experience, is a good athlete, and is still 22 years old, so he's Packers-y. I'll be curious to see where they play him, and if he's really as good as they say.

(4) I only watched a little bit of him, I thought he was 'ok' but I liked him better than Guyton for sure. Mims scared the hell out of me because he's been hurt so much and has a long development curve. I'm ok with the pick.

(5) I still would have taken a long look at Barton or Dejean, but if they think this kid can play OT I get it. He can probably at least play swing tackle Day 1. I'd rather give him a shot than Andre Dillard.

(6) Do NOT want to trade up. Those 4 Day 2 picks are gold.

(7) Consensus boards and draftnik sites are nice, but they often lack the medical and character stuff. What's between the ears matters.

(8) It's a meh, wait-and-see, unsexy pick. It is absolutely critical to raise the level of play on the OL -- they need to be able to protect Jordan Love at all costs, and the also need to run block better than they did last year, especially the first half of the season. If this improves the OL, and thus the offense, it's a good pick.

(9) Dejean and Shipley? Sure, but not giving up the farm for Dejean. Shipley can be had later; he's a homeless person's CMC (i.e., not even a poor man's CMC) but could see him as complement to Jacobs.

(10) I'll stop now. I'm ok with the pick, if a bit underwhelmed. I blame the whole build-up to the event; it's always a bit of an anticlimax, especially if you're picking in the mid/late 20's.

I'm not spending shit to move up for a CB until either Cooper or Kool-Aid get picked.

100% agree that Morgan just SCREAMS Ravens to me. Surely they'd have picked him.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    2 things. I don't think the run at OL impacted this pick at all. He is a total Gutes pick. Dominated the senior bowl. Mountain of starts at LT. Morgan isn't even close to the same tier at Paul or Rosengarten imo. He would have been a slam dunk first round top 20 in most drafts.
    2 things. I don't believe in drafting offensive linemen in the first round, and I didn't expect Morgan to go in the first round but I figured first tackle off the board in the 2nd round with Paul and Rosengarten following behind. The BYU guy could fit somewhere in there as well. The Yale guy I don't know if you trust him to give you quality snaps in 2024.

Morgan was a solid second tier OT in this draft.

Tier 1
    Alt
    Fauga
    Fashanu
    Fautanu
    Latham

Tier 2
    Mims
    Morgan
    Guyton

Tier 3
    Paul
    Rosengarten
    Saumataia
    Amegadjie

Like I stated I think he is more polished than Mims or Guyton, Mim has ridiculous upside though. I don't think the Packers could have traded down because the Cowboys traded back and took Guyton, and my opinion I don't think they were thrilled with the pick as that dude is gonna need some time. If Morgan was there guy they needed to stay at 25. If they saw that much difference between him and the other guys then I get it, I just don't like O linemen in the first round.

Silverstein said Packers were likely glad when Lions made trade with Cowboys because Cowboys were probably going to be drafting OL 1st round. Cowboys ended up taking Tyler Guyton at 29.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

I'm surprised that Guter wasn't higher on Arnold. That kid will lock down a corner spot for the next six or seven years.

And I agree with Run that Morgan is not a sexy pick, and we all like sexy, but in actual value to the team this pick might be just fine. If he can play a tackle spot for ten years and be upper tier, he's a very good pick. All this draft build-up does contribute to our expectations, too. It's crazy. So - I wonder, are Jets fans also feeling deflated because the team chose a tackle, or are they jacked because he was for many people the #1 tackle prospect?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

When people watch tape of Morgan from 2023, they need to keep in mind they're watching a guy who tore his ACL in November 2022. Sometimes it takes guys with an ACL a full year to get back to 100%. There's a decent chance he'll be more fluid and explosive than the guy you see from 2023.

"The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I hope he turns out about the same as when you gave "the center" a big fat F.
    You want Morgan to be a bum tackle and ok guard with the ability to hike the rock? Cos that’s Jenkins in a nutshell.

Oh, and DK Metcalf woulda looked great in the Green and Mustard Yellow.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Has any of the Packer Staff come out and say if Morgan is going to compete for a tackle or guard spot? Too soon to say? Just curious. Usually when they're drafted they say the position the team expects that player to play at, like Barton last night was drafted as a Center, but he could play anywhere for any other team.

Quote Originally Posted by pittstang5 View Post
    Has any of the Packer Staff come out and say if Morgan is going to compete for a tackle or guard spot? Too soon to say? Just curious. Usually when they're drafted they say the position the team expects that player to play at, like Barton last night was drafted as a Center, but he could play anywhere for any other team.
    Nothing yet. Gutey just keeps saying they think he can play 4 positions. I would think they'll move him around in OTA's/minicamp and see how he reacts to being inside.

Link to Gutey's PC. https://www.packers.com/video/brian-...2024-nfl-draft

Yeah all I've heard is they think he can play 4 spots on the line, which is interesting because he's been a T his entire career at AZ. I think his lack of length does show at times, so I think he's ultimately a RG and pushes Rhyan to the bench. I'd give him a shot at T first though. He's got good feet and seems like he's had some good coaching... he's still got some upside.

Training camp is going to be bonkers - they are going to be moving guys all over to see where they fit best to find "their top 5 guys". I wonder if they will have a slow start to the season as a result because it takes time for an OL to gel.

Word is GB didn't even take the full 10 minutes to turn in the pick - they saw he was there, a trade down wasn't appealing and took their guy. With how they've done on some of their recent OL picks there's room for optimism.

Blog Entries
    "reports" that Washinton was trying to move up to get Morgan and JJ admitted he was on the short list of guys Jerry was considering.

What did the Lions give up to move up in the draft ? Wilde noted they contact the Packers
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Dude looked a bit like Bakh in the little of the film I've watched since last night. Nice feet. He looks like he should get overpowered, but just does the job. Has a bit more upper body strength than you'd think. I'm not unhappy with this pick. Uglem had a nice clip of him shutting out all of the top rushers he faced (Thibodeaux and some others from this year's draft).

This coming from the guy (me) who was spot on about Zach Tom (in a good way) and Josh Myers (in a bad way).
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    "reports" that Washinton was trying to move up to get Morgan and JJ admitted he was on the short list of guys Jerry was considering.

What did the Lions give up to move up in the draft ? Wilde noted they contact the Packers
    Hoodie Genius likes the pick and said there was no way he was dropping out of the 1st round.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Lions gave up their third round pick to move up, and get a seventh back from the Cowboys in 2025.

KYPack

This seems like and incredibly safe pick. Just a really reliable person. Hard working. Great in the lockerroom. Really good size and athletic ability. Fairly polished. I think fritz said Bulaga…. This guy might have a little more upside and maybe a touch less polish, but similar in the sense of being a really safe OT pick.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Tom and Walker are going to be up for contracts in two years. Might be able to trade one next year or at least get the 3rd round comp pick when one of them leaves if that’s how it goes.

I’d rather see the new guy as a backup at least the first half of the year this year. But if Rhyan is a tire fire, there might be another option.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

And I don't doubt the Packers will add another body or two to that room today.

KYPack