Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2024 1st Round Pick #25 Overall Jordan Morgan

2024 1st Round Pick #25 Overall Jordan Morgan

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/jordan...ing-report-631

Positional Skills:

Strengths

From a physical makeup standpoint, Morgan has the tools to be successful at the next level. While his measurements are not overwhelming on paper, Morgan is well built and has a thick frame.

In pass protection, this functional strength allows Morgan to hold his ground effectively and stay firm versus power rushers. He has strong hands and is able to land them under an opponent’s shoulders and control them from there.

Morgan has all the athletic ability he needs. He moves well in space and is able to clear out defenders he locks in on. His quick feet allow him to keep up with rushers trying to get to the edge, or catch up if he falls behind. If he looks beat, Morgan can recover and steer defenders around his quarterback.

The biggest compliment to give Morgan is that it is simply hard to beat him in pass protection. He can keep up against speed and hold up against power. There is no surefire solution. He is not flashy, but is clean, balanced and in control.

In the run game, Morgan’s can fire off the snap and quickly get into position to wall defenders off and open holes.

The athleticism Morgan shows on tape was confirmed during pre-draft testing, where he achieved a 9.24 Relative Athletic Score (RAS) out of a possible 10, putting him in the 92nd percentile of all offensive tackles who have ever taken part in pre-draft testing.

He did not complete the agility drills, but earned an ‘elite’ speed score, headlined by a 10-yard split ranking in the 98th percentile, and a ‘good’ explosion score.

Weaknesses

Despite his good functional strength, there are still times when Morgan can be susceptible to the bull rush and give up too much ground. Washington’s Bralen Trice gave him a tough time during their 2023 matchup.

At 6’5” even, he is on the shorter end for an offensive tackle, ranking in the 39th percentile historically, which could be a contributing factor, as could his shorter arms, which are more guard length than tackle length.

Morgan is not a mauler in the run game, he gets the job done just fine but is not a difference maker. In pass protection, he can overset at times and be vulnerable to inside moves.

Some teams may see Morgan as a guard in the NFL due to his shorter arms, but he has not played any significant snaps there during his career so far, making him something of a projection if he ends up playing inside.

While there is plenty that is good about Morgan, it can be argued there is nothing truly great or outstanding.

Fit with the Packers:

Overall, Morgan just gets his job done in both the pass and run game, and possesses the strength and movement ability required to continue to perform at the next level. He looks like a player who will be able to hang at tackle, rather than having to kick inside.

He fits the Packers’ general preferences at the offensive line position, in terms of both size and athleticism, although his decision not to complete the agility testing could be an issue for Green Bay.

If his shorter arms make him a guard in the Packers’ eyes, which is by no means a given, it could dissuade them from selecting him where they would need to, which is probably pick 41 at the latest.

Morgan would be a quality addition to Green Bay’s offensive line room and could compete immediately with Rasheed Walker to start at left tackle. He has a good chance of hearing his name called by the Packers on draft weekend.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sorry Cooper lovin hoes, that other Jordan being Loved is crucial so I’m good with this pick.

Morgan's arm length is less than ideal for a Tackle, but half an inch longer than Bakhtiari's. About 1.5 inches longer than Bulaga's.

What kind of short ass arms to Bulaga whale have? My goodness. Homie is like the Dean Lowry of offensive linemen.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Morgan's arm length is less than ideal for a Tackle, but half an inch longer than Bakhtiari's. About 1.5 inches longer than Bulaga's.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/202...jordan-morgan/

Watch this pass rep in the video. If that isn't the Bakhtiari hug technique I don't know what is. If he can do it without getting called for holding like Bak did for a decade we got a genuine stud.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    At 1:00 he looks like he gets blown back onto his heels with a hump move, but makes a seemingly remarkable recovery. Any of you old lineman have an opinion?

yep, as expected, I hate the pick
    also, probably woulda been there at 41

lol

Well, he's a Packer now so I'll be rooting for him. Along with Guyton he was on my do not like list. Would have preferred Barton or Dejean. In fairness, I had Rashan Gary and Jordan Love on that list in years past, so what do I know. Also, I'm a little drunk, so there's that.

I have total confidence in Gute because he does this for a living and has a very good record of demonstrated success, so I won't question this pick. If he says it's the best player available for Green Bay at this point, I have to accept that, because he's earned that deference.

But I can't help wondering what it was he saw in Morgan that just jumps out, that he couldn't have found 4 or 5 or 8 picks later if he'd dropped back. Or maybe he tried, and nobody would go for it. Who knows. Hell; maybe he's really pissed and frustrated that he couldn't work a trade. Who knows.

He just doesn't jump out at me at #25. Gute historically goes for impact players in Round One; not necessarily always immediate impact, but someone who at some point is going to be a real, significant difference maker. A guy who can change the course of the game when he's called upon. And considering that Gute has said that he feels we are in our Super Bowl window right now, I was expecting someone who would be exactly that.

But I just don't see a difference maker when i look at Morgan. He doesn't seem to bring anything that at least a half dozen other players would not have brought with them on Day Two. Not for a team that's looking to challenge for the Lombardi next February.

"While there is plenty that is good about Morgan, it can be argued there is nothing truly great or outstanding."

I trust Gute to know what he's doing and why he does it, but that's just not the summary I was hoping to hear about our 1st Round pick. If that's really the best that can still be said about him 2 or 3 years into his career, I think he's going to be remembered as a poor pick.
    Last edited by Frozen Tundra; 04-25-2024 at 11:49 PM.

Bahktiari had 34 inch arms, Bulaga 33.25

https://ras.football/2019/12/24/bryan-bulaga-ras/
    https://ras.football/2019/12/27/david-bakhtiari-ras/

I have no idea what you are talking about.

I obviously would have been against any O Lineman in the first round, but as was said, he's ours now, so all we can do is hope for the best. He probably will have a great career and get a lot of praise, maybe even become the new sacred cow, and all because of the excellence the Packers have at the skilled positions to make him seem better than he is. I like the idea that he's supposed to be a good run blocker and gets compared to Tyron Smith. Also, he kinda seems like the kind of versatile O Lineman the Packers like who can be plugged in pretty much anywhere in the line.

We didn't really have any urgent needs, and we still have a LOT of picks to bring in depth and take flyers on prospects or projects. So a big whatever to the first round.

One thing I also like is that most or all of our main rivals seem to have taken possible, maybe probable busts on the way to happening. I've been saying all along that the Bears were stupid to give up on Fields and take Caleb Williams.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell View Post
    At 1:00 he looks like he gets blown back onto his heels with a hump move, but makes a seemingly remarkable recovery. Any of you old lineman have an opinion?
    Well look at this, the phoenix rising. What’s up man! You like the pick mofo or Cooper crying like others?

JoMo protecting JoLo.

Kid's feet are nifty AF.

Watching the vid Joe posted, he looks super poised and confident. One one of the runs, he get to the second level really fast.

At this point, In Gute I Trust.

Very happy with the pick. I've been crying for more OL for years. Great start to the draft. We lost the 2020 NFCCG on the Oline. Where you win in the playoffs. No complaints. No regrets from me.

I did have him off my Packers board because of injury, but at second look he's not like Mims or Guyton (huge guys that have injury & balance issues). BB seemed to really like him as well. Solid pick. Also, Gute had trade down options. So, they liked him. Biggest need imo, though I'd talked myself into saying the Oline was ok. ... not for a playoff run.

..........bonus: Minnesota gave up a ton of picks for 2 players.
    Last edited by Jaire; 04-26-2024 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    Well look at this, the phoenix rising. What’s up man! You like the pick mofo or Cooper crying like others?
    Who knows. It's like buying lottery tickets. I like the position, as O-line play in the NFL has fallen off a cliff, and guys are really scarce.

It's looking like they got the guy they really wanted at that spot. Gute said they turned down multiple offers to move down, including one from Detroit. They also weren't able to move up high enough to get another player they were targeting. They also turned their pick in almost immediately, which I think speaks to them being happy that they got their guy.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Y’all will have to wait til the draft’s conclusion for my ingenious 2024 “Mastery Mockery of a Grade,” but this Morgan pick gets a big fat F.

Ain’t too late to salvage the draft. German Shepherd has gotta find a way to draft DeJean. And RB Will Shipley!
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell View Post
    It's looking like they got the guy they really wanted at that spot. Gute said they turned down multiple offers to move down, including one from Detroit. They also weren't able to move up high enough to get another player they were targeting. They also turned their pick in almost immediately, which I think speaks to them being happy that they got their guy.
    No kidding? He said that? Well, that's really cool. Very reassuring. Like I said, he wouldn't have been my choice, and I was quite surprised, but if Gute is good with it I'll take that and not complain. The man knows his job better than I do. I did wonder whether he tried to deal it and couldn't find a dance partner, but if he was turning down legit offers because this was His Guy, I'm a lot more comfortable. I'm sure he has some plans for Day Two to fill the needs I was hoping he'd fill on Day One. Can't wait to see what they are.

Thanks for sharing that information. I sure woud be curious to know what offers he turned down, but we'll probably never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    Y’all will have to wait til the draft’s conclusion for my ingenious 2024 “Mastery Mockery of a Grade,” but this Morgan pick gets a big fat F.

Ain’t too late to salvage the draft. German Shepherd has gotta find a way to draft DeJean. And RB Will Shipley!
    The DeJean ship has likely already left port, but there are some pretty good "Plan B" safety prospects out there for Friday. As fans, we all want the shiniest objects at every single pick, but an awful lot of top teams have rosters stuffed at quite a lot of key positions who will never be pro-blowers but are still damned good. Lots of those players can be found in Day Two and Day Three.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Tundra View Post
    The DeJean ship has likely already left port, but there are some pretty good "Plan B" safety prospects out there for Friday. As fans, we all want the shiniest objects at every single pick, but an awful lot of top teams have rosters stuffed at quite a lot of key positions who will never be pro-blowers but are still damned good. Lots of those players can be found in Day Two and Day Three.
    Unlike Bobble, who wanted the Packers to draft Lamar Jackson to play WR, I would like to see DeJean play corner in the Green and Mustard Yellow. I dig NFL oddities. DeJean ain’t gonna fall into the Pack’s lap in round 2, but they could still trade up for the him.

As for Shipley, the Packers have been trying to mimic the 69ers as of late. Packers hired a Shanahan disciple, run the 69ers offense, and with the hiring of Haf-fucked, is trying to mimic their defense. Why not draft a poor man’s CMC?
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    I know! Scotty Campbell, that old rogue. Glad to see him back.

You know who this pick reminds me of? The Bryan Bulaga pick back in 2010. Nobody was excited about that pick - just a ho-hum, solid guy. Granted, the Cowboys picked Dez Bryant right after that, but at the time the Pack had a stable of wide receivers.

The pick should not surprise us. There were offensive linemen flying off the board by then, and this guy hits those Green Bay traits. Athletic, big but not freaky, good work at the Senior Bowl, and most importantly, versatile. Consider:

Zach Tom
    Tom Zach

Could go either way.

Jordan Morgan
    Morgan Jordan

Uh-huh. See?

Like most of you, the pick doesn't excite me. However, I have to remind myself that a year ago I was fuming that the Packers passed on Brian Branch to trade back for some extra shitty later picks, and then picked some "meh" guy from Michigan State - that Jayden Reed guy. I was so pissed.

So - shows you what I know.

In Guter we trust, cuz we have no other choice.

So here's to hoping the guy ends up being one of those guys whose name you never hear called because he always does the job.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack