Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Official NFL Draft Day 2 (Rounds 2 & 3) Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jklowan View Post
    not a fan of round 3
    Best part was all this Packerrats commentary I just read after getting home from Detroit. Man, you were going to get high down there whether you wanted to or not - the air was as thick as that car scene from the classic Cheech and Chong movie from way back when.

I think for me things seemed to go in the pooper right when the Iggles jumped ahead of the Packers to take Cooper Dijon. But then again, I absolutely hated the Packers' draft last year. So clearly I don't know shit.

That third round linebacker from Mizzou - Dennis Hopper? - sounds like a big reach. Are we going back to busted third-round picks, or does Guter know more than the draftniks and other GM's who had him going in the sixth? I dunno.

Now with still having a billion low-round picks Guter can move up to get guys he wants, or just make all kinds of picks and see if he can shake another Aaron Jones or David Bakhtiari out of the rest of the draft.

I think the draft did not go Green Bay's way - did Gutey get beaten to the punch on Dijon? Did h e panic with the Dennis Hopper pick? - but for all I know, Guter is getting head from a hot hooker in a hotel room right now, telling her that he just killed it today.

And Red, there ARE white people who live in Detroit. Forty-three of them.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Blog Entries
    Hopper really did seem to be a reach but Gute loves athletes. Who knows. Payton Wilson drafted right after him by Pitt so should be interesting to see which one, if either excels.

Kinda like the RB in round 3 though. Although I'd still love for GB to draft Guerendo with those insane measurables.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I'm moderately ok with day 2. We got the positions I wanted for the most part and did not take what I didn't want, another O Lineman.

I wish we had taken Braelon Allen in the 3rd, but I'm glad we did at least get an RB - who sounds a lot like Aaron jones except maybe faster. I woulda taken a flyer on Payton Wilson, but Hopper seems to have some potential too.

And Edgerrin Cooper sounds like the real deal. I wish I'd named him instead of Chop Robinson.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I think the draft did not go Green Bay's way - did Gutey get beaten to the punch on Dijon? Did h e panic with the Dennis Hopper pick? - but for all I know, Guter is getting head from a hot hooker in a hotel room right now, telling her that he just killed it today. .
    Per his presser, Gute got his guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaire View Post
    It's rare for any GM to NOT say that. I'd be interested in trying to read his body language, listen tothe tone of his voice.

Wouldn't you love to know? Did he really, really - as he claimed - have a trade-back in the works before the Iggles took DeJean? Or is that just a load of poo, and when the Iggles jumped ahead, Guter knew they were going to take the Mustard Man, so he just started calling to trade back cuz he knew his guy was going to be gone?

And why did he reach for that Mizzou linebacker? Did they fall in love with him while watching tape of that Rakestraw corner from Mizzou?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaire View Post
    Sherman said exactly that after he traded up in the third round for a punter named BJ Sander. There’s a reason Sherman ain’t ever missed the playoffs as GM.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Because he traded up into the third for a punter who sucked?

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Because he traded up into the third for a punter who sucked?
    Anyone who ain’t ever missed the playoffs knows what the fuck he’s doing, I reckon.

It's not a reach pick just because an Internet draft board says so.

They didn't like DeJean.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    Sherman said exactly that after he traded up in the third round for a punter named BJ Sander. There’s a reason Sherman ain’t ever missed the playoffs as GM.
    SPEAKING OF MIKE SHERMAN, the TRAINWRECK AS A GM

Wide told a story about the trade of when GB traded, I think Matt Flynn to move up about 6-7 spots in round 1.

Ron Wolf created and handed out a bunch of press on Dan Morgan to the media as he was convinced that is who GB would end up with.

But there was a disagreement

And since Sherman was taking over, he trumped Wolf and drafted....yup...JAMAL REYNOLDS

interesting to hear all of that
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    It's not a reach pick just because an Internet draft board says so.

They didn't like DeJean.
    Well, Sharpe, I decided to take fifteen minutes out of my life to watch Guter's presser after last night's picks, and I have come around to your point of view.

Maybe not so much they didn't like him, but that they didn't like him nearly as much as a lot of other not-Packer-scouts did. in watching the presser, Guter says a couple of times, in a couple of ways, that the board fell really well for them, and that the guys he was tempted to go up to get ended up being available to them. He mentioned that he was tempted to move up but his own scouting department pushed back against that and urged him to be patient, and it worked out really well. I know these guys can't give us the whole truth of what went down, but after watching the presser, I am now more inclined to think the Packers basically got who they wanted, and they didn't want Dejean nearly as much as many of us did.

Other things of note: he said, a few times, that he wants his linebackers to be able to run and hit. He mentioned that speed is more important than ever, and he also mentioned - and I quote - "it's a 4-2-5 league," and then he followed that by talking, more than once, about two items: special teams and versatility. I would think Bitchsaccia still has great influence in the room, because Guter mentioned special teams work for Bullard, Hopper, and Cooper as important. So Hopper may be more of a depth guy and special teams guy, until he proves otherwise.

The versatility piece seems more important to the Packers than to other teams. They really don't want to get caught short trying to make personnel changes - get guys on and off the field to match up against the offense. They really really want guys to be interchangeable, so that no matter what the offense is calling, the Packers won't get caught in a mismatch. Plus, when guys get hurt, you won't have to play someone who is far less talented but happens to play the specialized role the injured player has.

Speed, according to Guter, is more important than ever before. So he wanted speed, and apparently he thinks he's got speed.

Someone asked about Marshawn ____'s fumbling (I keep thinking "Marshawn Lynch" but I know it's not), and Guter said it's very correctable. He also said something interesting - that they've studied whether hand size correlates with fumbling, and he said it does not. That should comfort smaller-handed men around the world.

Guter really seemed relaxed and confident - he said that the board fell really, really well for them. They got their guys. If he is to be believed, he wanted to move up because he got antsy that "his guys" would be gone, but his scouts pushed back against that and counseled patience, and he did get his guys. I know, it could be bullshit, but it didn't appear rote or shifty. But maybe Guter's a good liar. He did, after all, say he really really wanted Aaron Jones back...but ont he whole, I'd say he appeared to have gotten the guys he wanted.

I was encouraged that he mentioned, toward the end, that he wanted to move around today, either to move up - or to add picks next year. I like that. Look to the future. Have extra picks going into next year, while a team like the Vikes has a massive hole - already - in their 2025 draft. Guter also mentioned that he repeatedly has said he wants more competition in the room, that it's good for guys' development, so if he uses all eight today he'll be "golden" with that, too.

I'm feeling better for realizing, once again, that my opinions are half-formed and half-assed, and I don't know shit, so I might as well trust Guter for now and see how it shakes out.

So - to come full circle - yeah, I think you're right: we, the fans, and the "experts" loved DeJean more than Guter ever did. And maybe Hopper was a "reach" for the experts, but not for the Packers' scouting department. "They need to be able to run and hit," he kept saying about the linebackers.

KYPack

Really nice summary Fritz. Good reminder that Kiper, PFF and Magazines aren't NFL GM's for a reason. Not to mention that GM's that go all in (see Dikta for all time here) in a few players miss out on plenty of later round gems. So many darts to throw today - I like it.
    60% of the time it works every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaulding View Post
    Really nice summary Fritz. Good reminder that Kiper, PFF and Magazines aren't NFL GM's for a reason. Not to mention that GM's that go all in (see Dikta for all time here) in a few players miss out on plenty of later round gems. So many darts to throw today - I like it.
    That's not the summary, that's the full report. My earlier post is the TLDR summary.

And didn't the Raiders hire a so-called draft expert - Maycock? Mayock - to be their GM? So that's been tried. I don't think that one worked out. He wasn't a dumpster fire, but his record was about .500.

And yes, Sharpe, that was a long post I had there. Let's call it a more detailed summary. As well as my eating-some-humble-pie post.

KYPack

Where the Packers drafted guys compared to the consensus big board at https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/

25. Jordan Morgan (36)
    45. Edgerrin Cooper (45)
    58. Javon Bullard (59)
    88. Marshawn Lloyd (88)
    91. Ty'Ron Hopper (173)

Obviously the discrepancy that stands out is Hopper. I do know Gute said they timed him in the 40 faster than his recorded 40 time. Gute also likes his hitting ability. But I'll admit that's the one that threw me a bit. Seems like a role player.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Great summary, Fritz.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    SPEAKING OF MIKE SHERMAN, the TRAINWRECK AS A GM

Wide told a story about the trade of when GB traded, I think Matt Flynn to move up about 6-7 spots in round 1.

Ron Wolf created and handed out a bunch of press on Dan Morgan to the media as he was convinced that is who GB would end up with.

But there was a disagreement

And since Sherman was taking over, he trumped Wolf and drafted....yup...JAMAL REYNOLDS

interesting to hear all of that
    I assume you meant Hasselbeck. But wait a minute. Wilde is saying that Wolf was telling the press who he thought the Packers would be drafting before the pick was made? That seems hard to believe. There has always been speculation though about whether that was Wolf's last draft or Sherman's first draft.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I assume you meant Hasselbeck. But wait a minute. Wilde is saying that Wolf was telling the press who he thought the Packers would be drafting before the pick was made? That seems hard to believe. There has always been speculation though about whether that was Wolf's last draft or Sherman's first draft.
    I assumed it was material prepared to share after the pick. Still odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Wolf’s ego was bigger than Bobble’s - and Bobble’s as big as his net worth. No fucking way Wolf would ever yield to anyone. Either Wolf put out misinformation on Morgan or he, ever the egomaniac, was trying to dissolve himself of the Reynolds fuck up in the aftermath.

Seems like the 3rd round curse could strike again with Hopper. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
    GB supposedly had him in the 4.5's for the 40yd and it sounds like he's willing to take on blocks and a good locker room guy. Morgan and Hopper were team captains, so they should be hard workers. Sounds like his COD is not good and his pass coverage isn't great either...lot of room for improvement. He has ST value, taking a pick in the 3rd for ST feels rich to me. He was a Day 3 guy they took early IMO. (Cedric Grey was there.) Seems like a lot of LBs started going so they took him while he was available.

I did like Marshawn Lloyd though. 5'9" 220 with speed and cutting ability that shows up on tape. Not a lot of wear on him from college.
    He has to correct the fumbling and improve his pass pro. Thought there were character issues on him or something but I guess maybe not.

Could depth piece and could easily slide in as a RB2 by midseason.

Gute's going to say he likes his guys and the board fell how he wanted it. The way R3 went, I'm not sure I buy him. R2 fell pretty good for him, although there's a ton of speculation that GB traded down after PHI took Dejean at 40.

Day 3 is where he makes his hay. He has a lot of picks, let's see if he can cook.