Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Official NFL Draft Day 2 (Rounds 2 & 3) Thread

Official NFL Draft Day 2 (Rounds 2 & 3) Thread

Best available going into Round 2.

19. Cooper DeJean, CB, Iowa
    For better or worse, DeJean has achieved outlier status due to his burly 6-1, 203-pound build more fitting of a safety. Leveraging his seldom-seen size, speed and ball skills by keeping him at outside cornerback still seems like the right move, though teams might look for other ways to tap into his explosiveness that's more linear than fluid.

20. Adonai Mitchell, WR, Texas
    Texas Longhorns wide receivers Adonai Mitchell (5) and Xavier Worthy (1) celebrate a touchdown by Mitchell during the Big 12 Championship game against the Oklahoma State Cowboys at AT&T stadium on Saturday, Dec. 2, 2023 in Arlington.
    At 6-2 and 205 pounds with 4.34-second speed in the 40-yard dash, Mitchell might come across as a pure straight-line, downfield threat. The Georgia transfer's calling card, however, is the fluidity he shows off when easily shaking defenders on his breaks. If he becomes more physical at the catch point, he could become an imposing No. 1 receiver.

27. Ladd McConkey, WR, Georgia
    Dismiss him as a mere slot receiver at your own peril. McConkey masterfully sets up defensive backs to break himself free of coverage at every level, and he has enough juice as a deep threat to force defenses to stay honest. Expect him to take on a significant role as a trustworthy weapon who can keep an offense rolling with his work on intermediate routes.

29. Johnny Newton, DT, Illinois
    The reigning Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year stands at a modest 6-2 and 304 pounds, but his track record of disruption speaks for itself. Though Newton relies on a slippery, persistent approach to beat blockers that might not be as consistently effective in the pros, his craftiness should unlock different ways for him to snake into the backfield.

30. Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    Steady and savvy, McKinstry is one of this class' most reliable defensive prospects. While he's not as dynamic as other cornerbacks, his well-rounded physical tools and outstanding recognition give him a high floor as someone who can be trusted to handle a variety of coverage assignments.

32. Payton Wilson, LB, North Carolina State
    It's impossible to discuss Wilson's draft fate without acknowledging an extensive injury history that includes twice tearing the same ACL and surgery on both shoulders. But when healthy, the 6-4, 233-pounder can be a force in space, as the Bednarik Award winner demonstrated last season.

34. Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    Rocketing onto the scene in his lone season as a starter, Powers-Johnson won the Rimington Award and was a unanimous All-American. Though he could also play guard, his punishing play screams solid starter at center.

35. Troy Franklin, WR, Oregon
    Any team looking to open up its offense might gravitate toward Franklin, who will make his living picking up yardage in chunks on deep shots. The 6-2, 176-pounder can mix in some quick hits for run-after-catch opportunities, but he likely will be more of a complementary piece in a passing attack rather than a focal point.

37. Malachi Corley, WR, Western Kentucky
    The Deebo Samuel comparisons are simultaneous understandable yet unfair for the "YAC King," one of college football's premier threats with the ball in his hands. Expanding his repertoire to become a more reliable downfield target – particularly on contested catches – will be a vital factor in determining whether he grows into a complete receiver or is limited to a gadget role.

38. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    A four-time state wrestling champion in high school, Frazier's background is evident on every snap. He's bound to drive defenders when he locks onto them, though lengthier linemen could give him some problems given his short arms.

39. Edgerrin Cooper, LB, Texas A&M
    Few defenders in this class can match Cooper when it comes to chasing down the ball. To become a consistent force at the second level, however, the 6-2, 230-pounder needs to hone his instincts and not let his aggressiveness take him out of plays so frequently.

40. Keon Coleman, WR, Florida State
    Concerns about his ability to separate have dogged Coleman throughout the pre-draft process. The Michigan State transfer, however, still makes his mark as a dependable jump-ball winner who can box out smaller defensive backs and be a major red-zone asset.

41. Ja'Tavion Sanders, TE, Texas
    The 6-4, 245-pounder looks bound to follow many other college tight ends in essentially becoming a supersized receiver who is most often split wide and asked to do little as a blocker. That role should still leave him plenty of opportunities to make his mark, however, as Sanders can create mismatches all over the field in the passing game.

42. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    Limited looks in Michigan's offense didn't obscure his big-play ability, which keyed his 16.4 yards per catch and 12 touchdowns on 48 catches. The 5-11, 185-pound target should continue to tax defenses with his acceleration and a toughness typically not seen from receivers of his build.

43. Jermaine Burton, WR, Alabama
    Even though he led the Crimson Tide in receiving yards the last two seasons, the Georgia transfer's production never seemed to measure up to his potential. That shouldn't dissuade teams from taking a look long at a target with an impressive blend of quickness, toughness and polish.

44. Kamari Lassiter, CB, Georgia
    Hypercompetitive yet calm, Lassiter is the kind of determined coverage presence who can find his way in any scheme. Though his ball skills and overall athleticism aren't optimal, he can be a steadying addition to a secondary.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

LOL several of the guys on this list are going R3 or later. I would be stunned if Dejean lasts to 41 though.

Watch Gute take one of the centers.

This is a really deep draft where GB has a lot of picks. I'm hoping for Jenkins and Kneeland in round two.

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    Watch Gute take one of the centers.
    I was thinking the same thing. Unless he wants to wait and take Zak Zinter a bit later.

Everybody in Packer Nation seems to be nearly foaming at the mouth for DeJean. Even if Guter gave up his other second, a third, and his mother to get him, Packer fans would be thrilled. Conversely, they'll be pissed pissed pissed if Guter doesn't trade up to get him. Or worse yet, if somehow DeJean is there when the Packers pick at #41 and they - take someone else.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I think and hope it is a LB at 41, but could see them taking a CB if Kool aide or Cooper is there

Quote Originally Posted by jklowan View Post
    I think and hope it is a LB at 41, but could see them taking a CB if Kool aide or Cooper is there
    I just looked up the first-round trades, and both the Loins and Vikes have gutted the middle of their drafts. Loins have no third or fourth round picks, and the Vikes have no fourth or fifth, and in fact I think have only like three picks total. On top of that, they gave up next year's third and fourth, too. Does the management up there reallty think they're only three or four players away? That seems crazy, like they've gotten impatient. If that extends to not letting McCarthy sit and learn for at least a year, then Ras is in for some rough fan times up there.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

As things stand right now, Packers have 4 picks today (41, 58, 88, 91). Bears 1 (75). Lions 1 (61). Vikings 0
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    I wouldn't thumb my nose at Jackson Powers Johnson or Zach Frazier. Packers whether they know it or not still have some holes to plug on the defensive side of the ball.

no need for this thread. most rats will have thrown themselves off bridges by the time the draft starts tonight because we took a guy at #25 that their favorite draft site told them would be available at #27

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Unless he wants to wait and take Zak Zinter a bit later.

Everybody in Packer Nation seems to be nearly foaming at the mouth for DeJean. Even if Guter gave up his other second, a third, and his mother to get him, Packer fans would be thrilled. Conversely, they'll be pissed pissed pissed if Guter doesn't trade up to get him. Or worse yet, if somehow DeJean is there when the Packers pick at #41 and they - take someone else.
    If they were that desperate to replace their lost free agents why didn't they just sign on of them instead of letting them walk (Hunter and Cousins).

Quote Originally Posted by jklowan View Post
    Either of those works for me. We have a few starting spots up for grabs.

If Guter is going to go up to get someone, history (Christian Watson) tells us he'll be on it fast and hard.

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    I wouldn't thumb my nose at Jackson Powers Johnson or Zach Frazier. Packers whether they know it or not still have some holes to plug on the defensive side of the ball.
    Same. They both sound like absolute monsters.

Honestly, if they pick one of those guys I'd be fine with it. Especially the guy with three names, because I'd like to see how they get all that on the back of his jersey.

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Honestly, if they pick one of those guys I'd be fine with it. Especially the guy with three names, because I'd like to see how they get all that on the back of his jersey.
    lol

I love that, as Fritz pointed out, Minny and Detroit have gutted their middle round picks. I'm also not convinced that McCarthy is the answer at QB for Minny.

Detroit, I get, their window is now. But Minny? LOL.

I expect Gutes to make hay with these next four picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    As things stand right now, Packers have 4 picks today (41, 58, 88, 91). Bears 1 (75). Lions 1 (61). Vikings 0
    I was thinking the same. Not the draft where you give up those picks.

I get the Lions, since they are probably thinking they have a short window with Goff and got to the NFCCG. Bears and Vikings make less sense. Bears gave up draft capital for Montez Sweat, and Keenan Allen so that's not bad, but in 2-3 years when Caleb Williams might be something one or both players will be gone. Rome Odunze is a good player.
    Vikings have an aging defense, and no QB... so the picks they made make sense but at the expense of future picks smells like desperation. They gave up a lot for Hockenson, who is a top 10 but possibly not a top 5 TE. Seems like Vikings fans were in "extend Kwesi" mode last night but when they realize how much development Turner and McCarthy need they may be singing a different tune.

Their fans probably laughing at Gute for picking a T-Rex armed tackle who will probably move inside to guard. Way too early to say much, nobody has played a snap yet.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Best Available Specific to the Packers for the 2nd Round

Cooper DeJean DB Iowa - Not sure if he is a fit at corner for the Packers or a move to Safety or the nickel would be in his future if the Packers would draft him. Solid all around football player that showed out at his pro day. Not sure the hesitation on him as he slipped out of the first round

Kool-Aid McKinstry CB Alabama - There might be an issue with a foot, and possible surgery or something, I don't know. You could draft him to play the outside and move Alexander inside to cover the slot, but you really have a lot of question marks opposite Alexander. Hell Alexander is a question mark.

Jer'zan Newton DT Illini - Not sure how he fell out of the first round. I had Big Ten coaches telling me he was disruptor #1 in the Big Ten. Probably because his build isn't clean and he played at Illinois

Edgerrin Cooper LB Texas A&M - I liked his film the more I watched it. The reality is most teams only play with two LB's on the field and don't buy into talk about the 4-3 base, you will see it about 23% of the time in Green Bay. You need to really athletic linebackers that can run and cover. Walker is athletic and better out of space. Seems clueless in coverage, loves defending green grass.

Javon Bullard S Georgia - Another Bulldog that just does what is expected and plays football the right way. Size is a bit of a concern for him as he plays super physical but under 200 pounds he is gonna have to protect himself in the NFL. Packers need a safety.

Ennis Rakestraw CB Missou - Is not an ideal fit for Gute as his RAS score is in the low 6's. He is an exceptional football player on the field though, and is a high IQ player with physicality.

Kris Jenkins DL Michigan/Braylon Fiske DL FSU/Michael Hall DL OSU - Not sure why the Packers go to the second round for a defensive tackle as they have a decent rotation at the moment. It would be for the future in 2025 or 2026. all three of these guys are pretty similar depending on what draft boards you look at. Fiske is probably the more explosive of the three while Jenkins is the strongest. Hall could be the best combination of strength and athleticism.

Marshawn Kneeland DE Western Michigan - Lack of competition makes me nervous, but the Packers like their large athletic freaks for their defensive end positions. He fits the bill but they don't need it for the 2024 season

Max Melton CB Maryland - Just a solid player at corner, doesn't overwhelm in anything but has the RAS score that is lacking with several other 2nd round Corners. Again not sure the Packers can go into another season trusting Stokes is going to be healthy.

Jayden Hicks S Washington St - Big safety that will fit that hybrid S/LB role when the Packers go with a light box.

Peyton Wilson LB NCST - Has the testing numbers, just didn't love the physicality on film. Smooth player that could fill the coverage holes that are missing from the linebacking core.

Brandon Dorlus DL Oregon - Could bump to the inside on passing downs, and play the 5 tech on run downs, I think he offers a bit more flexibility than the other three defensive linemen above.

Kam Kinchens S Miami - It's too bad the guy didn't test well because his playmaking ability is off the charts, has great instincts and can fill that center field and box safety roles that would keep him on the field for every down. I was really impressed with his film.

Cooper Beebe IOL Kansas St - True guard in the NFL, typical hard working mauler with high trait athleticism from Kansas St. It's guys like this that are available that makes me sort of shake my head at the Morgan pick

Junior Colson LB Michigan - Frustrated because I wasn't blown away by the one film I could watch on him. Michigan's defense usually relies on aggressive down hill linebackers and that was not the impression I received. Might not have been his best film.

Jackson Powers Johnson C Oregon - Best center in the draft, but doesn't offer much in the way of position flexibility and that Packers hate that in their OL prospects

Zach Frazier C/G West Virginia - has more position flexibility than JPJ but lacks the size/athleticism combo

Mike Sainsistril CB Michigan - Lack of overall size would probably position him as more of slot cover guy and nickel player than an every down player for the Packers

Trey Benson RB FSU - I really like his patients and his ability to get to top speed within the first 15 yards. He can catch and run, and sees the angles in the open field. Not sure the Packers need a RB in the second round but Gute is gonna Gute.

Christian Haynes G Uconn - Love his athleticism. This is one of the better drafts for interior OL. Sort of wish the Packers addressed other needs in the first round.

Bralen Trice DE Washington - Didn't test great but another solid edge player. The NFL can't get enough of these guys so I wouldn't be surprised to see the Packers go after him

T'Vondre Sweat DL Texas - He is fat and but he is a bitch to dig out on the LOS. He is only a run down player, because he wears down. In a rotation he could give you a little bit of a rush. If the Packers are committed to stopping the run he would be a cat you would look at drafting. Reach in the 2nd but possible steal in the 3rd (if he is good he is good regardless of Round)

Lots of available receivers - Not sure why the Packers would spend this high of draft capitol on a receiver at this point, but Gute is gonna Gute
    Ja'Lynn Polk WR Washington
    Adonai Mitchell WR Texas
    Roman Wilson WR Michigan
    Malachi Corely WR Western Kentucky
    Keon Coleman WR FSU
    Jalen McMillian WR Washington