Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2024 NFCN Oppo Draft Picks Discussion Thread

2024 NFCN Oppo Draft Picks Discussion Thread

I thought it might be a good idea to have clearinghouse to discuss our main oppos' drafts.

CHI got their guy, or so they hope, and a hot weapon, but only have two more picks; 3,4.

Detroit only has five picks left after trading up for Arnold: 2,5,6,6,7.

Minny also only has five picks but no picks today: 4,6,6,7,7.

Let's hear your thoughts on their draft picks.

Lotta picks for five players.

This draft will likely be remembered as the draft where the Bears and Vikings either did, or didn't draft a QB who can compete with Jordan Love. There's an awful lot riding on that.

I've always felt the real value in this draft was on Day 2. As things stand right now, The Packers will have more picks on Day 2 than their 3 division rivals put together.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    As I scrolled thru the round 1 picks the thought “damn the North went off”. Then the Pack finished it in a bland WI type of way. That’s a good thing like Martha says.

If we play odds then at least one of the two QBs will not work out. Probably the one that paints his nails. Lions may have gotten their DB but he has a hard life waiting against Love and crew. Could break him. They all made the big splashes so better chance of getting water in their face.

Was not happy the Leos hopped in front of us for Arnold, but according to Gute's comments, they didn't feel he was worth a trade up.

If that's correct, the Lions overpaid. The proof is in the pudding, so we will have to watch to discover the truth of it.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Was not happy the Leos hopped in front of us for Arnold, but according to Gute's comments, they didn't feel he was worth a trade up.

If that's correct, the Lions overpaid. The proof is in the pudding, so we will have to watch to discover the truth of it.
    Definitely agree that Guter obviously did not think Arnold was worth trading up for, or he'd have done it. Once Arnold got past Seattle at 16, he was there for whomever wanted to go up to grab him. I think he's going to be good, but to get him means the Leos now have no third or fourth round pick. And with the Vikes and Bears also lacking in mid-round picks, that's not many eggs in a fairly small basket for all three NFC North opponents.

So while Chicago and Minny got QB's, I think it's as much about whether they can develop them properly (that is, not just throw them out there to start as rookies) as it is about whether Williams and McCarthy are good enough. And for the Loins, Brad Holmes must feel they are close, cuz he's trading away draft capital for what he wants right now.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Chicago got the better QB prospect, but when was the last time the Bears drafted and developed a QB that was worth a damn. Also, he will be stunted in his development after the Bears fire this coaching staff after the season. They really should have started with a fresh staff this year. Vikings should have grabbed a good QB prospect 2 years ago to learn under Cousins. Throwing a guy into the mix who has questionable deep ball skills might be bad for his development, but JJ might be there to bail him out.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    I thought it might be a good idea to have clearinghouse to discuss our main oppos' drafts.

CHI got their guy, or so they hope, and a hot weapon, but only have two more picks; 3,4.

Detroit only has five picks left after trading up for Arnold: 2,5,6,6,7.

Minny also only has five picks but no picks today: 4,6,6,7,7.

Let's hear your thoughts on their draft picks.
    OK, don't know from shinola about the draft or NFL prosective talent.
    But I did learn to read others as part of a (pride goes before the fall) successful career.

I'm down here in the flatland and have been listening to local sports radio including live, on-the air interviews. IMHO the effin' Bears have drafted a couple of true winners.

Folks, we are going to have our hands full for the foreseeable future.

Also, BTW - (again, I don't know shit about this stuff) Michael Penix Jr. is the real deal.

Lions double-dipped at corner, taking that Ennis Something-straw guy. Not an elite athlete but a guy who is physical and competes. They're saying he's a Detroit kind of guy - this is the new model for them.

Now they don't have a pick for a while. Not sure of quality, but the Leos have two corners while the Packers have a tackle, two linebackers, a safety, and a running back in the first three rounds.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Lions got two good corners. They are clearly scared AF of Love and the Packers WRs.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    Lions got two good corners. They are clearly scared AF of Love and the Packers WRs.
    My thought as well.

Thank God George started this thread so I did not have to hijack an actual draft thread!

After years in the wilds of the internet, actually paying for content in some places, this place still discusses the Packers better than any other fan site. Loved reading through the draft threads just now. This year I watched the first round on cheesehead.tv (free version) and it was painful. People who are Patreon subscribers are not good at content or commenting live. Makes sense if you like to watch people drink on a cam so you aren't drinking alone I guess.

Hope all of you are doing well. Are there really 18,000 reading the Packer board or are those bots?

I did not research the draft much this year and so was not in love with Cooper DeJean, therefore Bullard is OK by me. The OT was a head scratcher especially with a ACL issue previously. If he is Zach Tom redux no one will complain though I do think you can take versatility a little too far. The LBs seem speed focused (especially the second one) and I worry we have started to draft ST players a little early. Needs drafts always make we worry because when I agree with the picks, bad things normally happen (see Derrick Sherrod). Wish they would have traded back in the first, but Gute seemed to think that would not work. And he hopefully know more than the mocks.

The guy I am immediately intrigued by is Lloyd. If he can make people miss and take 3 or 4 yard gains 8 or ten yards, that is what LeFleur's offense can really use. I think by now we all know how special Aaron Jones was. He wasn't a mortal lock for superstardom and the HOF only because he was about 3% too small and easily injured. By far my favorite player of this era. Was genuinely sad to see him go, didn't even feel that way about Woodson who I grew to admire a lot. You don't average 5 yards a carry by being anything other than fantastic. If Lloyd can fill that need as a field flipping RB, the offense should be as good as the end of last year.

But the real reason I felt compelled to post today is that no one will appreciate this Vikings draft more than PackerRats. Like you, I am ever so grateful that the Minnesota Vikings/Zygi's Follies found themselves exactly two players away from a Super Bowl after last year! Two players! That's all they need and the only picks they needed (and the only ones they own). Lesser minds think about things such as uncertainty. Not these Vikings. You see 7-10 and think in addition to a QB they need a lot of parts on defense and the O line. Pfftb. Mule fritters. Its loser's thinking to consider the holes on your roster. That was just bad luck. And regression to the mean will fix all that.

They boldly launch the vessel into the sea despite having done no testing and not asking the builder if it was finished. No they didn't take any repair materials, why do you ask?

They should re-build the trophy case in anticipation right away. Well done boys, you never ever disappoint.

In your honor, here are the links to the research your analytically minded HC and GM completely ignored because the Vikings know better. Who needs more swings at the ball? Who needs more darts to throw at the board? Not the Vikings, certainly not these Vikings! Bless their hearts, the purple goobers. I hope that horn catches fire during a loss.

https://www.nber.org/system/files/wo...270/w11270.pdf

https://eml.berkeley.edu/~webfac/mal...p06/Thaler.pdf

Secretly I am hoping Cooper DeJean is Chad Jackson to Javon Bullard's Greg Jennings.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Welcome back. It's good to see you.

Epic comment.

The Vikings are about to enter a period of self loathing in the NFC basement. The Bears are actually becoming competent at player management and might become good soon if their coach isn’t a complete dunce. Jury is still out on that.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Oppo's Picks as of end of Day Two:

CHI: Round 1 - Williams (QB), Odunze (WR), Round 3 - Kiran Amangadjie (OT, Yale)

DET: R1- Arnold (CB), R2 - Rakestraw (CB, Missouri)

MINN: R1- McCarthy (QB), Turner (Edge)

Pretty fucking thin.

Quality might be there, quantity (depth) sure isn't.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Thank God George started this thread so I did not have to hijack an actual draft thread!

After years in the wilds of the internet, actually paying for content in some places, this place still discusses the Packers better than any other fan site. Loved reading through the draft threads just now. This year I watched the first round on cheesehead.tv (free version) and it was painful. People who are Patreon subscribers are not good at content or commenting live. Makes sense if you like to watch people drink on a cam so you aren't drinking alone I guess.
    Welcome home PB. You have been missed. Hope you will stick around to see what the PR familia has been up to. Probably the same arguments just different players to complain about.

Welcome back PB!!!! It was a big loss when you left! A lot of us missed you for sure! I can only speak for myself, but I always liked the analytical angle you brought.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

PB! So glad to see you back. And you picked up right where you left off - hitting on all cylinders.

By the by, the Lions also just traded next year's third to move into the fourth this year and draft a gigantic player (offensive line) from another country or continent. He might end up being good, but I like to see our division opponents trading away future resources. It makes me happy.

KYPack

The way this draft is ending, draft class seems a bit weaker than usual. The 85 superbowl champions and our never won a superbowl rivals done went P/K and trans Atlantic when they had very few picks.

Only the Bears would draft a QB with the first pick of the draft and draft a punter in the 4th round.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen