Thread: 2024 2nd Round Pick #45 Overall Edgerrin Cooper

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Well, if you watch Guter's presser, you'd surely think so. He did say the trade back was in the works "a couple of picks" before the Iggles traded up, so it did not seem - if he is to be believed - that trading back was a fallback position once the Iggles moved up. He said he wanted to move up to get his guys, but he was glad his scouts pushed back on him there, because by being patient he did get his guys, without having to give up anything.

I am coming around to Sharpe and Mad's idea that we all loved DeJean a lot more than Guter ever did.

I listed to what Gute said too; but GM's will make contingent deals. We'll never know. He could have said if player X was not there, we will do the deal.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    I listed to what Gute said too; but GM's will make contingent deals. We'll never know. He could have said if player X was not there, we will do the deal.
    You could be right. But the way Guter put it was that he was afraid he wasn't going to get his guys, so he wanted to move up, but his scouts pushed back and counseled patience because the board was falling so well, and they got their guys. If they really, really wanted DeJean, it sounds like they really could've gone up and gotten him. After all, the Iggles only had to move one spot ahead of Green Bay, so conceivably the Packers would've known the Iggles were interested, so when the team jsut before Green Bay was on the clock, Guter could've traded up one spot to be sure he got his guy. But he didn't.

Here's what the iggles gave up: "the Eagles, as Roseman described it, “made a concerted effort” to get DeJean. They gave up the No. 50, 53 and 161 picks to a division foe for the DeJean pick and the No. 78 and 152 picks." That's to move up ten spots. So basically they gave up their two second rounders and a later pick to get Dejean and a third rounder and a later pick. Moved up in the second, gave up a second, but acquired a third.

What would it have cost the Packers to move up one spot? Clearly less than that, and Guter could've afforded to do so, but he did not.

W
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack