Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2024 2nd Round Pick #45 Overall Edgerrin Cooper

2024 2nd Round Pick #45 Overall Edgerrin Cooper

Overview
    Highly physical linebacker with elite top-end speed and a burning desire to get to the football that can lead to some inconsistencies in his play. Cooper is average at diagnosing the run but takes off around traffic on a mission to find the ball-carrier once he sees it. He can be undisciplined playing his run fits and takes unorthodox paths downhill, but he somehow finds ways to slither around blocks and make challenging tackles. Cooper is a punishing hitter/tackler from any spot on the field, but he’s going to overshoot the mark from time to time due to his lack of control in pursuit. He’s a capable quarterback spy, can blitz the pocket and will be an instant hit on special teams, but teams will need to balance the inconsistencies with the passionate run-and-hit mentality.

Strengths
    Plays each snap with unbridled passion and intensity.
    Much more responsive and decisive in 2023 than he was in 2022.
    Possesses elite long speed to walk down his tackle targets.
    Skilled block dodger with ability to play around traffic without slowing much.
    Terrific job of sniffing out screens and spying athletic quarterbacks.
    Good blitzer with adequate cover skills as zone dropper.
    Brings the thunder as a forceful striker.

Weaknesses
    Occasionally loses track of the football while searching the mesh point.
    Could struggle with consistency of diagnosis needed inside.
    Needs to drop pad level during block take-ons.
    Undisciplined with scrape technique and plugging his run fits.
    Lack of knee bend leads to inconsistencies as an open-field tackler.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Thanks for doing this Joe. LB video is way more entertaining than OL video. It looks like he doesn't need a clean shot at people to bring ball carriers down.

Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Edgerrin Cooper, there’s my favourite pick this year.

This is our next NFL Hall of famer.
    We love this guy!
    Last edited by Vincenzo; 04-27-2024 at 12:39 AM.

'unbridled passion and intensity'.

Yaaaaas.

I'm on board with this.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    'unbridled passion and intensity'.

Yaaaaas.
    That's what they said about Sophia Loren, too.

I don't know what to think. By the vast majority of accounts, the best off ball linebacker in a draft very weak in that position. It does sound like Guter expects him to be able to play all three linebacker spots.

Versatility is a key component of what the Packers look for - on both sides of the ball. Maybe Kenny Clark will pull a BJ Raji and start dropping into coverage,
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Blog Entries
    this guy had Packer written all over him.

I honestly wonder if GB would have taken him over Cooper DeJean
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Well, if you watch Guter's presser, you'd surely think so. He did say the trade back was in the works "a couple of picks" before the Iggles traded up, so it did not seem - if he is to be believed - that trading back was a fallback position once the Iggles moved up. He said he wanted to move up to get his guys, but he was glad his scouts pushed back on him there, because by being patient he did get his guys, without having to give up anything.

I am coming around to Sharpe and Mad's idea that we all loved DeJean a lot more than Guter ever did.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

34 inch arms on a 6’2” guy is crazy. Combine that with speed to get sideline to sideline, and he could become a monster if he puts it together between the ears.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Well, if you watch Guter's presser, you'd surely think so. He did say the trade back was in the works "a couple of picks" before the Iggles traded up, so it did not seem - if he is to be believed - that trading back was a fallback position once the Iggles moved up. He said he wanted to move up to get his guys, but he was glad his scouts pushed back on him there, because by being patient he did get his guys, without having to give up anything.

I am coming around to Sharpe and Mad's idea that we all loved DeJean a lot more than Guter ever did.

I listed to what Gute said too; but GM's will make contingent deals. We'll never know. He could have said if player X was not there, we will do the deal.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    Honestly though, I'd take Cooper, the Geogia S, and the two extra picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    I listed to what Gute said too; but GM's will make contingent deals. We'll never know. He could have said if player X was not there, we will do the deal.
    You could be right. But the way Guter put it was that he was afraid he wasn't going to get his guys, so he wanted to move up, but his scouts pushed back and counseled patience because the board was falling so well, and they got their guys. If they really, really wanted DeJean, it sounds like they really could've gone up and gotten him. After all, the Iggles only had to move one spot ahead of Green Bay, so conceivably the Packers would've known the Iggles were interested, so when the team jsut before Green Bay was on the clock, Guter could've traded up one spot to be sure he got his guy. But he didn't.

Here's what the iggles gave up: "the Eagles, as Roseman described it, “made a concerted effort” to get DeJean. They gave up the No. 50, 53 and 161 picks to a division foe for the DeJean pick and the No. 78 and 152 picks." That's to move up ten spots. So basically they gave up their two second rounders and a later pick to get Dejean and a third rounder and a later pick. Moved up in the second, gave up a second, but acquired a third.

What would it have cost the Packers to move up one spot? Clearly less than that, and Guter could've afforded to do so, but he did not.

W

KYPack

Man, the Eagles gave up a lot.

They must've thought Gute was going to pick him.

From McGinn:

2. EDGERRIN COOPER, Texas A&M (6-2, 230, 4.55, 2): Two-year starter at weak-side LB. “I think he’s a top-15 player,” said one scout. “It’s just the (low) value of the position. He does everything. Nasty and explosive. He covers, blitzes. He’ll take on. He can chase and he’s fast. Really fun to watch. He plays like he can (run the defense). His instincts are outstanding. He’s taller and longer than Roquan (Smith). He’s like Devin Lloyd in that they played him all over the place.” Posted eight of his 8 ½ career sacks in 2023. “He’s the best (linebacker) by far because he can rush the passer, too,” a second scout said. “He played 7-technique sometimes. Has upfield dip. As an inside backer he timed his blitzes. You see him downfield (covering) backs on wheels.” Finished with 204 tackles (30 ½ for loss), three forced fumbles, two picks and 10 passes defensed. “He can’t wear the green dot,” said a third scout. “Not a bad kid at all. He’s just a country kid that came from a poor, poor family upbringing, and he doesn’t know that he doesn’t know.” Late in the season, his girlfriend was killed in an accident as she was riding an ATV. “If people aren’t worried about things he’ll go high because he jumps off the tape,” said a third scout. “Just seems to be involved in every play. He’s a little skinny-legged guy. Plays a little light. I didn’t feel great about the legginess – having to change directions in space. Mid-round guy.” Arms were 34, the longest among the top 15 at the position. “The hangup is, is he able to handle it mentally?” said a fourth scout. “I think he’ll be just like (Devin) White. He’s going to be unorthodox. He’s not going to always play it like the coach wants. But with these quarterbacks these days and when they get out of the pocket, man, you need a guy that can shadow those guys and go get ‘em when the time comes. He can do that as good as anybody. He’s probably got the best close to the football of anybody, even Dallas Turner. His deal isn’t going to be taking on blockers. This guy is a low-wrap tackler where he is going to get you on the ground. He can fly sideline to sideline and scrape as good as anybody in the draft.” Weighed 218 when the Aggies began the season. Was 230 at the combine, 229 at pro day. “He may be close (to a bust) because he’s a mental midget,” said a fifth scout. “But he can do some things where you’re, ‘Wow.’” From Covington, La.

The death of the girlfriend thrown in is one of the most macabre things I’ve seen in a scouting report. Is that supposed to mean he’s damaged goods? I’m not sure why that even is included. Tragic as hell, but not really relatable to football.

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    The death of the girlfriend thrown in is one of the most macabre things I’ve seen in a scouting report. Is that supposed to mean he’s damaged goods? I’m not sure why that even is included. Tragic as hell, but not really relatable to football.
    100%. So fucking bizarre, if not cruel.

@Marcus_Mosher
    The
    @PFF
    stable metrics for Texas A&M LB Edgerrin Cooper are INSANE:

98th percentile run stop %
    97th percentile run defense grade
    96th percentile coverage grade
    95th percentile forced inc. %
    95th percentile box cov. grade

I absolutely love this pick. He’s my favorite of the class by far at this point. He played big boy football in the SEC and was putting up plays all over the place. With his background, he’s going to be a great fit in Green Bay because he’s not a big city kid. He is going to live and breathe football and if him and Quay put it together, we will have our best tandem at LB in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post

That just means he was taking calls, as he does with every single pick. We got a great athlete who lacks great instinct. One false step, or .3 seconds delay in diagnosing a play and he runs a 5.5, but hits people really hard as he is trying to catch up. Oren Burks did that as well. Remember all the articles. He's learning to make his reads. We are teaching him to watch the guards feet. He never quite caught on. I hope I'm wrong. I do think he will be "adequate", but with a top 50 pick I want more than adequate.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.