Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
I wasn't enamored with this pick, but a lot of people seem to like this pick. I'll take a wait and see on this guy.
I think it may be a matter of context. I like the pick a lot, considering what other players there were at that draft slot and that specific position, because we needed help at safety and very few players in this draft class could have helped us more than he probably will. But there've been a lot of years I'd have felt cheated if he was the best safety we could have come away with, period.

So.... I'm really happy that in a year where we badly needed safety, we got one of the best safeties available. But I can't deny that I wish this were a year where we had some better safeties from whom to choose.

I think Gute saw this coming months ago, and that's why we pounced Xavier McKinney the minute he got out of bed that first morning. I think he knew we had critical needs at safety, but we were going to have very few options in the draft. So in anticipation of that, he made sure we were as strong at the position as we could possibly be - so that no matter how badly we might fall short in the draft, we wouldn't be totally vulnerable at that position for the entire season and post-season. We'd have one of the best safeties in the NFL to start with, and then we'd do the best we could to build a corps around him. And I'd bet he knew it would take more than the 2024 draft.