Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2024 3rd Round Pick #88 Overall Marshawn Lloyd

2024 3rd Round Pick #88 Overall Marshawn Lloyd

Overview
    Lloyd's flashes on tape could lead a team to envision a more expansive role for him in its offense, but based on his play, he feels more like a good complementary option with big-play potential. Frankly, some of his South Carolina tape from 2022 felt more exciting than his 2023 USC film, despite the higher yardage-per-carry mark in 2023. While he ran with improved patience and set up blockers more diligently in '23, he ran with a greater sense of urgency the year prior and proved he could create explosive plays without as much help from his offensive line. Lloyd runs with slightly below-average vision but has the juice to play the role of "chunk-play slasher" and dangerous open-field pass catcher. Lloyd is a low-mileage prospect, and the scope of his role will obviously depend on scheme fit.

Strengths
    Displayed improved tempo and ability to set up blocks in 2023.
    Marries NFL-caliber burst with adequate contact pop to fall forward.
    Twitchy feet and wide base, allowing access to sudden lateral cuts.
    Uses burst and free hand to swat away angle tackles around the corner.
    Possesses natural timing in making upfield cuts on wide-flowing runs.
    Speed and shake to torment open-field tacklers as a pass-catching option.

Weaknesses
    Will miss opportunities for splashy runs due to average vision.
    Running style was less instinctive and urgent at USC than it was at South Carolina.
    Ball security could be a considerable concern for him in the league.
    Tore his ACL in 2020 and missed time in 2022 and 2023.
    Lacks sand in his pants to protect his quarterback in blitz pickup.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Pretty interesting pass catcher.

40 year Packer fan here, picking RB at this point is beyond me.
    No clue what our GM was thinking.

This guy reminded me a bit of Josh Jacobs. I'm on board.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

I looked at the RAS. This guy is really similar to Jacobs athletically. He's 1 1/2" shorter and has more straight line, but otherwise the measurables are very similar.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

A fumbler with supposedly average vision.

I dunno. I have a friend who would've preferred Jaylen Wright. I also thought Guter would maybe just wait and draft two or three guys later and see if one of them was a diamond in the rough, thus using this third-round pick on another offensive lineman or another safety or something.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post

I dunno. I have a friend who would've preferred Jaylen Wright. I also thought Guter would maybe just wait and draft two or three guys later and see if one of them was a diamond in the rough, thus using this third-round pick on another offensive lineman or another safety or something.
    Well now you say something. If you had told Gute that you have a friend who prefers Jaylen Wright, that could have changed everything. Daniel Jeremiah said he thinks Packers got the best RB in the draft.

Oh for sure, Joe. I watched Guter's presser, and it reminded me that this guy knows all these players thoroughly, whereas my information is gleaned from people who are amateurs and don't do it for a living.

I was just feeling pessimistic when I was posting this morning, but then I took the time to watch Guter's presser, and realized - once again - that I don't know shit, so there's no reason to get worked up. Doesn't mean that Lloyd will necessarily be great, but it does mean the Packers made an informed decision, as opposed to saying "Hey, let's have Fritzy's buddy pick a running back for us!"
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I think this pick was far more about the kid being similar to Jacobs. The Packers like to substitute their backs extensively. The vast difference between Jones and Dillon created difficulty in managing a game plan. If Jones busts off a big run to the five yard line, and needs a breather, we can plug this kid in and keep running the same scheme. He can’t block for shit, but few backs can coming from college. He is very quick for his size. That is always something to like in a back.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Said a lot of people about Ahman Green. He turned out alright.

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    Said a lot of people about Ahman Green. He turned out alright.
    The fumbler part I remember. I don't remember the part about average vision.

Good point above about how the backs now are more interchangeable. It did seem to mess LeFleur up, having to adjust the calls so much because Jones and Dillon were so different.

KYPack

I don’t get the average vision thing on this kid. You can’t put up the numbers he did while running into your lineman’s ass continuously. He has the same issues Dillon had coming out of college, where there was little development of the player as an all around back in college. Doesn’t mean he can’t do it, as Dillon has proven.

I also like that this kid created 0.4 missed tackles on average each carry last year. This kid is not easy to bring down. That is the kind of runner we need, not someone like Dillon who keeps tripping over the paint on the field.

I don't care about RAS or any of that with RBs. He stutters like he thinks he's Barry Sanders, he reverses field like he thinks he's Marcus Allen. That stuff just doesn't work in the NFL unless you ARE those guys. I want a plant your foot and turn it upfield guy. Again, sand in my vagina, but I hate this pick.

edit: I have my NFL comp. His reel reminds me of Alex Green (I think was his name. that guy sucked, but had a great reel out of Hawaii).
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Green was a lot bigger as I remember... very different back

Quote Originally Posted by Jaire View Post
    Green was a lot bigger as I remember... very different back
    I just remember reels of him running untouched without making a cut. Thats a lot of what I just saw here. He looks like a nice receiver out of the backfield though and maybe his was drafted to be our 3rd down/change of pace guy. Again, in this draft I simply would not have taken a RB until round 5.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

I like the pick as an RB2. I think he's fine as a pass catcher. Not sure about his pass pro, and the fumbling is a concern. Yes, Ahman Green had fumbling problems, rumor was that it was always early in the year when his rubber sleeves got sweaty. I actually think Ben Sirmans has done ok with coaching RBs and will do his best with Lloyd's fumbling.

Low usage, good athlete. I think his feet and vision are fine if you coach him to be one cut and go. Seems to have pretty rapid fire feet when he wants, his acceleration and long speed are also good. I think the 4.47 speed is real with him.
    He's a legit 5' 9" 220. Aaron Jones played at maybe 200 pounds, some think he was even 190.

R3 is about as early as I'd like to draft a RB unless they're a true bonafide star like Johnathon Taylor or Bijon. They needed to get better at RB and this is a good start. Dillon and Wilson aren't the long term answer, this guy could be part of that answer.

Saw a lot of forced missed tackles and (some) broken takles from Lloyd. Too many to think he's Alex Green.