Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: 2024 3rd Round Pick #91 Overall Ty'Ron Hopper

Cooper has a rare ability to sift through blocks where guys can’t get their hands on him even though they’re in great position. Leads to a lot of missed tackles because he ends up off balance in spots he had no business making it to in the first place. He also racks up huge amounts of big plays doing that and slows down the runner to allow others to finish.

Cooper has a high percentage and I’m ok with that. He’s an elite athlete and there is a logical reason for his mistakes.

Hopper. Nah. He’s a dead average athlete in NFL terms. He’s not an all world football guy. He is an all world culture guy though. Even if he doesn’t actually play well himself, even being a decent backup who brings out the best in the guys around him by bringing the ideal mindset to the extremely top heavy room he’s in… he still might be worth the pick.

But chisel it in stone. He’s not a good linebacker.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Basically, the question was, is it more likely you can teach Dennis Hopper to tackle or Luke Wilson not to get hurt?
    I would be absolutely thrilled if we could teach ANYONE not to get hurt.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    Cooper has a rare ability to sift through blocks where guys can’t get their hands on him even though they’re in great position. Leads to a lot of missed tackles because he ends up off balance in spots he had no business making it to in the first place. He also racks up huge amounts of big plays doing that and slows down the runner to allow others to finish.

Cooper has a high percentage and I’m ok with that. He’s an elite athlete and there is a logical reason for his mistakes.

Hopper. Nah. He’s a dead average athlete in NFL terms. He’s not an all world football guy. He is an all world culture guy though. Even if he doesn’t actually play well himself, even being a decent backup who brings out the best in the guys around him by bringing the ideal mindset to the extremely top heavy room he’s in… he still might be worth the pick.

I'm really confused by this assessment. Hopper's strength was getting pressure behind the line of scrimmage. He wasn't excellent in creating pressure and getting sideline to sideline.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post

Dude, I’m not even going to carve it in soap.

An “average” NFL athlete? Not from all I’ve read. Junior Colton, maybe, is an average NFL athlete.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    I'm really confused by this assessment. Hopper's strength was getting pressure behind the line of scrimmage. He wasn't excellent in creating pressure and getting sideline to sideline.
    I meant that he was excellent at those things.

Junior Colson, I meant. Unless he IS a great athlete. Then I meant Junior Colton.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Hopper has a 7.38 RAS acore at LB, meaning he ranks just under the 74th percentile athletically among linebackers historically. That's an above average overall athlete at the position, and well beyond the vast majority of people in general.

He's a little small size-wise, but that's how LBs are these days.
    He has good enough speed and get get to the sideline just fine. His biggest issue is tackling.
    Hopper fits what Hafley is going to want his LBs to do -- all of the defensive picks this year were aggressive, downhill attaching types who have good character and love football. I think Hafley is going to ask them to shoot a gap and not do a lot of thinking or reacting.

I'm NOT on the Hopper bandwagon, I think there were other LBs (or players at other positions) they could have gone for that i would have liked, but Gute isn't trying to please me specifically with his picks.
    Either way he's a Packer and he's got a shot, so I'm rooting for him. This could be the return of the 3rd round curse.