Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: 2024 3rd Round Pick #91 Overall Ty'Ron Hopper

He flys all over the field resulting in making plays and missing tackles. He's bizarro AJ Hawk.

That might be a good thing.

Gary Cooper and Dennis Hopper - our new linebacking generation.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    That might be a good thing.

Gary Cooper and Dennis Hopper - our new linebacking generation.
    I was going to say Cecil Cooper and Ty'Ron Hipster, but I like your nicknames better.

The missed tackles rate likely explains things like his PFF rating. He's enough of an athlete with a 7.4 RAS to cover plenty of ground; I'm not worried about that. It's whether he can fix his tackling issues.
    I assume it's a fundamentals thing and not a physical limitation, and you'd expect Florida and Missouri had coaches teach players this.

Basically he fixes his tackling, or he doesn't see the field much on defense. A 22% missed rate is unplayable.

What about Coopers 13%...is that okay?
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

I suspect his successful tackle rate would immediately go up if he sat back and reacted. They seemed to want him to disrupt rather than error free safe football.

I suspect they Packers will expect the same and live with missed tackles.

It did cross my mind that really fast players can get themselves in more awkward situations because of their speed and miss tackles. Let’s not go assume Gute knows it all on defense. He’s strung together a few stinkers of drafts and now some great ones. But he doesn’t always know what he’s doing either.

It’s a red flag. Coopers is a little less of a red flag for me because he’s all world fast and I’m sure a bunch of those misses wouldn’t have even counted as attempts for most guys.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

He might be a bust, and I don't think he'll ever be a good tackler. He might also have enough speed and aggressiveness to make you for that weakness.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    I suspect his successful tackle rate would immediately go up if he sat back and reacted. They seemed to want him to disrupt rather than error free safe football.

I suspect they Packers will expect the same and live with missed tackles.
    I don't think they can live with 22.7%. The worst in the NFL last year was about 20%. I have no doubt they talked about it a lot during the draft prep, and think they can fix it. Otherwise you just would not take him that high.

If you miss 20% or so of your tackles, you're getting the runner on the ground 80% or so of the time. That to me ain't too bad. And factor in that somebody is faster and maybe gets in position to make a tackle 20% or so more often than a slower guy, and those missed tackles don't seem so bad.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    If you miss 20% or so of your tackles, you're getting the runner on the ground 80% or so of the time. That to me ain't too bad. And factor in that somebody is faster and maybe gets in position to make a tackle 20% or so more often than a slower guy, and those missed tackles don't seem so bad.
    For a linebacker, that's horrible. Quay Walker and Campbell were both below 5%. The only Packer over 20% was Anthony Johnson Jr. and he only played when they were desperate due to injuries. Usually defensive linemen have the highest missed tackle pct. because they tend to be less agile than the guys they're trying to tackle. LB's should be able to tackle consistently.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen