Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell View Post
In my opinion the justification for that trade was a little weak. They thought they'd lose Rasul, and he was getting older. Well if they lost him after his contract expired, there would have been a compensatory pick. I'm not sure if Bufallo's 3rd rounder was that much better than a compensatory pick.

The timing looks pretty bad in retrospect - it looked like Brian was throwing in the towel on the season.

I think who they chose with the trade pick is irrelevant, and shouldn't be compared to Rasul. Two separate transactions.

I think Brian is really, really good at his job. But even the greats are lucky to bat .500 in this business.
At the time. Douglas was under contract through 2024, for $11.6 million in 2024. I think the Packers were planning to release him this off season for the cap savings, in which case they would have gotten nothing in return. If that was their plan, the trade made a lot of sense. The question is, should that have been their plan?

GB had just lost 4 in a row, and the season seemed like it was going nowhere. I will always wonder if they would have made that trade if they had known how the rest of the season would turn out. I suspect they would not have.