Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Official NFL Draft Day 3 (Rounds 4-7) NFL Draft

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    ... reminiscent of a Ted draft.

I wonder if or when he'll take a corner

Definitely. Ted was pretty good about staying true to minimum athletic thresholds. But Gute came in and it seemed like the minimum went from good to elite. And then you ended up with a bunch of athletic morons with a few home runs.

Bigger faster stronger is important. Really important. But it can’t be the only thing. I think there needs to be a lower threshold than elite. Something more like really good and factor in football character and football intelligence a little too. But there is a point of low athleticism that no amount of football savvy will ever be able to able to overcome.

I think he’s evolving into prime ted. He took over and blew his wad in the pretty athletes and after those loads falling back on his face he’s chilled out and started to take better aim.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    Definitely. Ted was pretty good about staying true to minimum athletic thresholds. But Gute came in and it seemed like the minimum went from good to elite. And then you ended up with a bunch of athletic morons with a few home runs.

Bigger faster stronger is important. Really important. But it can’t be the only thing. I think there needs to be a lower threshold than elite. Something more like really good and factor in football character and football intelligence a little too. But there is a point of low athleticism that no amount of football savvy will ever be able to able to overcome.

I think he’s evolving into prime ted. He took over and blew his wad in the pretty athletes and after those loads falling back on his face he’s chilled out and started to take better aim.
    If those loads fell back on his face, he was shooting them quite far.

So the Packers have two more picks, I think. Wonder what they'll take - another running back, maybe?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I know nothing about Monk or Glover.
    I watched some of Oladipo before, he's a fun player. Will be good on ST and he's best as a box safety. He's almost LB sized. Pretty good athlete.

The more I read about Monk, the more I like him. Dude has played everywhere on the line, two-time captain, good guy in the community. Agree with RG that he could be the C of the future if it's not Zach Tom...but I think that also depends on what Rhyan and Morgan do.

This Glover kid is massive. I have to think he's a developmental T. 6-6 is giant for a G but Zak Zinter is that big so who knows. I'm sure the stupid next day draft grades on him will be fun.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    we give gutey a lot of love lately, but he's not god, he misses almost as many picks as other GMs do

his obsession with only drafting guys with high athletic scores is borderline al davis like

his 2021 draft was a complete shitshow

2020 draft wasn't any better besides the love pick
    How many players have to pan out to say it was worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    How many players have to pan out to say it was worth it?
    Jordan Love panned out. That'll be Gute's legacy. Everything else is gravy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell View Post
    Jordan Love panned out. That'll be Gute's legacy. Everything else is gravy.
    Maybe that’s why he is going Sinatra and doing it his way. Arrogance can lead to brilliant moments.

Blog Entries
    Fritz

Have to go with another safety or maybe QB in the 7th.

Did Brendan Rice punch a coach? Dude was talked about as a possible Day 2 pick by some (I figured early Day 3).

gute must think he's gonna pick up some cheap cb after teams cut dudes due to the draft

I do not love this draft, seems like alot of reaches, hoping I am wrong we passed on what seemed like good players and ended up with alot of ?????? hoping for the best, I like 3 players cooper, bullard and Oladapo

Quarterback! at 245 - just drafting the UDFAs now I guess, wasn't expecting a QB draft pick

Quote Originally Posted by jklowan View Post
    gute must think he's gonna pick up some cheap cb after teams cut dudes due to the draft

There's your CB. You dirty rats.

finally a cb, it's a wrap and lots of ???? picks lets hope a few pan out but it looks like a shit draft to me, hope I'm wrong but I smell 2020 bad

Quote Originally Posted by jklowan View Post
    finally a cb, it's a wrap and lots of ???? picks lets hope a few pan out but it looks like a shit draft to me, hope I'm wrong but I smell 2020 bad
    It kind of does have an odd feel. The OL is really safe. Fritz compared it to Bulaga level safe and I agree. Just seems like a near lock to be a good pick.

Cooper looks like a high floor high ceiling guy. He’s an elite athlete and plays tough as nails. Worst case is he brings physicality. Best case is kind of sky’s the limit.

The safety from Georgia looks like a decently well rounded prospect. A good chance at being a good starter or better.

After that there is a lot of Richard Rodgers, Amari Rodgers, Josiah Deguara sort of feel. The sort of common denominator is that they’re rough, physical guys. That really is an important trait. But we’ll see. It feels like there were a lot of limitations after those first three picks. But the bust rate after the 3rd round is high so I imagine there are at least a few questions about every player at that point.

A lot of you have a generally bad attitude about the draft. I notice that none of you are being considered for a GM or scout position in the NFL.

Last year we had Tucker Kraft, Wicks, Colby Wooden and Valentine with high ras scores in the 3rd round or later. This year, do we even have one?

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    Last year we had Tucker Kraft, Wicks, Colby Wooden and Valentine with high ras scores in the 3rd round or later. This year, do we even have one?
    Last year was supposed to be one of the deepest drafts in recent memory. This year is one of the least talented drafts.

Lucky we had a lot of early picks this year

Quote Originally Posted by beveaux1 View Post
    Last year was supposed to be one of the deepest drafts in recent memory. This year is one of the least talented drafts.

I see. I just read up on it. Yeah, NIL is causing guys to stay in school. Eventually they’ll have to move on though. So that should only last for so long. We’ll just start seeing more seniors in a year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by beveaux1 View Post

This is actually a little exciting for our chances of taking a big step. Back to back elite drafts is already a nice feather in the cap to go along with getting the QB. But having 5 picks in the only part of the draft that’s worth a shit this year could mean that if Gute did well, we get better while most teams couldn’t load up this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    A lot of you have a generally bad attitude about the draft. I notice that none of you are being considered for a GM or scout position in the NFL.
    I mentioned in another thread I was disappointed in Mark Tauscher's lack of knowledge about the Packers' draft. Maybe he's busy covering other stuff, I dunno.

But last night I listened to Mike Wahle on his "Block Party" podcast as he broke down some of the Packers' draft class. I learned a lot and was quite impressed with Wahle's seeming ability to break down the players' strengths and weaknesses. He didn't cover all the picks, but of those he did discuss, this is a kind of general summary of the players he liked, from most to least:

Jacob Monk - his favorite in the draft. Wahle said a few years ago he kept seeing tape on this one offensive lineman and he couldn't figure out why scouts didn't have him rated much higher, and couldn't figure out why he lasted until the fourth round. That was Zach Tom. Wahle has a similar feeling about Monk. He thinks, if Monk fixes some footwork and hand placement issues, he's going to be the starting center for this team in two or three years. Says he's got crazy-good bend, good hips, and his problems are all fixable.

Javon Bullard - Wahle loves this guy and thinks he can do it all. He thinks this guy CAN play deep as well as box. The only reservation he has is the size - he's concerned about whether Bullard can hold up at his size. But he loves this guy and thinks he's going to start sooner rather than later, and will develop into a really good player.

Marshawn Lloyd - Wahle liked this pick quite a bit. He thinks this guy is a change-of-pace back in a thick frame. He thinks Lloyd's fumble problems are an issue but a fixable one, and that this guy will be pushing AJ Dillon this summer for the spot. Loves his shiftiness and ability to break tackles, thinks he can develop as a receiver. Wahle likes the Lloyd pick.

Jordan Morgan - Wahle said nothing stands out on tape as far as one, specific physical ability, but that the guy does everything pretty well. He mentioned the guy, like Monk, has good bend and good hips, but that his footwork and ESPECIALLY his hand placement both need help. Lots of help. He thinks the guy will play and start in the NFL, but he actually thinks Monk may see the field before Morgan does. He thinks IF Morgan's going to play this season, it would have to be at guard. Wahle also laughs off the "short arms" stuff. Unless a guy has stupidly, stupidly short arms, Wahle thinks that whole "short arms" thing is just something analysts who don't know shit say to make it sound like they do. He said, and I'm paraphrasing, that no NFL defender goes into a game saying "Geez, I can't wait to abuse that offensive lineman because of his short arms." So he likes Morgan, likes his bend and his hips and his ability to move, but thinks he's got a lot of work to do to become an NFL starting tackle.

Edgerrin Cooper - He points out that the guy's over-aggressiveness can really cost him, that he can mis-diagnose sometimes and was used in an odd way, at least in the film Wahle watched - the Alabama / A & M game, in which Cooper was sent on blitzes constantly, and struggled at times to get home. However, he loves, loves, loves the attack mentality, the desire to meet the opposing back behind the line of scrimmage, the violence of the tackling. He thinks the flaws can be corrected, and if they are, this guy will be really good. HOWEVER, Wahle is really, really leery of 230 lb linebackers. He just doesn't think they can hold up. That's the biggest drawback he sees for Cooper - the weight.

Ty'Ron Hopper - like many of us, this pick was a head-scratcher for Wahle. He loves the guy's hitting ability and his down-hill approach, but says he's super raw. The biggest issue he has - just like he has with Cooper - is the weight. He thinks linebackers at 230 are just too light to take on blocks effectively.

Those were all the players I remember Wahle commenting upon. All in all, he was super, super jacked about Jacob Monk, and really really liked Bullard as well. Second tier, but guys he still really likes, are Lloyd, Cooper, and maybe Morgan. Dennis Hopper - a mystery pick.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack