Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Official NFL Draft Day 3 (Rounds 4-7) NFL Draft

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I heard quite a few draft “experts” say before the draft that day 3 was projected to have the fewest prospects of any draft in recent memory. Their theory was to trade up for 1st and 2nd round picks or use late picks to move up for early 3rd round picks. With almost no good RB, LB, S, and TE prospects, this draft was top heavy with OT, CB, and WRs. Aside from OTs, those didn’t fit our needs.

We apparently got one of the best LB, S, and RBs in this draft class. We filled out the end of the draft with special teamers and practice squad guys. I think that’s pretty good for a draft light on talent.

Up to us to coach them up.

Quote Originally Posted by beveaux1 View Post
    I heard quite a few draft “experts” say before the draft that day 3 was projected to have the fewest prospects of any draft in recent memory. Their theory was to trade up for 1st and 2nd round picks or use late picks to move up for early 3rd round picks. With almost no good RB, LB, S, and TE prospects, this draft was top heavy with OT, CB, and WRs. Aside from OTs, those didn’t fit our needs.

We apparently got one of the best LB, S, and RBs in this draft class. We filled out the end of the draft with special teamers and practice squad guys. I think that’s pretty good for a draft light on talent.

Up to us to coach them up.
    Go back to the Rasul Douglas trade. Gute was willing to throw in a 5th round pick to get the 3rd round pick. That suggested to me that Gute sensed the value wouldn't be very good by the time you got to the 5th round.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Go back to the Rasul Douglas trade. Gute was willing to throw in a 5th round pick to get the 3rd round pick. That suggested to me that Gute sensed the value wouldn't be very good by the time you got to the 5th round.
    I wouldn't have made that trade. Rasul was a really good player, and we probably didn't replace him even with all these picks this year.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell View Post
    I wouldn't have made that trade. Rasul was a really good player, and we probably didn't replace him even with all these picks this year.
    Would he have been the difference in the niners loss?

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    Would he (Rasul) have been the difference in the niners loss?
    Hard to say, but I doubt it. Though they played them pretty close, so who knows.

I think they lost that game because Brock Purdy caught fire in the 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    Would he have been the difference in the niners loss?
    If he were playing safety as I begged for in the spring, he very well might have. Savage blew 2 tackles that lead to long TDs. One on CM3 and another on Kittles.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Lots of good buzz on most of these picks.

Obviously I don't know shit about fuck, and we won't truly know for three years, but I like this draft.

Lloyd 8+ ras
    Hopper 7+ ras
    Evan Williams 8+
    Monk 9+
    Oladapo 8+
    Glover 4+
    Kalen King 6+

Kind of different than gutes usual profile of 9+ guys. But he mostly avoided pedestrian athletes. 7.5 is kind of that magic threshold where it seems like guys don’t succeed often under that score.

The toughest and physicality is exciting. The football character was fairly consistent all the way through. The athletic level was about average for NFL players so they’re not completely overmatched physically. The Ras scores are a little higher than I perceived a moment ago. They’re just good enough, but not the usual 9+ Gute used to consistently draft
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

230 is pretty light to take on blocks, that's why a lot of LBs don't anymore... or don't do it well. You see a lot more of them trying to run around the block or beat the blocker to the gap.
    Sending a 230 pound man to take on a 330 pound man in a full sprint is not going to end well for the smaller guy, at least not after a few snaps of it. It's how the game is now, with speedier backers who need to cover ground.

Hopper seems more eager to take on a block than Cooper, but Cooper likes to shoot gaps and is so fast. They will both be aggressive and can run. I think Hopper is easily LB4, but ILs get hurt a lot so he'll play. I hope Hopper plays as well as Dennis Hopper acted. He was a hoot in Blue Velvet.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Hopper seems more eager to take on a block than Cooper, but Cooper likes to shoot gaps and is so fast. They will both be aggressive and can run. I think Hopper is easily LB4, but ILs get hurt a lot so he'll play. I hope Hopper plays as well as Dennis Hopper acted. He was a hoot in Blue Velvet.
    Doesn't help he uses his body to take on blocks instead of his arms.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Doesn't help he uses his body to take on blocks instead of his arms.
    That's understandable. Dennis was never the strongest actor out there.

It's gonna be interesting to see how things will work with Halfley switching to 4-3. Cooper was listed supposedly as an Edge Rusher - an OLB in the 4-3.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Isiah McDuffie patrolling the middle, most likely?

By the way, Mike Wahle was also very, very excited about the interchangeability of the safeties, as he thinks Bullard can play deep and close. He was pumped up at the possibility that the defensive pieces in general are interchangeable enough so that you don't have to try to constantly keep up with the offensive personnel/formation changes in terms of your own personnel. He really, really likes that idea.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Isiah McDuffie patrolling the middle, most likely?

By the way, Mike Wahle was also very, very excited about the interchangeability of the safeties, as he thinks Bullard can play deep and close. He was pumped up at the possibility that the defensive pieces in general are interchangeable enough so that you don't have to try to constantly keep up with the offensive personnel/formation changes in terms of your own personnel. He really, really likes that idea.
    Yeah, basically it will help disguise what the defense is going to do. and help them react to motion etc. without giving as much away or being out of position.
    In GB's case, they'll be in 4-2-5 with two Will LBs, which leaves them a little light vs. the run but having one of those safeties up should help.

I think McDuffie will be the Mike to start, when they go with a base 4-3 (15-20% of the snaps). Maybe Hopper or Quay is eventually that guy.

You can not like 230lbs lb's taking on lineman blocks as much as you can not like 250lb lb's trying to cover rb's out of the backfield.

Pick and choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkey View Post
    You can not like 230lbs lb's taking on lineman blocks as much as you can not like 250lb lb's trying to cover rb's out of the backfield.

Pick and choose.
    Which is why I was shocked they didn't get any of the quality DL available although a slew of them went where we picked said 230lb LB.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

DB Evan Williams: No. 33
    Aaron Jones’ old number didn’t stay vacant for long. Williams wore No. 32 at Fresno State and No. 33 at Oregon.

OL Jacob Monk: No. 62
    The last two players to wear No. 62? Lucas Patrick and Evan Dietrich-Smith. Monk is likely to play center in Green Bay.

S Kitan Oladapo: No. 27
    Patrick Taylor, who is now in San Francisco, wore No. 27 from 2020 to 2023. Eddie Lacy and Terrell Buckley are the most well-known former players to wear the number. Others include 2017 second-round pick Josh Jones, 2006 fourth-round pick Will Blackmon and Anthony Smith, a Super Bowl winner in 2010. Oladapo wore No. 28, but A.J. Dillon retained the number.

OL Travis Glover: No. 79
    His collegiate No. 52 is currently in use (Rashan Gary). The last player to wear No. 79 in a game for the Packers was Dennis Kelly.

QB Michael Pratt: No. 17
    A little surprising, knowing kicker Anders Carlson already wears No. 17. Obviously, Davante Adams is the best player in team history to wear the number. Former quarterback David Whitehurst also wore No. 17. So did Hall of Famer Ceil Isbell.

CB Kalen King: No. 34
    King wore No. 4 at Penn State, but the Packers have No. 4 retired for Brett Favre. No. 24 isn’t available (Tyler Coyle), so King will start at No. 34, last worn by Jonathan Owens last season.

We can't know everything that went into the decision to trade Rasul. Maybe he was so sick of Barry that Gute was afraid he was becoming a malcontent. Certainly Campbell did. At any rate I still don't think the pass defense got noticeably worse after the trade as Valentine and Ballentine played pretty well.

On defense, having a capable safety play instead of Savage probably wins the game. He missed a tackle on the McCaffrey TD run and was the closest defender on the Kittle TD. Also dropped a pick-6.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    On defense, having a capable safety play instead of Savage probably wins the game. He missed a tackle on the McCaffrey TD run and was the closest defender on the Kittle TD. Also dropped a pick-6.
    I think I saw somewhere that Anthony Johnson Jr. was supposed to drop back and help Savage with Kittle. Either way, it wasn't a CB that cost them that game, unless you think Nixon did.. and Rasul wasn't any better in the slot. Having better safeties would have made a difference.