View Poll Results: Who was your favorite pick in 2024?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jordan Morgan

5 16.13%
  • Edgerrin Cooper

13 41.94%
  • Javon Bullard

5 16.13%
  • Marshawn Lloyd

2 6.45%
  • Ty’ron Hopper

1 3.23%
  • Evan Williams

0 0%
  • Jacob Monk

1 3.23%
  • Kitan Oladapo

1 3.23%
  • Travis Glover

1 3.23%
  • Michael Pratt

1 3.23%
  • Kalen King

1 3.23%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Who was your favorite pick in 2024?

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    I think Morgan is a bit of a project. I don’t see much of a chance of him starting at tackle in game 1. While you can see his athleticism on film, there also are a lot of poor tendencies that need to be coached up. Perhaps he starts at guard early, but I’m even doubtful of that. I think the Packers are fine letting him develop and mostly providing depth in year one. I can get behind Wahle’s opinion that Monk is probably more likely to get a start first because he will be playing the position of our weakest (and soon to be departed) interior lineman. Morgan may turn out to be better in time, but his learning curve will be steeper at tackle.
    I don't think you give him enough credit. Every college player has things they can improve on. Morgan reaches too early against speed rushers and he got away with it in college. Teaching him the right technique and having him take 100 snaps against Gary probably fixes it in one camp. He could start at tackle on day one and not ruin a season, however there is no urgency to do that which is why I think he starts at RG. Its because we have 2 excellent tackles already and there is not need to rush it. Its not because he has the mountainous learning curve. Mims has a much higher learning curve and he went 18? I think it was.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I don't think you give him enough credit. Every college player has things they can improve on. Morgan reaches too early against speed rushers and he got away with it in college. Teaching him the right technique and having him take 100 snaps against Gary probably fixes it in one camp. He could start at tackle on day one and not ruin a season, however there is no urgency to do that which is why I think he starts at RG. Its because we have 2 excellent tackles already and there is not need to rush it. Its not because he has the mountainous learning curve. Mims has a much higher learning curve and he went 18? I think it was.
    Exactly. Clifton, Tauscher and Bulaga all began their rookie seasons as backups, but were pushed into starting tackle roles only a few games in. Bakhtiari probably would have too, but for Bulaga's season-ending injury in training camp. Maybe they weren't completely ready, but they were certainly good enough to play with.

Hopefully, Morgan is of the same ilk if he is needed.

It will be hard to break into the starting lineup as a rookie absent injury, and that's a good thing.

Best case scenario is Morgan beats out Walker and Walker becomes your swing Tackle.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    It will be hard to break into the starting lineup as a rookie absent injury, and that's a good thing.
    Not sure about that on the O line. Runyan is gone and C needs to be improved. Any rookie OL that shines in camp has a pretty good shot in my mind.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Not sure about that on the O line. Runyan is gone and C needs to be improved. Any rookie OL that shines in camp has a pretty good shot in my mind.
    But Myers is an established three-year starter, and Ryan is a returning vet with significant experience. Coaches know what to expect from them and take comfort in that. Each provides a known level of performance which coaches will have to feel is improved by the insertion of a rookie into the lineup. It is a reasonably high hurdle.

For some recent perspective Zach Tom as good as he is started 5 games in his rookie season, and only played in 9 total. It looks like Elgton Jenkins didn't start until the 3rd game of his rookie season.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    But Myers is an established three-year starter, and Ryan is a returning vet with significant experience. Coaches know what to expect from them and take comfort in that. Each provides a known level of performance which coaches will have to feel is improved by the insertion of a rookie into the lineup. It is a reasonably high hurdle.
    I listened to the steno presser. He said the guys who stepped into the leadership role after Bakh left were Elg and Meyers.

They like Meyers a lot more than fans do. I can see that in their decision making and hear it in their words.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

I agree JH and in fairness he wasn't a tire fire last year. I was extremely jaded by his bad snaps in camp, but he didn't carry it into the season. He still has problems with a big man on his nose, but so do most centers.

I agree JH and in fairness he wasn't a tire fire last year. I was extremely jaded by his bad snaps in camp, but he didn't carry it into the season. He still has problems with a big man on his nose, but so do most centers.
    We’ve been kind of spoiled as fans having upper tier centers who really haven’t been injured for 30 years. Packers fans are fairly realistic by my judgement, but this is one area where you start to see some kind of ridiculous delusion.

He’s probably an average player who’s an elite lockerroom presence. A lot of fan bases would be singing his praises where we’re pissed off that he’s not a top 5 guy.

It would be like having an elite running back for 30 years and then spending whole offseasons ranting about how Edgar Bennet or Dorsey Levens were complete garbage and just never being able to enjoy a moment as a fan because they’re our running back.

Definitely not an EI whatever guy, but had to vote to bring him in.
    Whatever

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    I listened to the steno presser. He said the guys who stepped into the leadership role after Bakh left were Elg and Meyers.

They like Meyers a lot more than fans do. I can see that in their decision making and hear it in their words.

Finally some good sense in here regarding Meyers.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

We’ve been kind of spoiled as fans having upper tier centers who really haven’t been injured for 30 years. Packers fans are fairly realistic by my judgement, but this is one area where you start to see some kind of ridiculous delusion.

He’s probably an average player who’s an elite lockerroom presence. A lot of fan bases would be singing his praises where we’re pissed off that he’s not a top 5 guy.
    Have you met this chap that goes by texaspackerbacker??

I like Meyers every other play or so, because he'll look like an all pro. And then the next play he'll look like he belongs on somebody elses practice squad. Who knows - maybe he'll put it together this year.

I think that the comfort of having vets who know the assignments will beat out the raw talent of any of the rookies. I'm expecting Walker-Jenkins-Myers-Rhyan-Tom to start the season. One of the rookies - Morgan, say - might be a better blocker overall than Rhyan or Walker, but if he whiffs three assignments a game, that can wreck everything. So I'm thinking that trotting out the five guys who have worked together and know the playbook will be how they'll at least begin the season.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I think that the comfort of having vets who know the assignments will beat out the raw talent of any of the rookies. I'm expecting Walker-Jenkins-Myers-Rhyan-Tom to start the season. One of the rookies - Morgan, say - might be a better blocker overall than Rhyan or Walker, but if he whiffs three assignments a game, that can wreck everything. So I'm thinking that trotting out the five guys who have worked together and know the playbook will be how they'll at least begin the season.
    I think taking a W for drafting these 3 OL this year means depth for this year, and avoiding having to pay 2nd contract money to a marginal players in a future year because 1 or more of these guys develop into starters.

Fritz...and a lot of others. I have seen nothing to suggest that Rhyan belongs on an NFL roster to be honest. He lacks real power for a man of his build. He doesn't have very good hands. And his poor footwork has led to a ton of blown blocks. I honestly hope to god he isn't starting at RG when the season starts....I'm not even sure I want him on the roster.

Fritz...and a lot of others. I have seen nothing to suggest that Rhyan belongs on an NFL roster to be honest. He lacks real power for a man of his build. He doesn't have very good hands. And his poor footwork has led to a ton of blown blocks. I honestly hope to god he isn't starting at RG when the season starts....I'm not even sure I want him on the roster.
    I can see why you say that based upon how he played, and how most people graded him. PFF gave him a 51.7 on the season. I'm not ready to quit on the guy yet, because he improved last year. He's now coming into his 3rd season, and I think he has to keep improving to keep his spot. I think his marginal play is one of the reasons Gute felt the need to draft 3 OL this year

As for having a spot on a NFL roster? PFF graded JRJ out at 54.7 last year, which helps explain why he couldn't wrest the full time job away from Ryhan. However his grade did not prevent the Giants from paying him $10M/year. I think that speaks volumes about the poor play of OL in the NFL these days, and why a guy like Ryhan might get more time to get his shit together.