Thread: Grading the Packer's Draft

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Good write up. I was a little meh about some of the mid round picks, but skimming through and comparing to what other teams did, I think GB did fine.

Morgan was a meh pick to me but there's buzz that other teams liked in R1, so he wasn't lasting until 41 no matter what draftniks say. It sounds like they'll try him a T first -- which is another topic -- and also give him a chance at G.

I like the Cooper and Bullard picks. If you told me they took Cooper at 25 and Morgan at 41, I'd probably be fine with it. He might be more pro-ready than Quay was and will pair nicely with him in nickel D. They are going to have speed at ILB. Bullard should be the favorite to start with McKinney. Will be an vastly improved safety group compared to last year's.

Some didn't like the Lloyd pick in R3, I think that's an ok time to start looking at RBs and if there's a good one and you need one, take him. Dillon is no guarantee to make the roster, RBs get hurt all the time, and you need a younger guy to develop. Plus, he's thickly built, shifty as hell, and low-wear. Jaylen Wright might have been more fun here, but still a good pick IMO.

The Hopper pick was a mystery to me, but I'm still watching some of his games. He's... okay? At worst he pushes McDuffie for playing time and is on ST. He's basically LB4 right now and that's fine.

The Day 3 picks are all ok to me, the OL was really picked over by then and they didn't need much at WR, TE, or CB. I need to watch Williams but he's competition for Bullard. I've heard his ceiling is Morgan Burnett-ish, which is fine. I liked what I saw of Jacob Monk -- I watched him play FSU, NC and Clemson and he held his own against those teams. He's far from a finished prospect or a perfect player -- there are definitely warts to his game that coaching can fix -- but he's got versatility and will at least push Myers/Rhyan for snaps. Oladapo is a fun player. Glover is developmental guy and more of a people mover than a zone OL which is really interesting but maybe he can do something for you if you go 6 OL on the goal line.

Pratt was considered a better prospect than Sean Clifford and was expected to go earlier than he did. In a weaker QB class (like... next year's) he'd go much earlier. Doesn't turn the ball over, team leader, will benefit from Tom Clements' coaching. I really like taking a flier on Kalen King -- he might be nothing, or he might be Carrington Valentine. I wonder if he could play safety if CB doesn't work out. King certainly sounds motivated to make it.

When I went thru each round and looked at who was drafted up to 10 picks after GB, there usually wasn't much better available... so I'm good with the draft. They got a few needs addressed and I think they got better. Excited to see if/how it comes together.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Good write up. I was a little meh about some of the mid round picks, but skimming through and comparing to what other teams did, I think GB did fine.

Morgan was a meh pick to me but there's buzz that other teams liked in R1, so he wasn't lasting until 41 no matter what draftniks say. It sounds like they'll try him a T first -- which is another topic -- and also give him a chance at G.

I like the Cooper and Bullard picks. If you told me they took Cooper at 25 and Morgan at 41, I'd probably be fine with it. He might be more pro-ready than Quay was and will pair nicely with him in nickel D. They are going to have speed at ILB. Bullard should be the favorite to start with McKinney. Will be an vastly improved safety group compared to last year's.

Some didn't like the Lloyd pick in R3, I think that's an ok time to start looking at RBs and if there's a good one and you need one, take him. Dillon is no guarantee to make the roster, RBs get hurt all the time, and you need a younger guy to develop. Plus, he's thickly built, shifty as hell, and low-wear. Jaylen Wright might have been more fun here, but still a good pick IMO.

The Hopper pick was a mystery to me, but I'm still watching some of his games. He's... okay? At worst he pushes McDuffie for playing time and is on ST. He's basically LB4 right now and that's fine.

The Day 3 picks are all ok to me, the OL was really picked over by then and they didn't need much at WR, TE, or CB. I need to watch Williams but he's competition for Bullard. I've heard his ceiling is Morgan Burnett-ish, which is fine. I liked what I saw of Jacob Monk -- I watched him play FSU, NC and Clemson and he held his own against those teams. He's far from a finished prospect or a perfect player -- there are definitely warts to his game that coaching can fix -- but he's got versatility and will at least push Myers/Rhyan for snaps. Oladapo is a fun player. Glover is developmental guy and more of a people mover than a zone OL which is really interesting but maybe he can do something for you if you go 6 OL on the goal line.

Pratt was considered a better prospect than Sean Clifford and was expected to go earlier than he did. In a weaker QB class (like... next year's) he'd go much earlier. Doesn't turn the ball over, team leader, will benefit from Tom Clements' coaching. I really like taking a flier on Kalen King -- he might be nothing, or he might be Carrington Valentine. I wonder if he could play safety if CB doesn't work out. King certainly sounds motivated to make it.

When I went thru each round and looked at who was drafted up to 10 picks after GB, there usually wasn't much better available... so I'm good with the draft. They got a few needs addressed and I think they got better. Excited to see if/how it comes together.
    Funny how no one can really agree on basic traits that are not exactly measureable. One draft site I read commented that Marshawn Lloyd has terrible vision. Nutz, who knows his shit (well, except maybe for Clifford-over-Love), says Lloyd had great vision. I guess the only way to really know is to talk to his eye doctor.

I appreciate the comments from those of you who actually take the time to do some research, and I appreciate that a few of you here actually know football well, having coached it on some level or really studied it. To me, this is just a hobby, so I don't do shit in terms of research. I just spout mostly mindless bullshit, so the real pleasure for me is learning from those of you here who know something about football.

As Nutz said, this was a really Ron Wolfy draft in terms of loading up at positions of need. Remember when Wolf took defensive backs with his first three picks? So if one of the three safeties can become a really good starter, and one shines on special teams, it's probably okay.

Speaking of special teams, I am half-wondering if Rich Bisaccia has some compromising pictures of Guter. A guy like Dennis Hopper in the third round - as a linebacker he seems, from what I've read, really not very promising, but as a special teamer, he has the skills to excel.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack