Thread: Grading the Packer's Draft

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    5 Rd 163 Pick A-
    Jacob Monk OL Duke 6-3 308 9.74 RAS - I think and I am probably wrong, but I do think the Packers were hoping that Hunter Nourzad from Penn St was going to drop to them. When he went off the board I think Monk was the next best option for the Packers. High position flexibility for the Packers which you don't get drafted by the Packers if you can only play center. He was the second best OL at Duke, but just as flexible as Barton in terms of playing across the offensive of line. He is probably more athletic than Barton, but he doesn't have the drive or mauling ability that you truly want in an interior lineman. I think he will need to get stronger if he is to compete for a starting job in Green Bay. He was drafted in just about the right slot for his ability, and he is one of those guys that could easily be an 8 year starter in the NFL. High character guy 2 time captain at Duke.

5 Rd 169 Pick A
    Kitan Oladapo S Oregon St 6-2 215 8.18 RAS - Packers take their third safety. Finally Gute understands what I have been saying for the past 3 years, the Packers defense is weak up the middle and you can't play good defense if you can't protect the middle of the field. 3 safeties and two linebackers drafted should tell you that I am right! Now it might be a bit overkill, but I respect it! Fix it with any means necessary, he took the Ron Wolf approach and at the end of the day you can fault him for who he drafted not what he drafted. Bullard and Williams are sort of cut out of the same cloth, sort of guys that can do it all, but Oladapo has size and he runs just as well as Bullard and Williams. He is a head hunter that likes to attack ball carriers in front of him and come down hill. The great news on Oladapo is that he might be your box safety but he can cover! he didn't allow a TD pass all last year, and with his height and size he has a better chance of matching up with TEs down field. He has been used as a free safety s strong safety and a slot corner. Another team captain and has started 39 games for the Beavers. I like his ceiling it's a great pick on value end of it, but you have used 3 picks on safety and signed Xavier McKinney.

6 Rd 202 Pick B
    Travis Glover OL Georgia St 6-6 317 4.21 RAS - Obviously he is a draft and develop guy. He has played over 4000 snaps at Georgia St and has played multiple positions on the offensive line. He is just not a great or flashy athlete, but with playing so much college football you know that he can get by on his experience. If this pick works out then great, if it doesn't and he spends two years on the Practice Squads then it's a big whatever, but Gute is still addressing needs and that is offensive line depth.

7 Rd 245 Pick A+
    Michael Pratt QB Tulane 6-2 217 8.28 RAS - Competition for a backup QB and developing guys you can then ship off for more than you invested to get him. He has some decent upside and has played really good football for the Green Wave. When you throw for more than 20 TDs and less than 10 Int's in all 4 seasons you are doing something right as a college QB. Did the Packers need to take a QB, no. They did with the idea that he has the ability to develop and at least be a career backup if not a starter for some team down the road. Damn it, the world needs more Gardner Minshews, and Pratt getting out of the pool to take his draft call from the Packers might be the start of his legend. Call it my sleeper of the draft, or call it me being delusional but this might just be one of the best picks the Packers made in this draft.

7 Rd 255 Pick A
    Kalen King CB Penn St 5-11 191 6.68 RAS - A year ago he was being mentions as a potential top 15 pick in the 2024 draft. Then Marvin Harrison Jr happened, and then he had a lack luster performance at the Senior Bowl, and his Combine was damn poor. So you get a guy that just a year ago had first round potential, and is available at 255. It just makes sense. He is absolutely worth the flyer at this point in the draft, and if he can regain his form from 2022 then you have an absolute steal in this draft.
    Last edited by Deputy Nutz; 04-29-2024 at 10:04 AM.