Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Grading the Packer's Draft

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar

Grading the Packer's Draft

1 Rd 25 Pick B+
    Jordan Morgan Arizona OL 6-5, 315 9.24 RAS - I really like the player but I didn't like where he was drafted with other options on the board. Again it comes down to who I would have drafted, not what the Packers wanted. I think they overall are getting an offensive tackle with this pick. I don't see him playing his full career at a guard spot. I think he is too athletic and I really don't care about the arm length, I care about his foot work and getting his big ass in the way of other big ass dudes.
    I don't have a lot of concern about the ACL injury. he came back to play his senior year in less than 9 months without a lot of issues. He was cleared by NFL doctors. I think he could have the ability to be a long time fixture for the Packers on the offensive line. The question right now is where and with this pick does it show some uncertainty with the guys they currently have penciled in as starters. I would suppose Rasheed Walker has to be thinking that Morgan was drafted to replace him at left tackle. Nothing Walker did in 2023 would lead me to believe his job is safe going into July camp. My last thought on Morgan though, is he a day 1 starter in Green Bay?

2 Rd 45 Pick A
    Edgerrin Cooper Texas A&M LB 6-2 230 9.13 RAS - I wasn't really high on him at the beginning of the draft process seemed to run around a lot and not make enough plays, but the more games I watched the more instinctive I thought he was. He offers a better combination of athleticism and football player at this stage of his career than Quay Walker. I think he is a guy that is plug and play. I don't think there is a doubt that he slides in as a starter day one of OTAs. I think the pick itself was a combination of best player available and a pick that filled a huge need for the Packers. It was a pick I would have made 9-10 times myself, especially once the Eagles moved ahead of the Packers and took DeJean.

2 Rd 58 pick A
    Javon Bullard Georgia S 5-10 198 8.25 RAS - I think he is the most complete safety in the draft with very little question marks. The only one I see is a size issue, he isn't real big. There are talks that he might be one of your two starting safeties with the ability to cover down on the slot. I think he has the football IQ to do most things decently well. I don't think he would be a great man match guy on the slot though. There was no issues with this pick. It was high end need for the Packers and when the other safeties in this draft didn't perform well at their pro-days and the Combine, Bullard emerged as Safety #1 in this draft.

3 Rd 88 Pick B+
    MarShawn Lloyd USC RB 5-9 220 8.62 RAS - I really like the player, and I did feel like he was the third best back in this draft. I had no issue where he was selected but with such a large investment in Jacobs and bringing back Dillion I thought they would have waited on RB later in the draft to pick up a developmental guy. Lloyd's vision is really good and had a crazy 7.1 yards per carry average at USC. USC ran a lot of gap scheme stuff with crazy amounts of RPO and option variants that might have caused him to run into relatively light boxes at USC. Also based on the offense he wasn't the number one option in the backfield with only 115 carries. Why a B+, I really like the kid and I don't think he was over valued, I just thought the Packers could have used that Pick to address other needs. I liked Elijah Jones CB that went just after the Packers selected MarShawn Lloyd, same with Jarrian Jones CB from FSU. Again I think he was one of the best Players taken in the 3rd round

3 Rd 91 Pick C+
    Ty'Ron Hopper Mizzou LB 6-1 231 7.42 RAS - Not a big fan of this pick. There are some big positives when talking about Hopper, like his tackle for loss numbers, 31.5 for his career and 9,5 sacks. He is ok in coverage with 10 total PBUs in his career, although I don't know if that stat will actually tell you anything about his coverage ability. I will say he has nose for the football, but animals starve for two reasons, they can't find food, or they can't kill for shit. Hopper misses too many tackles. he missed an SEC leading 18 tackles last year. I get wanting to improve your run defense, but you better get a guy that can kill what he eats. I also think his RAS score is a bit low, I know it's been said the Packers got him clocked in the low 4.5s in the forty, but it's unlike Gute to go to low on the RAS score and I think a 7.42 is boarder line for Gute. Last think, the consensus #2 linebacker in the draft was still available in Payton Wilson.

4 Rd 111 Pick B
    Evan Williams S Oregon 5-11 200 8.20 RAS - I am ok with the pick. I don't think he does anything outstanding. He is a 5 year cat that played his first 4 at Fresno St. If you need a guy to play over the top he can, he can fit the box if needed and he can run with a TE and RB. I don't think you want to live with him in man-match but he might be able to go man in a cover 1 or 0 look. I think drafting safeties with the idea you are drafting defensive backs and that they can do multiple things in coverage and the run game is smart. No reason to pigeon hole yourself with drafting a guy that can only play deep, or is basically a glorified LB. I get the pick and understand where Gute was coming from with it. I really liked Mustapha from Wake, but he had a reputation this draft as a down hill box fitter. Williams and Bullard are kind of do everything type safeties. It's to say that this pick was a safe reach. I think he test fine and has the tape to back up a 4th round pick, but he easily could have gone in the 6th. I think day 3 of the draft is a lot about individual organizations' preferences when drafting. I just don't see how high his ceiling will go and he is sort of high end depth guy at the moment in Green Bay.

5 Rd 163 Pick A-
    Jacob Monk OL Duke 6-3 308 9.74 RAS - I think and I am probably wrong, but I do think the Packers were hoping that Hunter Nourzad from Penn St was going to drop to them. When he went off the board I think Monk was the next best option for the Packers. High position flexibility for the Packers which you don't get drafted by the Packers if you can only play center. He was the second best OL at Duke, but just as flexible as Barton in terms of playing across the offensive of line. He is probably more athletic than Barton, but he doesn't have the drive or mauling ability that you truly want in an interior lineman. I think he will need to get stronger if he is to compete for a starting job in Green Bay. He was drafted in just about the right slot for his ability, and he is one of those guys that could easily be an 8 year starter in the NFL. High character guy 2 time captain at Duke.

5 Rd 169 Pick A
    Kitan Oladapo S Oregon St 6-2 215 8.18 RAS - Packers take their third safety. Finally Gute understands what I have been saying for the past 3 years, the Packers defense is weak up the middle and you can't play good defense if you can't protect the middle of the field. 3 safeties and two linebackers drafted should tell you that I am right! Now it might be a bit overkill, but I respect it! Fix it with any means necessary, he took the Ron Wolf approach and at the end of the day you can fault him for who he drafted not what he drafted. Bullard and Williams are sort of cut out of the same cloth, sort of guys that can do it all, but Oladapo has size and he runs just as well as Bullard and Williams. He is a head hunter that likes to attack ball carriers in front of him and come down hill. The great news on Oladapo is that he might be your box safety but he can cover! he didn't allow a TD pass all last year, and with his height and size he has a better chance of matching up with TEs down field. He has been used as a free safety s strong safety and a slot corner. Another team captain and has started 39 games for the Beavers. I like his ceiling it's a great pick on value end of it, but you have used 3 picks on safety and signed Xavier McKinney.

6 Rd 202 Pick B
    Travis Glover OL Georgia St 6-6 317 4.21 RAS - Obviously he is a draft and develop guy. He has played over 4000 snaps at Georgia St and has played multiple positions on the offensive line. He is just not a great or flashy athlete, but with playing so much college football you know that he can get by on his experience. If this pick works out then great, if it doesn't and he spends two years on the Practice Squads then it's a big whatever, but Gute is still addressing needs and that is offensive line depth.

7 Rd 245 Pick A+
    Michael Pratt QB Tulane 6-2 217 8.28 RAS - Competition for a backup QB and developing guys you can then ship off for more than you invested to get him. He has some decent upside and has played really good football for the Green Wave. When you throw for more than 20 TDs and less than 10 Int's in all 4 seasons you are doing something right as a college QB. Did the Packers need to take a QB, no. They did with the idea that he has the ability to develop and at least be a career backup if not a starter for some team down the road. Damn it, the world needs more Gardner Minshews, and Pratt getting out of the pool to take his draft call from the Packers might be the start of his legend. Call it my sleeper of the draft, or call it me being delusional but this might just be one of the best picks the Packers made in this draft.

7 Rd 255 Pick A
    Kalen King CB Penn St 5-11 191 6.68 RAS - A year ago he was being mentions as a potential top 15 pick in the 2024 draft. Then Marvin Harrison Jr happened, and then he had a lack luster performance at the Senior Bowl, and his Combine was damn poor. So you get a guy that just a year ago had first round potential, and is available at 255. It just makes sense. He is absolutely worth the flyer at this point in the draft, and if he can regain his form from 2022 then you have an absolute steal in this draft.
    Last edited by Deputy Nutz; 04-29-2024 at 10:04 AM.

I like this draft. The thing that keeps me from loving it was the Hopper and Williams picks. I just think that was a little early to be drafting guys I see as backup/role players. But they got the best LB and best S in the draft without reaching and those were their 2 biggest needs. I love the Monk pick. He will provide instant competition at C and RG. Myers and Rhyan better come to training camp ready to fight. King was worth a shot. It remains to be seen whether he's a real talented player who had an off year, or a player with fatal flaws that teams figured out in 2023.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Takes around the league and I agree with the B grade even though grading is pretty useless most of the time until 3 years down the road

https://twitter.com/RNBWCV/status/17...305036/photo/1

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post

3 Rd 88 Pick B+
    MarShawn Lloyd USC RB 5-9 220 8.62 RAS - I really like the player, and I did feel like he was the third best back in this draft. I had no issue where he was selected but with such a large investment in Jacobs and bringing back Dillion I thought they would have waited on RB later in the draft to pick up a developmental guy. Lloyd's vision is really good and had a crazy 7.1 yards per carry average at USC. USC ran a lot of gap scheme stuff with crazy amounts of RPO and option variants that might have caused him to run into relatively light boxes at USC. Also based on the offense he wasn't the number one option in the backfield with only 115 carries. Why a B+, I really like the kid and I don't think he was over valued, I just thought the Packers could have used that Pick to address other needs. I liked Elijah Jones CB that went just after the Packers selected MarShawn Lloyd, same with Jarrian Jones CB from FSU. Again I think he was one of the best Players taken in the 3rd round
    A lot of people had Gute taking 2 RB's this draft, so I don't think they overspent on RB. Jacobs is effectively on a 1 year deal. Dillon is not guaranteed to make this roster, and neither is Emanual Wilson. They need to hit on at least 1 RB they can count on not just for this year, but next year too.

Like you I think they underspent draft capital this year on corners. This is an especially accute issue after trading away Rasul. They picked 3 safeties - rounds 2, 4 and 5. I know at least one of those guys might be able to play some slot corner, but still, do you really need that many safeties? We needed O-line depth, but 3 guys taken before finally taking a CB with the last pick in the 7th round?

I think safety and O-line are the top suspects for overuse of draft capital this year - not RB. I think there is a mild case to be made for not having invested enough draft capital in RB.

CB is a premium position for a reason, and I hope we've got enough draft capital invested there for this year. I personally think we'll need to be a little lucky this year at CB.

For the most part, I think the Packers not drafting a CB until King was a matter of how the draft board fell. Still, they traded up twice and it wasn't for A CB. They obviously like their CB room more than the public does.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    For the most part, I think the Packers not drafting a CB until King was a matter of how the draft board fell. Still, they traded up twice and it wasn't for A CB. They obviously like their CB room more than the public does.
    I liked it too - till they traded Rasul.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I also liked the Packers CB room before the Bears added Kenan Allen and Rome Odunze to DJ Moore. Kenan Allen has killed us in the past.

I think all things considered if Stokes gets and stays healthy and I guess the same can be said for Alexander the room ain't half bad. The Ballentine and Valentine show got a lot of reps and managed to not completely shit themselves in 2023.

Of course, as they say, you don't know about a draft for a year or two or three. I'm fairly satisfied overall, though. Those letter grades seemed a little optimistic - and I say that as maybe the biggest optimist in here.

What's so bad about Hopper to make him stand out on the low end? He sounds pretty good to me. And what's so good about this guy Pratt that gets him a A+? I really can't see anybody beating out Clifford who I see as maybe the best back up in the league.

I thought maybe they would take a second RB too, but we should be fine without that. I like Dillon a lot more as a back up/part time fullback than as a primary RB. And Emmanuel Wilson is not nothing. I think we keep (and use) all four of those guys.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

18 missed tackles at LB, Hopper's miss rate was 14%

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    18 missed tackles at LB, Hopper's miss rate was 14%
    That, and I fell asleep in his highlight video. Hope they know a little something extra on that guy.

Good write up. I was a little meh about some of the mid round picks, but skimming through and comparing to what other teams did, I think GB did fine.

Morgan was a meh pick to me but there's buzz that other teams liked in R1, so he wasn't lasting until 41 no matter what draftniks say. It sounds like they'll try him a T first -- which is another topic -- and also give him a chance at G.

I like the Cooper and Bullard picks. If you told me they took Cooper at 25 and Morgan at 41, I'd probably be fine with it. He might be more pro-ready than Quay was and will pair nicely with him in nickel D. They are going to have speed at ILB. Bullard should be the favorite to start with McKinney. Will be an vastly improved safety group compared to last year's.

Some didn't like the Lloyd pick in R3, I think that's an ok time to start looking at RBs and if there's a good one and you need one, take him. Dillon is no guarantee to make the roster, RBs get hurt all the time, and you need a younger guy to develop. Plus, he's thickly built, shifty as hell, and low-wear. Jaylen Wright might have been more fun here, but still a good pick IMO.

The Hopper pick was a mystery to me, but I'm still watching some of his games. He's... okay? At worst he pushes McDuffie for playing time and is on ST. He's basically LB4 right now and that's fine.

The Day 3 picks are all ok to me, the OL was really picked over by then and they didn't need much at WR, TE, or CB. I need to watch Williams but he's competition for Bullard. I've heard his ceiling is Morgan Burnett-ish, which is fine. I liked what I saw of Jacob Monk -- I watched him play FSU, NC and Clemson and he held his own against those teams. He's far from a finished prospect or a perfect player -- there are definitely warts to his game that coaching can fix -- but he's got versatility and will at least push Myers/Rhyan for snaps. Oladapo is a fun player. Glover is developmental guy and more of a people mover than a zone OL which is really interesting but maybe he can do something for you if you go 6 OL on the goal line.

Pratt was considered a better prospect than Sean Clifford and was expected to go earlier than he did. In a weaker QB class (like... next year's) he'd go much earlier. Doesn't turn the ball over, team leader, will benefit from Tom Clements' coaching. I really like taking a flier on Kalen King -- he might be nothing, or he might be Carrington Valentine. I wonder if he could play safety if CB doesn't work out. King certainly sounds motivated to make it.

When I went thru each round and looked at who was drafted up to 10 picks after GB, there usually wasn't much better available... so I'm good with the draft. They got a few needs addressed and I think they got better. Excited to see if/how it comes together.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Good write up. I was a little meh about some of the mid round picks, but skimming through and comparing to what other teams did, I think GB did fine.

Morgan was a meh pick to me but there's buzz that other teams liked in R1, so he wasn't lasting until 41 no matter what draftniks say. It sounds like they'll try him a T first -- which is another topic -- and also give him a chance at G.

I like the Cooper and Bullard picks. If you told me they took Cooper at 25 and Morgan at 41, I'd probably be fine with it. He might be more pro-ready than Quay was and will pair nicely with him in nickel D. They are going to have speed at ILB. Bullard should be the favorite to start with McKinney. Will be an vastly improved safety group compared to last year's.

Some didn't like the Lloyd pick in R3, I think that's an ok time to start looking at RBs and if there's a good one and you need one, take him. Dillon is no guarantee to make the roster, RBs get hurt all the time, and you need a younger guy to develop. Plus, he's thickly built, shifty as hell, and low-wear. Jaylen Wright might have been more fun here, but still a good pick IMO.

The Hopper pick was a mystery to me, but I'm still watching some of his games. He's... okay? At worst he pushes McDuffie for playing time and is on ST. He's basically LB4 right now and that's fine.

The Day 3 picks are all ok to me, the OL was really picked over by then and they didn't need much at WR, TE, or CB. I need to watch Williams but he's competition for Bullard. I've heard his ceiling is Morgan Burnett-ish, which is fine. I liked what I saw of Jacob Monk -- I watched him play FSU, NC and Clemson and he held his own against those teams. He's far from a finished prospect or a perfect player -- there are definitely warts to his game that coaching can fix -- but he's got versatility and will at least push Myers/Rhyan for snaps. Oladapo is a fun player. Glover is developmental guy and more of a people mover than a zone OL which is really interesting but maybe he can do something for you if you go 6 OL on the goal line.

Pratt was considered a better prospect than Sean Clifford and was expected to go earlier than he did. In a weaker QB class (like... next year's) he'd go much earlier. Doesn't turn the ball over, team leader, will benefit from Tom Clements' coaching. I really like taking a flier on Kalen King -- he might be nothing, or he might be Carrington Valentine. I wonder if he could play safety if CB doesn't work out. King certainly sounds motivated to make it.

When I went thru each round and looked at who was drafted up to 10 picks after GB, there usually wasn't much better available... so I'm good with the draft. They got a few needs addressed and I think they got better. Excited to see if/how it comes together.
    Funny how no one can really agree on basic traits that are not exactly measureable. One draft site I read commented that Marshawn Lloyd has terrible vision. Nutz, who knows his shit (well, except maybe for Clifford-over-Love), says Lloyd had great vision. I guess the only way to really know is to talk to his eye doctor.

I appreciate the comments from those of you who actually take the time to do some research, and I appreciate that a few of you here actually know football well, having coached it on some level or really studied it. To me, this is just a hobby, so I don't do shit in terms of research. I just spout mostly mindless bullshit, so the real pleasure for me is learning from those of you here who know something about football.

As Nutz said, this was a really Ron Wolfy draft in terms of loading up at positions of need. Remember when Wolf took defensive backs with his first three picks? So if one of the three safeties can become a really good starter, and one shines on special teams, it's probably okay.

Speaking of special teams, I am half-wondering if Rich Bisaccia has some compromising pictures of Guter. A guy like Dennis Hopper in the third round - as a linebacker he seems, from what I've read, really not very promising, but as a special teamer, he has the skills to excel.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I saw nothing from the USC tape to say Lloyd has vision. But as I said somewhere else I can't fault the guy for running through wide open holes that happened to be exactly where they were meant to be.

One other point, I keep seeing people refer to Dillon as a RB. I promise he isn't at this point. They brought him back to be DeGuara. He will be our Juzuzyk or however the fuck he spells it. I think Wilson is RB3 at this point and we will see Dillon have about 35 carries and 35 catches this year.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Good stuff, Nutz. I thought your take on Hooch was spot on.

Fritz, I was thinking maybe Bisaccia being an assistant HC might have led to such an emphasis on ST in this draft, but I also think the KO format revamp has something to do with it

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Good stuff, Nutz. I thought your take on Hooch was spot on.

Fritz, I was thinking maybe Bisaccia being an assistant HC might have led to such an emphasis on ST in this draft, but I also think the KO format revamp has something to do with it
    That's a good point. It does make sense.

And since so many of us - myself included - cried and cried about how special teams keeps costing this team, maybe this draft will look a whole lot better if special teams has a great year because of all these rookie safeties and linebackers.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Jim and Pat on 'Movin' the Chains' say the Pack had a good draft and the team got better over the weekend.

Their collective take was Morgan, Cooper and Bullard can all be pencilled in as starters.

They were very high on Morgan saying he's strong AF and likes to bully people; he's got a killer instinct.

Lloyd will get work.

Monk was an interesting prospect, but developmental.

They also like the QB.

These two aren't infallible; to their credit, they own their mistakes, but I find them to be the most dependable media source out there.

FWIW.

Blog Entries
    Would agree with all of this except the Hopper grade might be too high for round 3. Overall I think Gute did a great job
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Would agree with all of this except the Hopper grade might be too high for round 3. Overall I think Gute did a great job
    I don't love the kid. He is a boom or bust, but I think he actually knows the game unlike a Torrance Marshall type. If he wants to stick in Green Bay he will have to finish tackles, be a demon on special teams. It's a C+, I think the Player and the draft spot is a C but gets the bump because it was a position of need that Gute finally addressed.