Thread: Grading the Packer's Draft

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Back to this draft: I think the 2nd round was pretty good, and I like some of the Day 3 picks. I'll leave it at that. It's hard to say much else when we haven't even seen them in a preseason game yet.

I don't understand how media can "grade" a draft other than to compare a team's draft with their own board or a consensus board, which is not going to match the team's board. The best they can do is compare based on team needs and perceived value according to a public draft listing.
    It's like comparing the answers to two similar but not identical math tests.

Draft grades are content to feed fan appetite. Nobody remembers what writers gave the 2021 draft. Fun watercooler stuff but meaningless.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Back to this draft: I think the 2nd round was pretty good, and I like some of the Day 3 picks. I'll leave it at that. It's hard to say much else when we haven't even seen them in a preseason game yet.

I don't understand how media can "grade" a draft other than to compare a team's draft with their own board or a consensus board, which is not going to match the team's board. The best they can do is compare based on team needs and perceived value according to a public draft listing.
    It's like comparing the answers to two similar but not identical math tests.

Draft grades are content to feed fan appetite. Nobody remembers what writers gave the 2021 draft. Fun watercooler stuff but meaningless.
    I was listening to NFL Radio on Sirius and they were saying a draft picks value is nothing until they start helping your team win games. All they are is potential at this point, we will find out if this draft was good or bad when the players hit the field or don't.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    I was listening to NFL Radio on Sirius and they were saying a draft picks value is nothing until they start helping your team win games. All they are is potential at this point, we will find out if this draft was good or bad when the players hit the field or don't.
    True. You can "grade" a draft for whether the team stuck to a coherent plan, whether they addressed positional needs, and that sort of thing, but you can't grade the picks themselves until you're at least two seasons in, probably three.

So if Quay Walker and Devonte Wyatt don't take that one more step, then you can probably say that draft was not so great, in terms of the first round. They're both starting-caliber, which is good, but both seem to have not quite met the first-round expectations. Though this could be that year.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    True. You can "grade" a draft for whether the team stuck to a coherent plan, whether they addressed positional needs, and that sort of thing, but you can't grade the picks themselves until you're at least two seasons in, probably three.

So if Quay Walker and Devonte Wyatt don't take that one more step, then you can probably say that draft was not so great, in terms of the first round. They're both starting-caliber, which is good, but both seem to have not quite met the first-round expectations. Though this could be that year.
    Your first round expectations are higher than mine.