Thread: Grading the Packer's Draft

Have we regraded the 2021 draft yet?

Green Bay Packers 2021 NFL Draft Picks:

Round 1: No. 29 - Eric Stokes, CB, Georgia
    Round 2: No. 62 - Josh Myers, C, Ohio State
    Round 3: No. 85 - Amari Rodgers, WR, Clemson
    Round 4: No. 142 (Compensatory) - Royce Newman, OG, Ole Miss
    Round 5: No. 173 - Tedarrell Slaton, DT, Florida
    Round 5: No. 178 (Compensatory) - Shemar Jean-Charles, CB, Appalachian State
    Round 6: No. 214 - Cole Van Lanen, OT, Wisconsin
    Round 6: No. 220 (Compensatory) - Isaiah McDuffie, LB, Boston College
    Round 7: No. 256 - Kylin Hill, RB, Mississippi State

Quote Originally Posted by Fosco33 View Post

Holy cow. Unless Stokes has a miraculous comeback season - emphasis on the miraculous - then the above grade is appropriate. Myers has been okay - which is like saying AJ Dillon, also a second-round pick, is okay. You used two second-round picks in two different draft at positions in which you'd expect - given the nature of those positions, which don't get drafted terribly early generally - that they'd be great. But no. They are okay. Myers will, I think, be allowed to walk at the end of this season.

Slaton and McDuffie are decent players. But that's it. One oft-injured and after-season-one ineffective corner. One okay center. One backup guard. One rotational defensive tackle. One backup/okay linebacker.

Not a "Geez, he's really darn good" among them. Four guys no longer with the team at all.

Pretty stinky.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Where's the Fire Gute! thread?

Fritz, you are a harsh grader. Ignore injuries. Stokes, Myers, slaton and McDuffie can olay at various levels. We Recouped the van lanen pick. Hill.was a good talent, but a head case that didn't pan out.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

As for this draft, things I like. We drafted football players. High character guys. I like Morgan and cooper even if I think we took him a tad early. Most of our picks have a lot of snaps under the belt so they are ready to play and easy to project. Another nice day 3.

Things I hated. We should have moved up to get DeJean. He is bigger and faster than Bullard. We could have used 90 with some late capital to land both coopers. Also, when we doubled up at LB Wilson was there. He is a.much better prospect. Ok, he's older. You will probably max out at 7 years with him. Big deal. Show me hopper (who I don't hate) at thee 7 year mark. My best guess is we won't want him starting.

We took a RB in 3rd who I think they view as a 3rd down back. The NFL is littered with guys like that. I hate that we really appeared to draft for need way too often.

Draft should have been more like.Morgan, Cooper x2, wilson, and still most of the other guys we got. Maybe we lose the RB pick in a trade back and have to take a different RB in the 5th instead.

Gutes has earned the benefit of the doubt, but I feel like opportunities were lost. I don't hate the guys we got, just feel we could have done better.
    Last edited by bobblehead; 04-30-2024 at 01:50 PM.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar

No Pro Bowlers, but Contributors. I can't give an F because guys from that draft are still participating on this team C-

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I saw nothing from the USC tape to say Lloyd has vision. But as I said somewhere else I can't fault the guy for running through wide open holes that happened to be exactly where they were meant to be.

One other point, I keep seeing people refer to Dillon as a RB. I promise he isn't at this point. They brought him back to be DeGuara. He will be our Juzuzyk or however the fuck he spells it. I think Wilson is RB3 at this point and we will see Dillon have about 35 carries and 35 catches this year.
    Go get your eyes checked, pick up new lens, and then watch again. Lloyd is good is good at finding daylight in black holes.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Who did we get with the 7th for Van Lanen...was it Valentine? If so, it ups the grade.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Would agree with all of this except the Hopper grade might be too high for round 3. Overall I think Gute did a great job
    This was a weak draft class; fell off round three. So, everything they managed to pick up was a bonus after their first four picks; several teams mailed it in early.

I thought they picked up a lot of great players day three.

2021 wouldn't be nearly as bad if Stokes hadn't fucked up his leg. Granted, missing on Newman and getting only meh, but starter, play from Myers, stings. McDuffie was probably the best pick, which is kinda sad.

Kylin Hill looked decent before he ruined his knee, also.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Fritz, you are a harsh grader. Ignore injuries. Stokes, Myers, slaton and McDuffie can olay at various levels. We Recouped the van lanen pick. Hill.was a good talent, but a head case that didn't pan out.
    You assume because of the image I posted that I gave the draft a failing grade.

However, some poop is of better quality than other poop. Any poop after a bag of White Castle hamburgers is the worst of the worst of poops. Your shredded-looking, slightly green poop after a meal of mashed potatoes and ribeye following the day before's pizza is bad, really bad. But if you're eating salad, and you have some corn with your vegetarian main dish, than you're looking at a well-formed, higher quality poop.

I'd say it was a poopy draft, but not White-Castle-Poop bad. Stokes, at the beginning of his second year - before he suffered his major injury - already had some folks scratching their heads at what seemed to be a drop-off in his play. Myers - a functional center, but you hope for more than functional with a second round pick. Slaton, a rotational guy. Newman, barely hanging on depth guy. Kylin Hill actually looked promising before he hurt himself and then showed his head-case side. So they took a seventh-round swing on him, no problem.

But really, a poopy draft. Mid-range-quality poop, but still, poopy.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

2021 draft - Stokes being injured makes it a little tough to grade, but drags things down.
    Myers is an average NFL starting C. Not above average, not below average. You can win with him, but you'll be looking to replace him. He'll get a contract somewhere, even if it's a 1 year deal. A bit steep to use a R2 on him, and over Humphrey but he's started a lot of games.
    Rodgers was a bad pick.
    Newman was a starter as a rookie and held up well, and went downhill from there. There's some value returned by a R4 OL who gave you 24 starts, even if half of them were meh at best.
    TJ Slaton is turning in to a good player. He had some games last year where he was really good. He's a bit miscast in a 4-3 but he will absolutely get a 2nd contract somewhere.
    SJC never panned out. I thought he was a slot CB but they tried him outside mostly.
    Cole Van Lanen turned into the Anthony Johnson Jr. pick. Jury's out there, but CVL is still playing for JAX
    McDuffie might be a starter this year, he's been solid depth and ST stalwart. Not bad for R6. A lot of R6 guys don't stay on the roster the length of their contract. He'll get a 2nd contract somewhere.
    Kylin Hill showed promise, then he ran the kickoff out when he wasn't supposed to, blew out his knee, and got mad about his spot on the depth chart. They let him go and after a cup of coffee here and there I believe he's out of football. That's how it goes with R7 picks sometimes.

I'd give the draft a C-, simply because of Stokes being hurt, and the whiff on Rodgers. Myers and Newman have been disappointments but the draft as a whole wasn't a total dud.

Here's a grade: Giant F to the Falcons for taking Penix at 8, and after paying Cousins. They let the Bears pick Rome Odunze, who will be a problem for the NFCN.

Pretty annoyed the Vikings got Dallas Turner, too, even if they didn't get much else this year (or next).

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    2021 draft - Stokes being injured makes it a little tough to grade, but drags things down.
    Myers is an average NFL starting C. Not above average, not below average. You can win with him, but you'll be looking to replace him. He'll get a contract somewhere, even if it's a 1 year deal. A bit steep to use a R2 on him, and over Humphrey but he's started a lot of games.
    Rodgers was a bad pick.
    Newman was a starter as a rookie and held up well, and went downhill from there. There's some value returned by a R4 OL who gave you 24 starts, even if half of them were meh at best.
    TJ Slaton is turning in to a good player. He had some games last year where he was really good. He's a bit miscast in a 4-3 but he will absolutely get a 2nd contract somewhere.
    SJC never panned out. I thought he was a slot CB but they tried him outside mostly.
    Cole Van Lanen turned into the Anthony Johnson Jr. pick. Jury's out there, but CVL is still playing for JAX
    McDuffie might be a starter this year, he's been solid depth and ST stalwart. Not bad for R6. A lot of R6 guys don't stay on the roster the length of their contract. He'll get a 2nd contract somewhere.
    Kylin Hill showed promise, then he ran the kickoff out when he wasn't supposed to, blew out his knee, and got mad about his spot on the depth chart. They let him go and after a cup of coffee here and there I believe he's out of football. That's how it goes with R7 picks sometimes.

I'd give the draft a C-, simply because of Stokes being hurt, and the whiff on Rodgers. Myers and Newman have been disappointments but the draft as a whole wasn't a total dud.
    It weren't a draft that gets you closer to the Super Bowl. Let's put it that way.

KYPack

Stokes, SJC and Slaton are the only picks at "Premium Positions" (QB. OT, DL, EDGE, CB) so if they don't hit on those they aren't very glamorous. Missing on Amari was tough too.

I think looking at number of starts, if they reach the end of their contract on the roster, and if they get a 2nd contract are all reasonable metrics if combined with others.

Picking Amari over Amon-Ra or Nico Collins still stings, and it's very easy to bias the entire class negatively based on his ROI alone.

Back to this draft: I think the 2nd round was pretty good, and I like some of the Day 3 picks. I'll leave it at that. It's hard to say much else when we haven't even seen them in a preseason game yet.

I don't understand how media can "grade" a draft other than to compare a team's draft with their own board or a consensus board, which is not going to match the team's board. The best they can do is compare based on team needs and perceived value according to a public draft listing.
    It's like comparing the answers to two similar but not identical math tests.

Draft grades are content to feed fan appetite. Nobody remembers what writers gave the 2021 draft. Fun watercooler stuff but meaningless.

Stokes, SJC and Slaton are the only picks at "Premium Positions" (QB. OT, DL, EDGE, CB) so if they don't hit on those they aren't very glamorous. Missing on Amari was tough too.

I think looking at number of starts, if they reach the end of their contract on the roster, and if they get a 2nd contract are all reasonable metrics if combined with others.

Picking Amari over Amon-Ra or Nico Collins still stings, and it's very easy to bias the entire class negatively based on his ROI alone.
    Making it a little worse, I think Gute traded up for Amari.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Back to this draft: I think the 2nd round was pretty good, and I like some of the Day 3 picks. I'll leave it at that. It's hard to say much else when we haven't even seen them in a preseason game yet.

I don't understand how media can "grade" a draft other than to compare a team's draft with their own board or a consensus board, which is not going to match the team's board. The best they can do is compare based on team needs and perceived value according to a public draft listing.
    It's like comparing the answers to two similar but not identical math tests.

Draft grades are content to feed fan appetite. Nobody remembers what writers gave the 2021 draft. Fun watercooler stuff but meaningless.
    I was listening to NFL Radio on Sirius and they were saying a draft picks value is nothing until they start helping your team win games. All they are is potential at this point, we will find out if this draft was good or bad when the players hit the field or don't.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    I was listening to NFL Radio on Sirius and they were saying a draft picks value is nothing until they start helping your team win games. All they are is potential at this point, we will find out if this draft was good or bad when the players hit the field or don't.
    True. You can "grade" a draft for whether the team stuck to a coherent plan, whether they addressed positional needs, and that sort of thing, but you can't grade the picks themselves until you're at least two seasons in, probably three.

So if Quay Walker and Devonte Wyatt don't take that one more step, then you can probably say that draft was not so great, in terms of the first round. They're both starting-caliber, which is good, but both seem to have not quite met the first-round expectations. Though this could be that year.

KYPack