Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Rants

So there really are benefits to sucking so bad at sports that you never get MVP for anything... Glad to here your son is not one of us as with me there was never any question or any real hope of MVPs.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Oh shit look there, i put it on the front page for ya, your welcome bud.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly. -Morticia Addams

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy
    So there really are benefits to sucking so bad at sports that you never get MVP for anything... Glad to here your son is not one of us as with me there was never any question or any real hope of MVPs.
    I have a terrible confession to make; my five year old daughter sucks at baseball. It's a bit traumatizing.

Haha Bretsky, but she will be play softball, a little easier sport, if she is eight there is plenty of room for improvement! haha
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly. -Morticia Addams

B, hate to break it to you...but ALL five-year-olds (male OR female) suck at softball. It's way too early for you to be turning into one of "those" dads...

Here's a little rant...

I was at 'AmericaFest' in Pasadena last night at the RoseBowl - pretty sweet show and even an unexpected fire (took down a bunch of palm trees and a wooden gate entrance).

BUT, how the fuck can some drivers not understand how to exit a stadium parking lot? There's always some jackass who thinks they're too important to let one driver go ahead (in the classic 1-1 turn on to the parking lot exit). OR, somebody just blares their stupid horn trying to cut ahead. It's not like you're gonna get out any faster....

Ahh, stupidity - keeping average intelligence valued since the dawn of time.

Quote Originally Posted by FavreChild
    B, hate to break it to you...but ALL five-year-olds (male OR female) suck at softball. It's way too early for you to be turning into one of "those" dads...

Isn't that half the fun of it! No, honey! Stop picking flowers now and run and get the ball! Now throw it in--no, no not that way, sweetie!! This way, toward little Will. No, that's ok. The shortstop will come out and get it. Oooh they got a home run. That's ok. We'll go out for ice cream after the game. Final score: 27-35 and a nice bouquet for Mom.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

My 5 year old neice plays Tee-ball. I just enjoy being out there.

I guess i must rant, or else foreskin will get all upset.....so umm its hot out there? (well not always) Oh shit, yes, the sand gnats are HORRIBLE.

Blog Entries
    Today my rant was..............Taylor..........Baseball players do NOT play in the sand !!

FC, hate to say it, but I am one of those dads the believes his daughters will be star athleted in High School.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky
    Today my rant was..............Taylor..........Baseball players do NOT play in the sand !!

FC, hate to say it, but I am one of those dads the believes his daughters will be star athleted in High School.
    Then give 'em til then to get to that level. Right now it's supposed to be fun so they get hooked. That's where the post-game ice cream comes in. And end-of-the-season pizza party.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky

Then give 'em til then to get to that level. Right now it's supposed to be fun so they get hooked. That's where the post-game ice cream comes in. And end-of-the-season pizza party.
    I can tell you'd be a calming influence on me if we were hitched. I'd be chanting........winning and succeeding is fun; you'd be telling me to shut up and reward her with ice cream

And in reality the answer is somewhere in the middle.

Nothing wrong with that belief, Bretsky, my friend. However, talent level at five years old (again, an age when NO ONE is talented) is not an accurate predictor of success.

Fourth grade is the earliest possible time to start drawing conclusions. Five years to go. Meanwhile, continue to build her interest and bond with her over sports. Make her feel smart about the RULES and KNOWLEDGE of the game. Her efforts to build skills will grow naturally from that. She'll want to please you without your needing to apply pressure.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    I have on purpose ignored my daughter's athletic gifts at such a young age. She can hit the ball off the tee anyway she wants, kick the ball anyway she wants, and shoot the ball anyway she wants. I commend her, but I do not ask her to play catch or if she wants to hit the ball of the tee, she must initiate the activity. She is hands down on of the most physically gifted youngins I have ever seen and I have seen a lot, but I cannot begin to push her into sports, because soon it becomes forcing, and then I end up coaching, and forget about coaching your kids, That sucks. Naw, she will do it on her own, I will pay for any for any coach or lessons, but I will become too controlling and obssesive over her athletics.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutz
    I have on purpose ignored my daughter's athletic gifts at such a young age. She can hit the ball off the tee anyway she wants, kick the ball anyway she wants, and shoot the ball anyway she wants. I commend her, but I do not ask her to play catch or if she wants to hit the ball of the tee, she must initiate the activity. She is hands down on of the most physically gifted youngins I have ever seen and I have seen a lot, but I cannot begin to push her into sports, because soon it becomes forcing, and then I end up coaching, and forget about coaching your kids, That sucks. Naw, she will do it on her own, I will pay for any for any coach or lessons, but I will become too controlling and obssesive over her athletics.

I don't think there's anything wrong with coaching your kids nutz as long as you are able to be objective. You would have to know if you could handle it. I think it's the coolest thing when a parent can coach a son or daughter.....but like I said they have to be objective and fair in their coaching.

Since I'm in the rant thread, I have to retract a previous rant I made along this subject line. I was ranting (ok, ok...bitching) that my son didn't get picked for All Stars in baseball this year. I later found out he did get nominated, but just didn't get picked and it had more to do with the district we live in than anything. I guess too many jocks live in our district. Anyway, the coach went out of his way to let us know that and it meant a lot.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    I have coached at every level in high school athletics, and I have coached in middle schools, and let me tell ya there is no way that I would want to deal with my child while coaching. I coached my cousin this year in wrestling, and boy was it tough. I simply knew too much about him because of our relationship, and that made it really tough to treat him like the other athletes. I couldn't imagine if that was my daughter.

I have coached at every level in high school athletics, and I have coached in middle schools, and let me tell ya there is no way that I would want to deal with my child while coaching. I coached my cousin this year in wrestling, and boy was it tough. I simply knew too much about him because of our relationship, and that made it really tough to treat him like the other athletes. I couldn't imagine if that was my daughter.
    Cool you know your limits. Maybe it's best you just help out at practice.
    That means a lot to the kids too.

Quote Originally Posted by GrnBay007
    Cool you know your limits. Maybe it's best you just help out at practice.
    That means a lot to the kids too.
    It is good you know your limits. Our HS Assistant Soccer coach put his freshman kid on the varsity team at a time when we were top 5 in state. Not only did it piss off a number of sophs and juniors who ended up on JV, but the kid literally weighed in the neighborhood of 95 pounds. A few games in, the kid gets his ankle broken because he's playing against guys at least twice his size. Way to go dad.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

What, are we not ranting anymore??

Ok, rant of the evening.... as I'm listening to the classic rock station on Yahoo, I'm hearing Motley Crue, ZZ Top and the Black Crows.

no no no no no !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GBRulz
    What, are we not ranting anymore??

Ok, rant of the evening.... as I'm listening to the classic rock station on Yahoo, I'm hearing Motley Crue, ZZ Top and the Black Crows.

no no no no no !!!!!

I know what you mean. It's like the "oldies" station playing 80's music. Can't they show a little respect........80's music is not old....lol

I remember when I was growing up, I used to get so irritated because my Dad always had the oldies station on, which was mostly stuff from the 60's. I always said "I don't know how you can listen to that crap".

Now...let's fast forward 20 years and I often find myself tuned into to the 80's channel on Sirius. the only difference I guess is that I don't have any kids to annoy because I listen to "oldies"