Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: And I thought all he did was "Feliz Navidad"

Aww buck up lil camper. Your heart will mend. Listen to some Across 5 Aprils and lament.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

The Bottom Line:
    Formally Numb, same person, same views of M3

SRV was the man.

But Guitar Shorty can get it done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1jKiBgnPxo

He is just crazy in concert....doing backflips and shit.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool
    Thursday is pretty obscure, but Sunny Day Real Estate is generally credited with starting the "Emo" sound or at least bringing it out of the Washington DC area to everyone else.

Its sort of the backlash of punk dying out in the late 80's and college age musicians who were in between metal and college indie rock.

The first couple of bands actually stood in front of the crowd playing and screamed lyrics instead of using a microphone. They were said to be very emotional(emo) when playing.

At least this is the story that I got. I just like the aggressiveness of the music without regressing into total anger. Plus most of the bands sing about how girls did them wrong.
    Sunny Day were a Seattle band. Emo came outta D.C. as you noted. First "emo" bands came from hard core bands like Minor Threat and Bad Brains. Emo referred to the more personal, technical and tuneful of that scene.

Think expresive vocals over barking rants.

First emo band is generally acknowledged to be Rites of Spring and then Embrace (McKaye's band after minor threat and before Fugazi). His label, Discord fostered the scene..Dag Nasty, Nation of Ulysses, etc. Fugazi is looked at as the definitive early emo band, crossing over to the alt rock fans as well.

If you or anyone else isn't listening to Fugazi then i implore you to stop and give them a listen. One of the great bands of all time.

Sunny day definitely incorporated emo into their music..as well as Seattle grunge, straight-up prog-rock, and crooned vocals. And, for many they defined the emo sound..the sound that tons of bands like the promise ring, JTB, etc. borrowed from.

It is a pretty wide scene now....from stuff like At the drive In to Pedro the Lion.

Interesting that Wisco is well repped in the genre with The Promise Ring and Rainer Maria.

I just decided that "What's Goin On" by Marvin Gaye is the greatest album ever. Well, most beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out
    SRV was the man.

But Guitar Shorty can get it done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1jKiBgnPxo

He is just crazy in concert....doing backflips and shit.
    Just think if the young urban troubadours of today idolized people like him rather than tupak and snoop dog
    The Bottom Line:
    Formally Numb, same person, same views of M3

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby
    I just decided that "What's Goin On" by Marvin Gaye is the greatest album ever. Well, most beautiful.
    Several Detroit Lions provide the backing vocals on the intro to "What's Goin' On?"
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/icebowltickets.png

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Mike
    Several Detroit Lions provide the backing vocals on the intro to "What's Goin' On?"
    Marvin Gaye's goal was to play football for the Detroit Lions. (seriously!) He was an excellent athlete. I suspect his cocaine addiction in the 70's limited him to late afternoon basketball at the Y. Very late afternoon.