Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What do I do in Salt Lake?

What do I do in Salt Lake?

I have to go to Salt Lake City for two weeks for work. Anyone ever been there? Am I going to go into culture shock?

I'm a photography junkie, so I do want to do some sight seeing. From pics that I've seen, Utah is beautiful. I'll be pretty busy during the week, but on the weekend I'll have some free time. Any places to go or see that you recommend?

Head for the mountains, they are spectacular. Don't plan on going to too many 'nite spots' tho! Pretty dry place.

Senior Rat Veteran CyclonePackFan's Avatar
    Find multiple spouses

Now, now you know they don't do that anymore.......................do they?

The Mormons don't, no. However, I'm sure there are still plenty of polygymists in the area!

I was thinking of renting a car and driving to yellowstone over the weekend while I'm there. According to Mapquest, it's about 6 hours, which means 4-1/2 by my standards, lol

I think Yellowstone is overrated. I heard there are some beautiful places in Utah. Bryce Canyon, Zion National Park, and such. Utah is the only Western state I haven't been to.

Say hi to Bill Henrickson for me.
    "I've got one word for you- Dallas, Texas, Super Bowl"- Jermichael Finley

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers
    I think Yellowstone is overrated. I heard there are some beautiful places in Utah. Bryce Canyon, Zion National Park, and such. Utah is the only Western state I haven't been to.
    The way to truly appreciate Yellowstone, IMO, is to get off the tourist loops and take hikes through the backcountry. There you will get a true appreciation of the park and its beauty.

IMHO, Glacier National Park is much nicer, and it doesn't get half the pub.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers
    IMHO, Glacier National Park is much nicer, and it doesn't get half the pub.
    Harvey,

I have to agree with you about Glacier being superior to Yellowstone. I found it incredible where some of its scenery literally takes your breath away.

GBRulz,

I believe Utah also has a huge dinosaur bone find. The Paleontologists are still slowly excavating some of its many bones.

Young kids, and those of us who are young at heart, remain fascinated by dinosaurs.

Glacier Park's 'Road to the Sun' is unreal.
    Even you, GB, would have to slow down!

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Just make sure you dont meet up with some inbred hillbillies like on "The Hills have Eyes".

Want about swimming? You gonna see if you really do float in the salt water?

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker
    Just make sure you dont meet up with some inbred hillbillies like on "The Hills have Eyes".

Want about swimming? You gonna see if you really do float in the salt water?
    In the Dead Sea you do. It's awesome.
    "I've got one word for you- Dallas, Texas, Super Bowl"- Jermichael Finley

haha, thanks for your caring words, Mad ! I'm more worried about getting tanked and coming home as someone's 6th wife !

I was looking at some ATV Tours that looked cool, but unfortunetely, there is still alot of snow in the mountains so the tours don't start running until June. I don't think I'll have time to drive to Southern Utah.

Does anyone recommend Park City? I am kinda looking for things within about 2 hours of the city.

Quote Originally Posted by packinpatland
    Head for the mountains, they are spectacular. Don't plan on going to too many 'nite spots' tho! Pretty dry place.
    I just read where you actually have to buy like a license to get into bars around there. I forget exactly how they worded it, but basically it seems to act like a cover charge. I also read where restaurants have 2 drink maximum's in an hour.

I am coming from the state that boasts the largest party school in the nation and going to the state with the lowest party school! (BYU) I think I'm in for an ounce of culture shock !

Doesn't it defy all logic that Jim McMahan went to BYU?

Quote Originally Posted by packinpatland
    Doesn't it defy all logic that Jim McMahan went to BYU?
    In his yearbook, McMahon was asked, "What is your most memorable experience at BYU?"

His response: "Leaving it!"

By the way, sure like your new avatar.

I now live in SLC during the week for work. If you ski, this place is ridiculous.

The hiking will be sweet in a few weeks.

The bars - err - 'social clubs' are pretty lame. You have to get a license to drink (membership) and the beer is only 3.2%. If you like mixed drinks, it's limited to like 3/4 of a shot.

Unfortunately, I've only been here a few weeks myself otherwise I'd give you some more options.