Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What do I do in Salt Lake?

ok, what is 3.2% beer? Is that like domestic stuff, say Miller or Bud?

How much is a pack of smokes in Utah? Do I need to stock up here?

Quote Originally Posted by packinpatland
    By the way, sure like your new avatar.
    Thanks much.

I wanted to give equal time to the Oregon State Beavers as well as the Oregon Ducks. In this state, many native Oregonians believe you have to "Love one team and hate the other."

As a transplanted Wisconsinite, I happen to cheer for both teams.

My primary college football allegiance, however, remains the Wisconsin Badgers.

Quote Originally Posted by GBRulz

3.2 beer is sold is Iowa as well. Its 1/2 the alcohol content of standard beer. In MN, its the only thing you can buy after 8:00. You just have to drink it twice as fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool

3.2 beer is sold is Iowa as well. Its 1/2 the alcohol content of standard beer. In MN, its the only thing you can buy after 8:00. You just have to drink it twice as fast.
    If you check bags, bring some real liquor and drink before you go out.

3.2 blows - it's like drinking water - even moreso than normal. I do feel pretty cool when I can pound back a 12er though

In reality, a few other states have 3.2 (Colorado/Oklahoma - and others). It's actually not 'half' because the brewers have to measure by weight instead of volume. So, 3.2 is really about 4.8% when thinking about Miller Lite as 6%. Roughly, a 6 pack in Utah is about 5 beers anywhere else - but the taste is noticable.

You can be in West Yellowstone in 4.5 hours. You can be in Zion in about 5 hours. I'd highly recommend Zion if you can only check out one of them. Especially at this time of year. The weather there is more like Phoenix than SLC. I love Yellowstone, but Zion is my favorite. Be sure and hike Angel's Landing if you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Fosco33
    If you ski, this place is ridiculous.

hehehe.....

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell

hehehe.....
    I can barely get down a run on one of the ski hills in the UP without falling. I think I'll pass on the Utah mountains!

I wouldn't mind doing some hiking. Probably will have to go south though, so I'm not dealing with snow!

hehehe.....
    I can barely get down a run on one of the ski hills in the UP without falling. I think I'll pass on the Utah mountains!

I wouldn't mind doing some hiking. Probably will have to go south though, so I'm not dealing with snow!
    I went down Deer Valley during the film fest in Jan '06. I was in a blue/green level

I'd only been skiing a few other times (and all large mountains) - I get to the top off the 2nd lift and was about to crap my pants. I ended up making a couple long runs and got better but skiing is not my forte -Bad knees-

I'm flying out today, with a drink in hand already as I hate flying. I had a really bad experience like 10 years ago when we flew to Vegas. Worst plane ride ever. Ever since then, I won't get on a plane without at least 3 drinks!

I was doing some research on Zion National Park. Some of the hiking trails are ridiculous! I think one was called Angel's Landing. It looks to be about 4 feet wide and the deep canyon is below! As some of you know, I'm a photography junkie, so I'm way excited about some of the great photo op's that I'll have out there.

GBRulz,

Have a great trip! Who knows? You might run into Robert Redford out there.

Upon your return, we all expect a full accounting of your Utah adventures. Inquiring minds want to know!

I'm flying out today, with a drink in hand already as I hate flying. I had a really bad experience like 10 years ago when we flew to Vegas. Worst plane ride ever. Ever since then, I won't get on a plane without at least 3 drinks!

I was doing some research on Zion National Park. Some of the hiking trails are ridiculous! I think one was called Angel's Landing. It looks to be about 4 feet wide and the deep canyon is below! As some of you know, I'm a photography junkie, so I'm way excited about some of the great photo op's that I'll have out there.
    That's my favorite hike of all time. Before you get too freaked out, on one of my trips I ran into a woman and her son at the top. They were celebrating her 70th birthday. My wife and I vowed to do the same on ours. The last half mile is somewhat of a scramble, and they have chains tethered to the rock for support if you need it. It's not particularly difficult, but it will freak you out some - especially if you are afraid of heights.

The other hike there that I really like a lot is the Narrows. It's a 17 mile all day hike, and in parts it is a very narrow slot canyon cut by the Virgin river. You probably can't go this time of year because the water level is likely too high. Rent neoprene boots for this one, and plan on spending about a third of the day in the river, because it's sheer 1000 foot rock walls on either side. Yeah, it's cold water, but you get used to it pretty quickly.

Narrows:

Angels Landing:

And pics never do them justice.

I think next year's vacation is starting to take shape here...Wow that's gorgeous.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy
    I think next year's vacation is starting to take shape here...Wow that's gorgeous.
    There is nothing like the expansivenss of Western skies.

I've been major busy with work stuff here but this area is absolutely beautiful. I can't wait until the weekend when I can get out and do some hiking.

Also, had a beer tonight called Polygamy Porter. Good stuff !!

? HOFer
    Angels Landing:

And pics never do them justice.
    That is what I want.

I've been major busy with work stuff here but this area is absolutely beautiful. I can't wait until the weekend when I can get out and do some hiking.

Also, had a beer tonight called Polygamy Porter. Good stuff !!
    GBRulz,

If while drinking your Polygame Porter, some guy walks up to you and coyly says, "I think you are just the woman for wife #5" you drop that beer and get the hell out of there!

The bars - err - 'social clubs' are pretty lame. You have to get a license to drink (membership) and the beer is only 3.2%. If you like mixed drinks, it's limited to like 3/4 of a shot.
    If you go to 200 West Center Street in Provo.......that's where the "across the border" bar dance scene in "Footloose" was filmed.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/icebowltickets.png

You could have gone to Moab, about 200 miles S/E and had a ball! EJS(Easter Jeepers Safari) was a blast ! Sites, Parties, Great Wheeling, Babes, Boobs, Awsume 4x4's. What more can a man ask for ? Big tires, Big boobs, Big rocks !
    NFCN Champs 2005 & 2006, NFC Champs 2006

"Some people go though life wondering if they have made a difference, ... Marines do not have that problem." - Ronald Regan

Quote Originally Posted by bearman
    Sites, Parties, Great Wheeling, Babes, Boobs, Awsume 4x4's. What more can a man ask for ? !
    How about asking for a membership to the Green Bay Packers Fan Club?

C'mon, Bearman! We all know you are a later Packers fan just waiting to shed your bearskin!