Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Tragedy at Virginia Tech

It actually kinda bugs me that people who have absolutely no connection to this thing and who would never in their lives even consider thinking about what this guy did are shouldering responsibility for it.

There's no reason for it. This was an isolated incident involving a very sick individual and no one should bear responsibility for it but him. (Makes me wanna go hug a Korean)
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

I agree with you Zig.

The South Koreans have been good friends and allies. They bear no collective responsibility for this young man's disturbed actions.

There are mosques around the world that preach hatred and jihad against the United States. That particular subculture of the Muslim faith does bear collective responsibility for attacks against us made in the name of Muhammed.

There was no such dynamic at work here. In fact, the things I have been reading about the young man suggest that he had rather serious mental health issues and had no agenda other than an amorphous rage that grew until he had this horrific psychotic break.

The apologetic sentiments from South Koreans and people of South Korean ancestry seemed very genuine to me and reflect the goodness of those people.
    But, as you say, Zig. This was certainly not something for which any South Korean bears any responsibility.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

The issue of gun control as it relates to this incident is likely to shift to the question of why the shooter was able to legally purchase guns even though he had been declared mentally ill in 2005. The way in which this country deals deals with mentally ill people is also likely to become an issue.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/18/vte...ing/index.html
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

This is gonna have an affect on the election.
    "I've got one word for you- Dallas, Texas, Super Bowl"- Jermichael Finley

It's becoming clear that Cho, Sueng-Hui was severely mentally ill and that he would have had trouble either in the U.S. or in Korea.

The truth is that he would have received more acceptance and had access to a stronger and better developed mental health system in the U.S. than he would have in Korea and theoretically received more help.

Another difficult reality is that he would not have had any access to guns in Korea to strike out at society as he did in the U.S.

The 2nd Amendment to the Constitution protects "the right of the people to keep and bear arms." This is a key liberty afforded to all Americans and should be protected. The difficulty with such freedoms is denying them to the criminal and the mentally ill. The tragedy in West Virginia should prompt a reexamination over how someone who had contact with the mental health system and had been considered capable of violence and "suicidal" could have legally acquired these weapons (if that's what he did).

Oh my gosh, I just saw the photos and stuff this guy sent to NBC News after the first killings and before the second deadly spree. They really inspire anger at this killer and his brazenness.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18169776

I'm afraid this is going to motivate some to retaliate against Koreans or other Asians in the U.S. I hate to say this but this is my prediction.

Another disturbing part of this is that this guy's photos will be downloaded and he will be idolized by other anti-social types.

Really bad news......

The US Health/Mental Health care system makes it as difficult as possible to get good care while we make it very easy to get the weapons we need to kill each other.

Just saw the video he sent to NBC on yahoo.com. This guy was one f*cked up kid.

He says "You just love crucifying me. You put cancer in my head, tortured my heart, and raped my soul..

He goes on to say, "I didn't have to do this, I could of ran. But I'm doing this for my children, my brothers, and all the innocents that you fucked."

He also says, "You thought I would be just one guy. Thanks to you, I die like Jesus Christ, to inspire a generation to fight back, the weak and defenseless.

This kid fancies himself as a martyr, dying to hope to inspire a generation of violence and bloodshed. Unfortunately, I think he will accomplish his goal. This will appeal to those who feel like him. Kids that have been ostracized and exiled from society. I pray this doesn't happen, but things like this don't go unnoticed.

Don't give the psycho that much credit. This is going to inspire anything. It may spawn a copycat or two--like other serial killers have. Other than that, he's just a crazy fuck. I don't think people are going to go after Asians or Asian-Americans. Might be an isolated incident here and there from people who were looking for something like this, but no more. The reaction from the Korean community may, in fact, help people realize what kind of people they are.

Quote Originally Posted by swede
    I agree with you Zig.

The South Koreans have been good friends and allies. They bear no collective responsibility for this young man's disturbed actions.

There are mosques around the world that preach hatred and jihad against the United States. That particular subculture of the Muslim faith does bear collective responsibility for attacks against us made in the name of Muhammed.

There was no such dynamic at work here. In fact, the things I have been reading about the young man suggest that he had rather serious mental health issues and had no agenda other than an amorphous rage that grew until he had this horrific psychotic break.

I agree with you and MJZiggy.

Cho's race and/or ancestry has nothing to do with this tragic incident. He was just one very deranged young man.

It is unfortunate the Korean-American community feels an obligation to apologize to the rest of the American society for this. Cho could have easily been Caucasion, African-American, Latino, or some other minority group member.

The apologetic sentiments from South Koreans and people of South Korean ancestry seemed very genuine to me and reflect the goodness of those people.
    But, as you say, Zig. This was certainly not something for which any South Korean bears any responsibility.

News has been pretty grim today. This is a better story.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...ional/America/

VIRGINIA TECH SHOOTINGS
    Cho Seung-Hui was a dark and demented student. Liviu Librescu survived the Holocaust and tyranny. They will be remembered for their final moments.
    THE HERO: 'He had no fear. Not in doing the right thing'

SONIA VERMA

Special to The Globe and Mail

JERUSALEM -- As a child, Liviu Librescu survived the Holocaust. As an adult, he escaped Romania's Communist rule.

But it was only in the last moments of his life that the Israeli professor was recognized as a hero, sacrificing himself to save his students -- using his body to block the door of his engineering classroom as Cho Seung-Hui tried to shoot his way inside.

"He showed that kind of bravery throughout his life, so it doesn't surprise me at all," his son, Joe Librescu, reflected.

"He had no fear. Not in doing the right thing, especially with regards to his work and his students," he said from his home in Ranana, a sleepy suburb of Tel Aviv.

Yesterday, the Librescu family was finalizing funeral arrangements for their 76-year old father, a mechanical engineering professor and well-regarded scientist who refused to retire after 20 years of teaching at Virginia Polytechnic Institute.

"He could never concede retirement. He loved his work too much. He was too passionate to quit," his son said.

Joe and his brother Araya spent yesterday morning sifting through e-mails sent from students of their father, painstakingly piecing together the final moments of his life.

It was 9 a.m. on Monday morning. Prof. Librescu was in his second-floor classroom in Virginia Tech's Norris Hall, launching into a lecture on solid mathematics.

A series of shots rang out from an adjoining classroom, followed by screams. Prof. Librescu rushed to the door and held it shut. His engineering students dived for cover behind their desks.

As the sound of gunfire drew closer, his students searched for a way out. Some climbed on desks, pulling down the window screens to kick out the glass, jumping three metres to the bushes below.

In a letter addressed to Prof. Librescu's wife Marlena, one student described how he climbed out the window, but paused on the ledge to look back.

"I saw your husband still standing there. He was holding the door closed and looking over his shoulder to make sure everybody else was safe. It was the bravest thing I have ever seen and I will always remember his courage," the student wrote.

Another simply wrote: "I think he saved my life."

Prof. Librescu was fatally shot, and died on his classroom floor. But by the time the gunman managed to get inside, most of his students had escaped to safety.

His sons described their father's final act of bravery as an honourable end to a courageous life.

Prof. Librescu was born and raised in Romania.

During the Second World War, his family was interned in Transnistria, at a labour camp set up by the Romanian government with the help of Nazi Germany to exterminate the Roma people and Jews.

Prof. Librescu was 10 at the time -- among 200,000 people crowded into crude barracks without running water, electricity or latrines. His family was later deported to a central ghetto in the city of Focsani.

"That experience helped shape his character.

"He saw people who gave their lives for others in difficult times. He knew what it meant to help others," said his son, Joe.

Mr. Librescu survived, and eventually married Marlena, another Holocaust survivor.

He studied in Bucharest, earning his doctorate and gaining a reputation as an accomplished scientist.

In 1978, the couple immigrated to Israel over objections from Romania's Communist regime. He was granted permission to leave only after Menachem Begin, the Israeli prime minister, personally appealed to Nicolae Ceaucescu, the Romanian president.

In 1984, he moved with his wife to Virginia for his sabbatical, and chose to stay.

But he returned to Israel frequently for family occasions and holidays.

Yesterday, his two sons who live here recalled their father's connection to the country.

"He always considered himself as an Israeli. He saw himself as an ambassador to the United States, but an Israeli at heart," Joe said.

His body will be flown to Israel for a family burial some time next week.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...ional/America/
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

it was just on the news...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/default.cdn...splaymode/1157

Here goes the violent video game thing...

I play that game "counter-strike"... I don't see myself doing any of this shit...

I think he was just extremely bullied / psychotic....

[quote="Joemailman"]News has been pretty grim today. This is a better story.

What selflessness.

With what this man endured to give himself up to save others epitomizes his true character.

A rare individual indeed.
    -digital dean

No "TROLLS" allowed!

[quote="digitaldean"]
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman
    News has been pretty grim today. This is a better story.

What selflessness.

With what this man endured to give himself up to save others epitomizes his true character.

A rare individual indeed.
    If I could get away with hearing nothing more of the sicko that did this and read only about these kinds of people, I'd like it a whole lot more. I don't want to know his name or see his pictures or hear his voice or read his writing or worry about what might have driven him. I feel for his family who must be crushed considering that total strangers are apologizing for what he did. I feel for the victims and their families. I'd love to hear their stories. Not his.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Senior Rat HOFer the_idle_threat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy
    If I could get away with hearing nothing more of the sicko that did this and read only about these kinds of people, I'd like it a whole lot more. I don't want to know his name or see his pictures or hear his voice or read his writing or worry about what might have driven him. I feel for his family who must be crushed considering that total strangers are apologizing for what he did. I feel for the victims and their families. I'd love to hear their stories. Not his.
    I agree completely.

Quote Originally Posted by BallHawk
    This is gonna have an affect on the election.
    At this point, it'll have ZERO effect on the election. Once this nutcase sent out his video, it became crystal clear to any American voter just what a nutcase he really is.

I have seen a few pictures of the whole video, but have turned the sound down... I just don't need to pollute my brain with this crap.

May he burn in hell.

After watching little portions of his videos you can see a passion and intensity to him. It makes me wonder what he could have achieved if he were to take that energy & put it towards something productive. Such a horrible waste of lives.

Quote Originally Posted by BallHawk
    Just saw the video he sent to NBC on yahoo.com. This guy was one f*cked up kid.

He says "You just love crucifying me. You put cancer in my head, tortured my heart, and raped my soul..

He goes on to say, "I didn't have to do this, I could of ran. But I'm doing this for my children, my brothers, and all the innocents that you fucked."

He also says, "You thought I would be just one guy. Thanks to you, I die like Jesus Christ, to inspire a generation to fight back, the weak and defenseless.
    I wonder what made him feel like he was "crucified" and "tortured." He certainly didn't die like Jesus. Jesus didn't killed 30 innocent people either in cold blood. He was definitely angry at wealthy people, and that makes me wonder if his parents didn't make much and growing up he resented and envied kids that had "things" that he didn't. It was this envy that turned to hatred and self pity that eventually built up into who he was in the months before he killed. It sure would've helped if someone could've counseled this deep rooted anger out of him.

I'm finding myself being somewhat fascinated by the videos. I'm very curious to see what makes a person like that snap....and I wanna make my own judgments about it, not have the talking heads at FOX, CNN, etc.... telling me how he became what he did.
    I'm guessing that some day all the videos and the transcript(s) will get either released, or leaked onto the web, and i'm sure i'll be all over that too.
    The Bottom Line:
    Formally Numb, same person, same views of M3