Thread: A-hole Judge sues cleaner for $65M over pants

Senior Rat HOFer the_idle_threat's Avatar
    $54 Million Pants Lawsuit Not Over Yet

$54 Million Pants Plaintiff to Ask Judge to Reconsider Ruling

Dry Cleaners Ask for $83,000 in Legal Fees

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=3352645

By SCOTT MICHELS
    July 6, 2007

The case of the $54 million pants continues.

The man who sued a Washington, D.C., dry cleaners for $54 million over a missing pair of pants plans to ask the judge who threw out his case to reconsider her ruling, the dry cleaners' lawyer said today.

Roy Pearson wrote to Christopher Manning, who is representing the Custom Cleaners dry cleaning shop, this week to alert him that he planned to ask Judge Judith Bartnoff to overturn her ruling, Manning said.

Bartnoff ruled last month that Pearson's lawsuit against Soo and Jin Chung, the Korean immigrants who own Custom Cleaners, had no merit, saying that he was "entitled to no relief whatsoever." Pearson had asked for $54 million because he said the Chungs had lost a pair of his prized trousers, despite signs that promised "Satisfaction Guaranteed."

Pearson plans to argue that Bartnoff failed to address his legal claims and will ask her to reverse her ruling, Manning said.

In correspondence this week, Manning asked Pearson to reconsider his appeal — and to move on. Pearson responded by saying he would continue to fight for the best interests of the public.

Calling the case a "multimillion-dollar nightmare," Manning filed court papers Thursday asking Bartnoff to force Pearson to pay nearly $83,000 in legal fees. Bartnoff has already ordered Pearson to pay the Chungs' court costs, which are about $5,000, Manning said.

The case, which lasted two years, gained national attention soon after the lawsuit was filed. Pearson, a former administrative law judge, drew fire not only from an outraged public, but from trial lawyers and tort reform advocates across the country.

A panel that selects Washington's administrative law judges is considering whether to reappoint Pearson to a 10-year term as a judge. [Editor's note: FUCK NO]

The American Tort Reform Association and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce are hosting a fundraiser for the Chungs July 24.

Surprise!!! This pissmop just doesn't wanna give it up. It figures he would appeal though, given that he's taken it this far and has nothing left to lose. His 15 min. window is closing rapidly.

Scumbag.
    "I've got one word for you- Dallas, Texas, Super Bowl"- Jermichael Finley

Quote Originally Posted by the_idle_threat
    $54 Million Pants Lawsuit Not Over Yet

Pearson plans to argue that Bartnoff failed to address his legal claims and will ask her to reverse her ruling, Manning said.
    What part of "you lost" doesn't this guy understand? I bet he will go to jail before he pays the Chungs anything.

It's unbelievable that this guy could have donned a robe and sat in judgment of others.

Quick update...

Pants Plaintiff Still Waits on Status as Judge

By Joe Holley
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Thursday, August 2, 2007; 10:22 AM

The Washington man who filed a $54 million lawsuit over a missing pair of pants must wait a few more days to find out whether he'll continue to serve as a D.C. administrative law judge.

Roy Pearson expected to learn his fate last night, after a judicial panel reviewing whether he should keep his job met for several hours. The three-judge panel did not reach a decision and is now expected to decide early next week.

Pearson, who has practiced law for 25 years, was appointed an administrative law judge in 2005. Administrative law judges are city employees who hear disputes between a government agency and individuals who have lodged complaints against the agency.

Meanwhile, a fundraiser last week for Pearson's adversaries in the missing pants case, Soo Chung and Jin Nam Chung, raised more than $60,000 toward their legal bills. An earlier appeal garnered more than $30,000 for the Chungs, owners of Custom Cleaners and Dry Cleaners in Northeast.

Although the total amount comes close to covering the family's legal expenses, Pearson is expected to file additional appeals. Superior Court Judge Judith Barnoff ruled six weeks ago that the Chungs did not owe Pearson anything.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

This went way past borderline ridiculous awhile ago.

They should put together a panel to decide the guys' mental status, and then check him in somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy
    Roy Pearson expected to learn his fate last night, after a judicial panel reviewing whether he should keep his job met for several hours. The three-judge panel did not reach a decision and is now expected to decide early next week.
    This should have been the shortest meeting in history. The answer is "No!"

This is a perfect example of two things:
    1. The entitlement mentality when it relates to government employment and benefits.
    2. The nauseating corruption of D.C.

Did he leave something. . . really important. . . in the pockets?
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Update: (copied from a Korean website)

Laundry Involved in Missing Pants Case Closes Shop

September 20, 2007 – 9:42 am

The Chungs who ran the laundry involved in the US$54 million missing pants lawsuit have decided to close shop.

The reason for the closing, according to their lawyer, are mental stress resulting from the lawsuit and declining revenues.

Although former judge Pearson never won the case in court, he did win in the end by driving the Chungs out of business. Not a good day for the little guy.

They should sue him for lost revenue. Buck up, Chungs. Hopefully there will be public outrage and people who own dry-cleanable clothes should all go to their shop.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Now it's done.

http://wtop.com/?sid=1275886&nid=25

Pants Judge to Lose Job
    October 23, 2007 - 8:26am
    judge roy pearson
    Roy Pearson has been under fire since he sued Custom Cleaners. (AP)
    WASHINGTON - The administrative law judge who lost a $54 million lawsuit against a D.C. dry cleaner is about to lose his job, The Washington Post reports.

A D.C. commission on Monday voted behind closed doors not to reappoint Pearson to the bench for another 10 years.

Sources tell the paper the decision isn't final until the panel sends Pearson a letter formally letting him know. That letter could go out early next week.

In making its decision the panel reviewed not only the lawsuit but also Pearson's work and temperament as a judge. He was appointed in 2005 to an initial two-year term.

The Chungs, who owned Custom Cleaners in Northeast, sold the business because of the revenue losses and emotional toll the family suffered as a result of the lawsuit.

Pearson, who originally sued for $67 million, lost his suit when a judge ruled that the Chungs did not violate the consumer protection law by failing to live up to Pearson's expectations of the "Satisfaction Guaranteed" sign once displayed in the store.

The Chungs, who found found Pearson's lost pair of pants, had offered to settle the case.

Not done yet...And there's THIS

http://www.wtopnews.com/?sid=1182539&nid=25

Cleaners Seek $83K From Judge
    July 6, 2007 - 4:24pm
    judge roy pearson
    Judge Roy Pearson's suit renewed calls for litigation reform. (AP)
    Neal Augenstein, WTOP Radio

WASHINGTON - Custom Cleaners wants the administrative law judge who lost his $54 million suit against the cleaners to pay their lawyers' fees -- $82,907.50.

Attorney Christopher C. S. Manning, who represents the Chung family, filed the Motion for Attorneys' Fees in D.C. Superior Court.

Manning says Roy L. Pearson's lawsuit was a perfect example of a bad faith, bizarre odyssey that should have been a very simple small claims court case. He says Pearson set out to destroy the lives of a hardworking immigrant family through outrageous litigation.

Manning writes that Pearson, an administrative law judge and attorney, "should have known better."

The court filing claims that Pearson, who originally sued for $67 million over a pair of pants, "consistently sought to harass and intimidate Defendants and unnecessarily drive up Defendants' litigation costs."

Court records show Pearson has not yet filed his motion to have the judge reconsider her ruling against him, and he's indicated he will appeal.

Last month Judge Judith Bartnoff ruled that the Chungs did not violate the consumer protection law by failing to live up to Pearson's expectations of the "Satisfaction Guaranteed" sign once displayed in the store.

Pearson, whose lost pants were found, had previously rejected several settlement offers, including one for $12,000.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Now it's done.
    I doubt it. What do you want to bet the judge will sue his employers for wrongful termination?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand
    Now it's done.
    I doubt it. What do you want to bet the judge will sue his employers for wrongful termination?
    Ouch! You're probably right.

I guess I'm naive but I thought that the Judge would have already been responsible for the Chungs legal fees.

Something is wrong when a nut can bring an off-the-wall lawsuit against someone and they are still out $83,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwon
    Now it's done.

I guess I'm naive but I thought that the Judge would have already been responsible for the Chungs legal fees.

Something is wrong when a nut can bring an off-the-wall lawsuit against someone and they are still out $83,000.
    How do you think the ALCU wins all those suits - most people can't afford to fight a legal battle, so they put the crucifiction in a drawer or storage shed.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwon
    Now it's done.

How do you think the ALCU wins all those suits - most people can't afford to fight a legal battle, so they put the crucifiction in a drawer or storage shed.
    ah, yes, wouldn't be a good day without rand getting in a dig at a "liberal" institution.

Your point, which is pretty much bs..as the aclu targets aren't for the most part small businesses, is the law of the land...if you are big and have money you can ride out a lawsuit. Pretty much standard tactics for any large corp battling a smaller company or individual.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Bigguns

Your point, which is pretty much bs..as the aclu targets aren't for the most part small businesses, is the law of the land...if you are big and have money you can ride out a lawsuit. Pretty much standard tactics for any large corp battling a smaller company or individual.
    Go look at the stats. The ACLU has won a huge number of suits based on the inability of the defendant to afford the costs. Businesses and hospitals likewise make financial decisions to hand out awards that are less expensive than the legal fees. The Lawyers know it's a game that they can win, just like the ACLU. I never said the ACLU targets businesses - that was your misread - so the B.S. you claim is of your own making - especially since you agree with me that the tactic is 'the law of the land.'

Here's a nice follow-up on this story.

Leave it to recent immigrants to remind native-born Americans of what the country should be like.

Watch the short video.

http://iamlawsuitabuse.org/stories/story.asp?s=43254