Thread: Brett Favre press conference now!!!

Brett Favre press conference now!!!

packers.com

12:30 ct

1:30 est (for me)

"never asked for a trade, dont know where it came from"

I predict the gist of the conference will be Brett's commitment to the Packers. He will dispel all these rumors about asking to be traded.

Highlights :

-Favre stand by "its the most talented team"

-JUST lack of experience...

-Seems very optimistic about upcoming season...

-Lack of execution lost them some games (named the rams,bills game)...

-He said he hasn't thrown a football since the last game of the season

-Wants proof from the media where he has said anything BAD about his team... (they couldn't give him any)

-Knows its near the end of his career, wants to win soon...

-Excited to see the new players in mini camp

- Talked to Mike Mccarthy who stated that he wanted to stick to the running game... Favre had a little disagreement
    (can you say another 600 att season?)

-Has a good relationship with T.T.

Quote Originally Posted by packers11
    -Has a good relationship with T.T.
    Really?

I would fully expect M3 to set a predetermined number of snaps for Favre and continue to make him play within a system. Favre needs that anyways. His days of playing with reckless abandon and winning the game are over.

I think Brett did a pretty good job of playing within the system last year. His INT's were 4th highest in the league, but he led the league in pass attempts. What Brett needs is more TE's going out for passes instead of staying in to block. Of course, it would help if they catch those passes.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Is there a link anywhere? There's one on packers.com, but it says 'please tune back during broadcast hours'
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness
    Is there a link anywhere? There's one on packers.com, but it says 'please tune back during broadcast hours'
    Here you go.........

http://www.packers.com/multimedia/audio/recent/

Here is a copy of what Favre said at the conference:

Favre explains himself as minicamp opens
    By RICHARD PUFALL
    rpufall@journalsentinel.com
    Posted: May 18, 2007
    Green Bay - A fog of concern had been hovering over the National Football League's smallest city, so Brett Favre showed up early to clear the air.

Packers/NFL

Photo/AP

Brett Favre explains his recent comments during a news conference Friday at the start of a three-day minicamp.

Listen to Favre's news conference

Packers Etc.
    '07 Schedule
    '07 Camp Dates
    '07 Roster
    '07 Depth Chart
    '07 Draft Picks
    '07 Cap Figures
    '06 Results
    '06 Statistics
    '06 Rookie Pay

NFL Draft Review
    Review the Green Bay Packers and the 2007 National Football League Draft in our draft section.
    GO TO SECTION
    NFL Basics
    Standings
    Statistics
    Scoreboard
    '07 Draft Order
    '07 Calendar
    '06 Draft Review
    Player index
    Team pages
    Injuries
    Movements

Packer Forum
    Got something to get off your chest? Voice your opinion and interact with other fans in our free Packer Forum.
    Go to Forum

Favre in Photos

Photo/Jeffrey Phelps

GALLERY: Browse more than 150 Brett Favre photos from 1992 to 2006

Advertisement

Buy a link here"I did want to clear up this trade issue," Favre said at 12:30 p.m. today at a hastily assembled news conference in the Lambeau Field Auditorium. "A non-issue as I call it. Never was a trade ever mentioned, requested. I just don't know where it came from. That's not true. ..."

Favre was referring to an Internet report stating he had requested that the Packers trade him because of the team's inability to acquire Randy Moss in a trade with the Oakland Raiders.

Moss was traded to the New England Patriots for a fourth-round draft choice.

"(Was I) frustrated at this point last week? Yeah?" Favre said just a couple hours before taking the field in the Don Hutson Center for Day 1 of Green Bay's three-day mandatory minicamp. "But I'm here and ready to move forward."

Favre said he had no problem with the direction of the Packers and added that he has a good working relationship with general manager Ted Thompson.

"I think I get over things fairly quickly," Favre said of the Moss issue. "I expressed how I felt. And it's over and done with. I had a good talk with Mike (head coach McCarthy) and Ted (Thompson, general manger) this week.

"You know we don't always agree - not just with Ted and Mike - but we are all that way. But we have a good working relationship. We're able to talk about things. Ultimately, it comes down to me wanting to play and help this team win.

"That's the one thing I can control. Being here, that's what I'm doing. I mean, the teammates I played with last year, the previous years are important to me. The team aspects are very important to me. I've always said that. I'd like to think that I'm not only a good teammate, but a great leader.

"And that's what it ultimately came down to. Agreeing with one' philosophy .... really doesn't matter. What matters is, I'm the quarterback for this team until they tell me different. I enjoy doing it. What's done is done. It's over with."

Favre said, that entering his 17th season, "I just really didn't want to come (to mini-camp)," which he called "kind of boring to be honest with you."

"But had I not shown up, it becomes an even bigger issue," Favre said.

Favre said his unhappiness with losing Moss to New England was not an indictment of the talent on the Packers' roster.

"We're fine," Favre said of his relationship with his teammates. "I don't know what they say when they go home. You show me where I said anything about the (talent of) the guys I play with. I want you to show me. Not once did I say anything about the guys I play with. I want proof that I said something about the guys I play with. Never did I say that."

More coverage of the Packers minicamp will appear online later tonight and in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel in the morning

He sure sounds a little defensive.

All I heard was WHAAAAAAA, ... WHaaaaaaaa, ... WHaaaaaaaaaaa !
    Crybaby farve.... GAWWWWWD is it gonna be great seeing him go down in flames again this year !
    NFCN Champs 2005 & 2006, NFC Champs 2006

"Some people go though life wondering if they have made a difference, ... Marines do not have that problem." - Ronald Regan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BEARMAN
    Crybaby Favre.... GAWWWWWD is it gonna be great seeing him go down in flames again this year !

IT'LL BE GREATER WATCHING REXY BLOW ANOTHER SEASON OF FANS WITH SOME EXPECTATIONS
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

AP story on his press conference:

Favre comes to minicamp, throws support behind team
    Fri, May 18, 2007
    By Associated Press

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Brett Favre slammed both hands on the podium, wanting to be clear: He never suggested he couldn't win with this current group of Packers.

The Green Bay quarterback was trying to defuse a week's worth of comments. And while he was frustrated the Packers did not trade for Randy Moss, Favre said during minicamp Friday this was no knock on his teammates.

''Not once did I say anything about the guys I play with,'' Favre said at a news conference. ''And I know that has been brought up, and I want proof that I said something about the guys I play with. Never did I say that.''

Favre's appearance came after a tumultuous week in which he publicly complained about the Packers' front office, deflected reports that his agent had asked the team for a trade and considered skipping this weekend's mandatory minicamp to help plan parties for his daughter's high school graduation next week.

The 37-year-old star is still recovering from offseason ankle surgery, and the team's medical staff most likely will limit his participation in the three-day camp, which ends Sunday.

Favre said he came to Green Bay to show his commitment to the Packers and clear the air about reports that he asked for a trade.

''I don't think anyone can question my leadership and determination to win, and that hasn't changed,'' Favre said. ''I know at times people want to do that. And had I not shown up, it becomes even a bigger issue.''

SportsInteraction.com has the Packers listed at +600 to win the NFC North this season.

After Favre criticized the front office during interviews at his charity golf tournament in Mississippi last Saturday, Fox Sports' Web site reported Sunday that his agent had asked for a trade when the team failed to complete a trade for Moss. The wide receiver was dealt from Oakland to New England during the NFL draft last month.

Favre and his agent spent this week issuing carefully worded denials that seemed to leave wiggle room. But Favre issued a stronger denial Friday, saying a trade was never mentioned or requested.

''I just don't know where it came from,'' he said. ''That's not true.''

Favre acknowledged that he has disagreed with decisions by the front office, but he said he has spoken with general manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy this week and wants to put all this behind. Favre said repeatedly he's ''fine'' with Thompson.

''I'm not here to judge the way he runs his team,'' Favre said. ''And I know that he's probably caught a lot of heat. Ted and I go way back, from Day One. He has a plan, that's what he's paid to do, I'm paid to lead this team on the field.''

Favre said he doesn't need to formally address his teammates.

''I'm not going to stand up in front of them,'' he said. ''I've seen a lot of the guys in passing, and I mean, we're fine. I don't know what they say when they go home. But you show me where I said anything about the guys I play with. I want you to show me.''

Favre reiterated that he thinks the Packers have plenty of young talent. He recalled that he was ridiculed before last season when he said the 2006 Packers might be the most talented team he ever played on.

''You thought I was crazy,'' he said.

Still, Favre says there's plenty of room for improvement.

''We have to get better,'' he said. ''We have to get better in a hurry.''

He also knows he doesn't have many seasons left.

''What has been said and done once again is over, and I think the best way to do that is to move forward,'' he said. ''And there's no hard feelings. I want to win, regardless of who's on this team or not on this team. And hopefully, we're all in this together.''

Crybaby Favre.... GAWWWWWD is it gonna be great seeing him go down in flames again this year !
    Surely you have somewhere else to play.

Tears

You should be an expert on crying after that choke job by your team in the big game. Do us all a favor and come back when your team actually accomplishes something important........

Brett is a coach's son. He is and always will be a team-first guy.

By the way, an unnamed source says that he's a nice person.

All I heard was WHAAAAAAA, ... WHaaaaaaaa, ... WHaaaaaaaaaaa!

That's what happens when Girlacher wins the Super Bowl.

Oh wait, Girlacher LOST the Super Bowl.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/icebowltickets.png

Packers really needed Favre to be present

By Mike Vandermause

Brett Favre despises minicamps.

He's been attending them for 17 years and finds them boring.

All that standing around gets tedious. The meetings seem endless. And when you finally hit the field, it's hard to get enthused about a bunch of players running around in shorts inside the Don Hutson Center with the regular-season opener nearly four months away.

But the Green Bay Packers' mandatory minicamp that opened Friday and continues through Sunday is different. In fact, no minicamp in Favre's long career has been as important as this one.

Favre's presence in Green Bay absolutely is critical to the success and direction of the team following a tumultuous week.

The veteran quarterback lashed out at the organization a week ago for failing to trade for receiver Randy Moss and said it was hard to be optimistic about the offense. Then, he announced he wasn't planning to attend this minicamp.

Favre would have sent a disastrous message to his teammates by not showing up. He would have come off looking self-centered and egotistical. Instead, he patched up his differences with the front office and did the right thing by coming to town and rallying around the team.

"Ultimately, it comes down to me wanting to play and help this team win," he said. "That's the one thing I can control. By being here, that's what I'm doing."

Favre had every right to question General Manager Ted Thompson's failure to address some pressing needs on offense. No one wants to win more than Favre, and he expressed his frustration.

But now he's moving forward, and it started with his presence in the locker room and on the practice field.

"He's here, so that shows a lot," said second-year receiver Greg Jennings. "He's not giving up on us. He's not quitting on us."

Jennings went so far as to call Favre a great leader.

"He wouldn't be here if he didn't want to win," Jennings said. "Brett's going to be Brett, and I love him the way he is. Regardless of the comments he made, I still want him to be my quarterback."

If any player took offense to Favre's biting comments last weekend, it wasn't evident. There was no need to mend fences or massage any bruised feelings. Packers coach Mike McCarthy called it a "non-issue."

If anything, Favre's words served notice that the time to win in Green Bay starts now. If any player can't accept that challenge, maybe he should find somewhere else to work.

"Brett's been here 17 years, what he says kind of goes," said second-year guard Daryn Colledge. "If he feels that's the way it is, then I think everybody in the locker room wants to pick it up and prove that they're the guys that can get the job done."

No one seemed happier than McCarthy about the conclusion to a rocky week. "It's important any time you have the leader, the quarterback of your football team here," he said. "I'm just glad the firestorm is over. (I'm) glad to put away the hose."

Favre maintained his overriding desire is to see the Packers succeed on the field.

"I don't think anyone can question my leadership and determination to win, and that hasn't changed," he said.

Those attributes seriously would have been questioned, however, had Favre been a no-show this weekend.

I thought Jennings' comments were interesting. Although he is fine with Brett now, I get the sense that Favre's comments about not getting Moss stung Jennings a little bit. If Favre had not shown up for minicamp, what a medie circus this would be. They'd still be dealing with rumors that Brett wants to be traded.

Quote Originally Posted by LL2
    He sure sounds a little defensive.
    I believe he was HONEST !!
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau