10 19.61%
  • FIRE THE GM WANNA BE

10 19.61%
  • OTHER: EXPLAIN

13 25.49%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: GM TT PERFORMANCE REVIEW/OFFICIAL FAVRE WATCH

GM TT PERFORMANCE REVIEW/OFFICIAL FAVRE WATCH

AFTER 2007 OFFSEASON MOVES, DRAFT REVIEWS & FAVRE'S REVELATIONS, IT'S TIME FOR PRESEASON TT SATISFACTION SURVEY. I WILL PROVIDE COMPARATIVE POLLS FROM OTHER SITES. FANS, YOU DECIDE!

1. FAVRE'S PUBLIC DISSATISFACTIONS.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/

There are a couple of articles at PackersNews and the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel about QB Brett Favre's comments regarding WR Randy Moss. Tom Silverstein reported that the Packers had worked out a deal that would have cost a 5th round pick and a guaranteed $3 million contract for Moss. If that deal could have been made, then the Packers should have made it, but New England came in with a high 4th round that was originally San Francisco's pick for Moss. The Packers 4th round pick was lower, so they would have had to offer a 3rd round pick. Giving up a 3rd round pick for Moss would have been a problem because if he had worked out, it was only a one year contract and the Packers would have to give him a bigger contract to keep him if he wanted to stay at all. If he hadn't worked out, then a 3rd round pick was wasted on a one year bust. Either way it would have been harder to part with a 3rd round pick in that scenario than only a 5th round pick.
    Maybe Moss is done. He is about to turn 30 years old and maybe the last three down seasons isn't a case of a great player in a bad situation but a player in decline. GM Ted Thompson won't let anyone know his opinion of Moss because he can't talk about players on other teams. Done or not done is only speculation and we won't know until the end of 2007. But I'm really not interested in the alternate Moss scenarios. What really got my attention about Favre's comments is his relationship with Packers management. Here is what Favre said: "I just want to win; maybe I see things the wrong way. I don't want to ruffle any feathers and I want people to respect me. Sometimes I think it's hard for them to let Brett go. They might think that we pay him a lot of money, but he still gives us the best chance to win. I've never been told that, but there are times when I wonder if I'm the odd man out here and they just don't know how to tell me."
    It has seemed obvious that Thompson wanted to tear the Packers down and rebuild with his own coaches and players since the end of 2005. That might be good for some teams, but the Packers had just won three consecutive division titles before Thompson walked in the door. In 2005 he let three very important players walk away (LG Mike Wahle, RG Marco Rivera, and FS Darren Sharper), then the Packers best player from 2004 is lost for the season (WR Javon Walker), then RB Ahman Green is injured for most of the season, and all the free agents Thompson signed were busts. Every team in the NFL has to deal with free agency and injuries, but few teams have bled that much talent that quickly. Mike Sherman is made the scapegoat and Thompson won't even be honest with him and uses the old "we needed to go in a different direction" line. Thompson didn't want his predecessor hanging around Green Bay and he wanted to bring in his own guy. He had drafted Favre's replacement in QB Aaron Rodgers, so now is the time to start completely clean and let Favre retire. He can't release or trade Favre because Thompson's career in Green Bay would be on borrowed time if it looks like he shoved Favre out. Instead he hires a rookie head coach who wasn't a successful offensive coordinator and sets Favre up with a rookie offensive line. Favre probably shocked Thompson when he announced he wasn't retiring after 2005.
    Favre is the odd man out and Thompson wants him to retire, but he can't force him to do it. Thompson did make up for his awful 2005 season by doing very well in the 2006 draft and free agency, but 2007 resembles 2005 because he has let veterans go, he didn't sign anyone in free agency, and he reached for some draft choices. Maybe Thompson is better at making decisions than Favre and maybe what has been done over the last three free agency periods and in the draft are the best long-term decisions, but his decisions have really hurt the Packers ability to compete over the previous two seasons. He should be honest with everyone and it doesn't seem like he is honest with anyone

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

http:www.profootballtalk.com

PACKERS SCRAMBLE TO DOUSE FLAMING FANS

At a time when wildfires have been raging in several corners of the nation, there's a conflagration that currently is consuming Packer nation. And the front office knows it. Why else would the team put out an "all is well" press release on Mother's Day? "We are optimistic about the 2007 season," Thompson said in the team-issued Sunday statement. "We feel like we've had a great offseason program -- our guys are getting bigger and stronger -- and we'll improve from within. We're also excited about the players we've added through the draft and what those players will bring to our team."
    Thompson also addressed the recent comments of quarterback Brett Favre, who expressed dissatisfaction about the team's failure to land Randy Moss. "I think it's natural for a player to be frustrated from time to time -- that's simply being human," said Thompson. "Everyone knows that Brett Favre is all about winning. As an organization, we share that commitment. And we want to win now." And Thompson provided a carefully-crafted non-answer to the question of whether, as Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com reported earlier in the day, Favre has asked for a trade. "We never comment on the talks we have with our players or with their agents, in line with the long-standing policy of our organization. We try to encourage open and honest dialogue with players and their agents. But if those talks later are shared with third parties, the willingness of players to be open in future conversations may be compromised."
    Possible translation: "Yes, but because Brett currently has a literal and figurative hold on the nutsack of the front office, we don't want to take any chances that he might decide to squeeze even harder than he already has."
    In our view, this Mother's Day missive is a desperate act from an organization that is facing a revolt from its fan base. And we're even more convinced that either Favre or Thompson will be not with the team come September. Given that the franchise is publicly owned, we wouldn't be surprised if someone were to file a shareholder's action aimed at forcing the team to have the same kind of accountability that would exist if there was a real owner calling the shots. For his part, Favre is trying to help put out the fire. The post on his official site regarding rumors of Favre wanting a trade, which were confirmed by board administrator "DavidPHX," has been deleted. And DavidPHX has posted the following message: "Brett has asked that we all tone down the articles and any dislikes for management. He does not want his site to fuel rumors. Ted Thompson is his boss and we need to tone everything down. I believe the situation is over with. Brett vented said what he wanted and I believe management has heard. Brett loves the Green Bay Packers and has always felt we have the best fans in the WORLD . I expect Brett to return as the starting QB for the Green Bay Packers on September 9. Go Packers!"
    Still, Favre is the one who has started this mess, both by privately asking to be traded and by publicly making his displeasure known. It's a storm of unprecedented proportion for the Packers, and we don't think the situation is going to get better any time soon. The only person to benefit from this brouhaha might be receiver Keyshawn Johnson, who could end up getting a lucrative offer to join the team in light of the fact that he's the only potential impact player who is on the market right now.
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

http://packers.aolsportsblog.com/

Brett Favre Asked Packers to Trade Him

I wish I could tell you I'm joking, but I'm not. Brett Favre, the biggest name in Green Bay sports, had asked the team to trade him two or three days after the NFL Draft. Favre, who is currently at home and does not plan on attending mandatory minicamp, has not hidden his disappointment with the Packers this offseason. He's been specifically vocal and upset over the Packers inability to land Randy Moss, who eventually went to the New England Patriots for a fourth-round draft choice. "I don't know if I've lost faith, and I think everyone in the organization wants to win. I just don't know if it includes me. If it's going to be five years from now, I'm not going to be here. This is 17 years for me and I want to win," Favre said in an exclusive interview with Biloxi Sun Herald. This all seems like a bit of a nightmare. Is there such a thing as Brett Favre without the Green Bay Packers? Is there such a thing as the Green Bay Packers without Brett Favre? Well, if he gets his wish there certainly will be. I'm sure the Packers will do everything they can to make this blow over, but things sure have gone South in a hurry.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6805790?MSNHPHMA

Favre asked to be traded

The man who may have the biggest name in Green Bay sports history has asked to be traded. Several Packers and league sources have told FOXSports.com that Brett Favre has requested a trade. Several Packers and league sources have told FOXSports.com that Brett Favre's agent Bus Cook phoned Green Bay's general manager Ted Thompson within two to three days of the draft and asked for a trade. The sources said that Cook railed off how his client was fed up with the organization and wanted out. The shocking request appeared directly related to the team's inability to trade for WR Randy Moss. The news was then relayed to head coach Mike McCarthy, who immediately phoned the Super Bowl winning quarterback to squash his anger. However, the quarterback ignored all his calls for a week, perhaps showing the team how upset he was this time.
    Finally, in the middle of this past week the two finally connected. Sources close to the situation said Favre asked McCarthy if he was aware that Cook asked for a trade but McCarthy immediately insisted that would not happen. McCarthy told others inside the organization it appeared the team's head coach had cooled Favre's anger and by the end of the conversation admitted he didn't want to go elsewhere. However, at the same time he has told friends on other teams as well how frustrated he is with the organization's inability to land the former Pro Bowl wideout and that he, in fact, wanted out. Several calls this morning to McCarthy and Thompson by FOXSports.com have not yet been returned. On Saturday, Favre railed against the team in an interview with his local Biloxi Sun Herald....

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________

http://packers.scout.com/

Favre sounds off. Quarterback steamed that Packers failed to strike deal Moss.

Brett Favre confirmed Saturday that he indeed was lobbying for the Green Bay Packers to trade for veteran wide receiver Randy Moss. For months, there was widespread speculation that Favre was trying to encourage the Packers to trade for Moss. On Saturday, Favre voiced his disapproval of how Green Bay let Moss slip away to New England during the NFL draft weekend.
    “It is disappointing,” Favre told Al Jones of the Biloxi (Miss.) Sun Herald during his annual celebrity golf tournament in Tunica, Miss. “It was a done deal and the stories of how we lost him because he didn’t want to restructure his contract were not true. “He was going to wipe his contract clean and sign for $3 million guaranteed, plus a fourth-round draft pick. That would have been a steal. But we were not willing to guarantee part of that $3 million. I even had (agent) Bus (Cook) call up there and tell them I would give up part of my salary to guarantee that part of the money. Apparently that wasn’t enough, either.” Favre, who is not expected to participate in next weekend’s mandatory minicamp because of off-season ankle surgery, said he knew his comments might irritate the Packers. “This is a first-class organization that wants to win. I want to win now,” he told Jones. “I just want to win...."

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Offense? What offense?

PackerReport.com's Doug Ritchay explains why the Green Bay Packers will struggle to score points this season after missing the boat early in the NFL draft to add firepower for Brett Favre.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

http://packers.aolsportsblog.com/

Brett Favre Says Randy Moss 'Wanted to Play in Green Bay

Green Bay quarterback Brett Favre expressed disappointment Saturday that the Packers missed out on acquiring Randy Moss, instead letting the Patriots get him in a trade with the Raiders -- even though Favre says Moss wanted to play for the Packers. "I know what we could have signed him for," Favre told Memphis television station WMC-TV at his annual charity golf tournament Saturday in Tunica, Miss. "We could have gotten him for less money than New England did. He wanted to play in Green Bay for the amount of money we could have paid him. It (was) well worth the risk." Favre added that he thinks Moss would have been a great addition to the Packers. It was the first time Favre has acknowledged publicly what many observers suspected, which is that he was strongly in favor of acquiring Moss to give the Packers one last chance at being a contender during Favre's career. When Favre decided to return for another season in Green Bay, he said he thought the team was on the right track, but his latest comments indicate that he questions the management's commitment to winning.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.../70512050/1989

Favre: Packers wouldn't pay Moss

Veteran quarterback Brett Favre isn’t happy that the Green Bay Packers didn’t trade for Oakland receiver Randy Moss, and he bluntly said so on Saturday. “It is disappointing,” Favre told Al Jones of the Biloxi (Miss.) Sun Herald during his annual celebrity golf tournament in Tunica, Miss. “It was a done deal and the stories of how we lost him because he didn’t want to restructure his contract were not true. “He was going to wipe his contract clean and sign for $3 million guaranteed, plus a fourth-round draft pick. That would have been a steal. But we were not willing to guarantee part of that $3 million. I even had (agent) Bus (Cook) call up there and tell them I would give up part of my salary to guarantee that part of the money. Apparently that wasn’t enough, either.”
    Favre conceded he knew his comments would raise eyebrows. “This is a first-class organization that wants to win. I want to win now,” he told Jones. “I just want to win; maybe I see things the wrong way. I don’t want to ruffle any feathers and I want people to respect me. Sometimes I think it’s hard for them to let Brett go. They might think that we pay him a lot of money, but he still gives us the best chance to win. I’ve never been told that, but there are times when I wonder if I’m the odd man out here and they just don’t know how to tell me."
    Favre, 37, knows time in running out on his NFL career. “Our offense struggled last season. If it were not for our defense, we would not have won eight games. Right now, it’s hard to be optimistic," he told Jones. "I’m not getting any younger and I think everyone knows that. I don’t have five years to rebuild. No one in Green Bay is saying rebuild, but it’s hard to look at where we are going and say, ‘How can they not be rebuilding?" “I don’t know if I’ve lost faith, and I think everyone in the organization wants to win. I just don’t know if it includes me. If it’s going to be five years from now, I’m not going to be here. This is 17 years for me and I want to win.”
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/spor...34018&ntpid=2\

Packers: Favre sounds off on missing Moss

Brett Favre is convinced the Green Bay Packers could have had controversial wide receiver Randy Moss, and while Favre chose his words somewhat carefully Saturday, the quarterback sounded more than a little unhappy with the club for not making it happen. Moss was traded from the Oakland Raiders to the New England Patriots in exchange for a fourth-round pick April 29, the second day of the NFL draft. The Packers also talked extensively with the Raiders - and with Moss' agent about a restructured contract - but general manager Ted Thompson was unwilling to part with more than a fifth-round pick.
    Speaking at his annual charity golf tournament in Tunica, Miss., Favre told WMC-TV, the NBC affiliate in Memphis, Tenn., the Packers could have had Moss for less than the one-year, $3 million deal he signed with the Patriots. Moss can make $2 million more in incentives. When asked by the reporter if he thought it was a good move by the Packers not to trade for Moss, Favre replied, "No." Then Favre, who reportedly tried to recruit Moss to Green Bay during the drawn-out trade talks that began in February at the NFL scouting combine, added: "I think we could have signed Randy Moss, (and) I know what we could have signed him for. We could have gotten him for less money than New England did. He wanted to play in Green Bay for the amount of money we could have paid him. "It is disappointing. It was a done deal and the stories of how we lost him because he didn't want to restructure his contract were not true. "He was going to wipe his contract clean and sign for $3 million guaranteed, plus a fourth-round draft pick. That would have been a steal. But we were not willing to guarantee part of that $3 million. I even had (agent) Bus (Cook) call up there and tell them I would give up part of my salary to guarantee that part of the money. Apparently that wasn't enough, either. "You throw Randy Moss, you throw Donald Driver and you throw Greg Jennings on the field at the same time, and go (with a) three-wide receiver set, I think it's pretty intimidating. "We lost out on that, and it's a shame because I know we could have had him."
    Packers pro personnel director Reggie McKenzie said the day after the draft reports that Moss chose the Patriots over the Packers were inaccurate, and that it was Raiders owner Al Davis' decision to send Moss to the Patriots. Moss had career lows in receptions (42), yards (553) and touchdowns (three) last season for the 2-14 Raiders last season. "I just want to win; maybe I see things the wrong way," Favre said. "This is a first-class organization that wants to win. I want to win now. "Our offense struggled last season. If it were not for our defense, we would not have won eight games. Right now, it's hard to be optimistic. I'm not getting any younger and I think everyone knows that. I don't have five years to rebuild. No one in Green Bay is saying rebuild but it's hard to look at where we are going and say, 'How can they not be rebuilding?' "It was well worth the risk."

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

2. DRAFT REVIEWS: Draft gurus generally panned Green Bay's draft, ranking it from a B-minus to a D.

http://www.warroomdraftguide.com/bls...view.php?id=14

Let us start by a listing few things that didn't happen. When the Packers traded down in round two and received an additional third round pick, I thought the Moss trade was a done deal. I had made those aware participating on Chatters draft day chat an hour or more before the Packers second round pick to watch for this scenario. When the trade was finally made, I thought it was being done to garner an addition pick for the Moss trade. When the trade didn't happen even after the move down in round two, I wasn't shocked but I was suprised.
    We can get into why or why not a trade wasn't made, but the bottom line is the Packers could have Moss if they desired and they chose not to pull the trigger. If Moss plays like the Moss of old, the decision to bypass on a deal by Ted Thompson will go down as an enormous blunder. There are other ways to improve your team than 95% draft and 5% everything else.
    Why didn't the Packers enter the Darrell Jackson sweepstakes? Moss goes for a fourth round pick as does Jackson and the Packers don't get either player? We are not talking about a series of picks or a first or second rounder here, we are talking about a fourth round pick! A team in desperate need of wideout help ends up with James Jones, Aaron Rouse and Allen Barbre when you could take anyone of these players out of the equation and insert Randy Moss and or Darrell Jackson. Now tell me the Packers wouldn't be significantly better off with Moss or Jackson on the roster than one of these draftees? I am not trying to downgrade any of these young men, but Moss or Jackson would have made the Packers better and much sooner. There are other ways to improve your team than 95% draft and 5% everything else.
    How about a trade down from 16? The fact of the matter is Thompson had numerous suitors for this pick and he could have acquired at the very least a swap of first round picks along with a second and third or fourth to move down in round one. Thompson could have also pulled the trigger with the Browns and acquired a pick or two in this years draft and a 2008 first round selection because of the Browns interest in QB Brady Quinn. All this tells me is Thompson must think the world of his eventual first round selection DT Justin Harrell. Turning down a 2008 first round pick which will in all likely hood be a top 10 - 15 selection or better along with an additional pick or two in the 2007 draft to hold on to the number 16 pick in the 2007 draft to select almost any player that was available at the time was ludicrous. Watch the Cowboys first round selection in 2008 obtained in the deal with the Browns because it could have been and should have been the Packers pick.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&...%2f642293.html

Sydney Speaks! Favre a gun with no bullets By Harry Sydney

PackerReport.com’s Harry Sydney has digested the Packers Class of 2007 for the past week. While Sydney lauds general manager Ted Thompson for thinking long-term and building a solid foundation through recent drafts, he feels there is still a big-time need for more playmakers.
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs...705070421/1959

Mike Vandermause column: With no key additions on offense, who will score? By Mike Vandermause

The regular season is four months away, so perhaps it's too soon to begin targeting the Green Bay Packers' potential problems. Who can say what hidden roster gem might emerge and make a major impact? But staring at the upcoming season from a distance, there's one nagging issue that can't be ignored. Assuming no significant free agents are signed, a giant question mark looms over the Packers' offense. This is a team that finished in the bottom third of the NFL in scoring last year and froze in the red zone. This is a team that lost featured running back Ahman Green. This is a team that signed no free agents on the offensive side of the ball.
    How are the Packers going to score this season? If they ranked near the bottom of the league last year, what's going to change in 2007 with quarterback Brett Favre a year older and no experienced workhorse ready to replace Green? It's possible the Packers will become a spinoff of the Chicago Bears, in which they rely on a dominant defense and happily accept whatever production they can muster out of the offense. It's not the worst way to go, especially if you believe defense wins championships. Ted Thompson, for one, isn't sounding the alarms over a lack of talent on offense. "I think we have a pretty decent group of guys here," the Packers' general manager said of the offense after last weekend's draft. "As a team, I think the best way, the most consistent way, to get better is to get better from within. Our own guys have to try to keep getting better."
    That seems to indicate no significant upgrades to the roster will be forthcoming. If the Packers improve on offense, they must do it with the talent on hand. Last year's rookie linemen — Daryn Colledge, Tony Moll and Jason Spitz — are bound to get better, as will promising receiver Greg Jennings. Does coach Mike McCarthy have enough talent to make the offense flourish? Or will the Packers be forced to scratch and claw for every touchdown? "I am never one to complain about who's not here," McCarthy said Sunday following the team's rookie orientation camp. "My focus has always been on who's here." It appears the Packers will use a running-back-by-committee approach that includes holdover Vernand Morency and rookie Brandon Jackson. "The role Ahman played and the job he did is going to have to be shared by some people," Thompson said. "I think it's going to be more of a group effort." That might be the Packers' best and only option, since Jackson never started a full season in college and Morency has been strictly a change-of-pace back in the NFL. History indicates rookie wide receivers typically aren't difference-makers, meaning big things shouldn't be expected of third-round draft choice James Jones or fifth-rounder David Clowney.
    With the possible exception of Jackson, the rookie contributions shouldn't matter too much if McCarthy's theory about last year's offensive struggles is correct. "We didn't at the end of the day say, 'Well, we just don't have enough playmakers,'" McCarthy said. "We have players here that we need to put in position to be successful. If we do that and everybody does their job, we'll be more productive." Whether that's a realistic possibility or wishful thinking remains to be seen. __________________________________________________ ____________________________________

http://www.madison.com/tct/sports/pa...131974&ntpid=2

Mike Lucas: Packers, Thompson show no sense of urgency By Mike Lucas

The Green Bay Packers could do everyone a favor by signing Keyshawn Johnson to a contract. If nothing else, it would keep him off the air. The loquacious Johnson -- whose autobiography was aptly titled "Just Give Me the Damn Ball" -- was part of ESPN's marathon coverage last weekend of the National Football League draft. Johnson, the TV analyst, actually showed more potential than the insufferable Shannon Sharpe, who already has a steady CBS gig. Johnson might even be passable if he could keep himself out of the conversation occasionally. But, in his own third person world, that would be asking Keyshawn to do more than Keyshawn is willing to do.
    What are the Packers willing to do to help the offense and Brett Favre? Not much, according to the national pundits, who have been critical of Ted Thompson and the way the passive Green Bay general manager has been avoiding Favre and his needs. Thompson came under attack Tuesday on ESPN's sitcom, Pardon the Interruption, during which it was reported that Thompson was unwilling to offer a fourth-round draft choice to the Oakland Raiders in exchange for Randy Moss. The suggestion was that Thompson was playing hardball with the Raiders (and maybe Favre) and really not that interested in acquiring Moss. Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson has showed no signs of wanting to upgrade his team quickly, instead he seems to be building for the future.
    At least not at that price. At THAT price? We are talking about a fourth-round draft choice, which is what New England dealt to Oakland as part of the deal. There was also the matter of restructured contracts, whether it was Moss or quarterback Tom Brady taking less to make it work. Pardon the interruption here, but it was implied that the Packers just didn't work hard enough to make it work. Especially if the reports are true, and Thompson didn't think Moss was worth a fourth-round draft choice. Heck, Mike Sherman burned a third-round pick on a punter. But Moss didn't have the same value as an unproven fourth-rounder? Get serious. There were other instances last weekend where Thompson may have been guilty of an Ahman Green -- "dropping the ball" -- in the draft. As it is, he has yet to replace Green, adding to the ongoing mystery surrounding the relationship between Thompson and Favre. Do they have a relationship? Do they communicate about team needs? Not Favre's needs, but team needs. Offensively, the Packers need better skill position players. Not to extend Favre's career or appease Favre. But to move the ball, and the chains. How about appeasing the offense?
    The NFL draft is akin to college recruiting. And there will be no attempt here to determine whether the Packers had a good draft or a bad draft. That will play out in time. But there is a growing perception nationally that Thompson and Favre are not on the same page. And maybe never have been. That can be traced to Thompson using a first-round pick on a quarterback, Aaron Rodgers, in his first draft with the Packers. How is Rodgers working out? Nobody knows, of course, which may be more of an indictment than endorsement of Thompson's selection. Right now, the general impression is that Thompson has little or no sense of urgency when it comes to Favre and whatever window is left for the Packers and Favre. And that comes off as self-defeating, if not selfish. You want selfish? Sign Keyshawn, a slow, possession receiver, who doesn't mind getting physical as a downfield blocker for the running game. Johnson will be 35 in July. Favre will be 38 in October, making for a potential odd and very old couple. Thompson wouldn't even have to part with a precious fourth-round draft choice to make this work, at whatever price.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/colu...132228&ntpid=2

Oates: Packers' draft still hot topic TOM OATES

For fans and critics, it has become the draft that won't go away. No matter how much they try to forget about the Green Bay Packers' performance in last weekend's NFL draft, people can't let it go. It seems everyone has a strong opinion on general manager Ted Thompson, though those opinions are deeply divided. Some wanted Thompson to trade for wide receiver Randy Moss, some were violently opposed to it. Some wanted him to draft an offensive playmaker in the first round, some wanted him to take the best available player. Some wanted him to trade up for a halfback, some wanted him to trade down and gather additional picks.
    The only thing people seem to agree on is that quarterback Brett Favre must be seething as he sits on his tractor in Mississippi and wonders why Thompson went a third straight year without adding a sure-fire playmaker to the offense. Some think Favre should sue for non-support. Some think he should have called Thompson and retired on the spot. But with all due respect to Favre, the greatest player in Packers history, it doesn't really matter what he thinks. It's not Thompson's job to make sure Favre is happy with every decision. It is, however, his job to maximize Favre's ability in the final years of his career.
    Thompson fell down on the job again last weekend, but not because he didn't placate Favre. It was because he didn't give Favre the means to be fully productive at his age and diminished skill level. That affects the entire team, not just Favre. Despite his timid approach to building a team, Thompson has done some good things in Green Bay. With a whopping 34 draft picks in three years, he has fortified a roster depleted by Mike Sherman's mismanagement of the draft. The one thing Thompson has failed to do, however, is add game-breakers to a sluggish offense. Indeed, it has become increasingly apparent that Thompson is reading out of a 10-year-old playbook, one written by his mentor, former general manager Ron Wolf.
    During the Packers' Super Bowl years, Wolf spent his money elsewhere and handed Favre mid-round draft picks at the skill positions. In 1996 and '97, Edgar Bennett (fourth round) and Dorsey Levens (fifth) were the halfbacks, Robert Brooks (third) and Antonio Freeman (third) were the wide receivers and Mark Chmura (sixth) was the tight end. All of those players were good, but none was truly special. The Packers got away with it because Favre was such a dominant playmaker himself. At 37, Favre simply isn't the playmaker he once was. Yet, Thompson is still trying to surround him with good but not great skill players. He doesn't seem to understand that Favre needs more help than he once did.
    By refusing Saturday to trade for Cleveland's first-round pick in 2008, Thompson showed he wants to win now. That's why it's curious that he didn't give Favre more help. If Favre is going to be the quarterback, why not give him the weapons he needs at this point in his career? Wolf has said often that his biggest regret is not putting enough weapons around Favre during his prime. Thompson is doing the same thing at a time when Favre needs them more than ever.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/spor...131568&ntpid=3

Oates: Offense passed over again TOM OATES

At least we know who's not running the draft for the Green Bay Packers. It's not quarterback Brett Favre, that's for sure. Nor is it the suddenly vocal Packers fans. If it was, the Packers would have spent their first-round pick in Saturday's NFL draft on a wide receiver or a tight end or some other player who could provide a booster shot for an offense that has been woefully short of playmakers for the past two seasons. But if Packers general manager Ted Thompson had any inclination to throw Favre a bone in the final years of his storied career, it hasn't been evident on draft day. For the third time in three years, Thompson ignored the needs of the team's offense and the wishes of its fans with his first-round pick, which he used on oft-injured Tennessee defensive tackle Justin Harrell.
    In doing so, Thompson passed on several pass-catchers - tight end Greg Olsen of Miami (Fla.) and wide receivers Robert Meachem of Tennessee and Dwayne Bowe of LSU - who might have given the anemic offense an immediate lift. Drafting 16th overall, Thompson also bypassed several chances to trade down and accumulate picks even though he probably could have dropped five to 10 spots and still landed Harrell, considered by Thompson and others a top-10 talent were it not for his long injury history. Trading down and losing Harrell wasn't a risk Thompson was willing to take, even if it meant he was booed by offense-hungry fans gathered in the Lambeau Field atrium. Thompson wanted Harrell even though defensive tackle ranked sixth or seventh on a list of team needs for the 2007 season. "We don't draft based on needs," he said. "I know that's boring, and I hate to be repetitive, but we don't think that's the best policy. We think, really and truly, that the more good football players - regardless of position - that you can add to your team, the better off you are as an organization and as a team."
    It's hard to argue with that strategy in today's NFL, where building through the draft is the accepted road to success. And any team would love an immovable, run-stuffing tackle, something the Packers' otherwise well-stocked defensive line lacks. However, Thompson has leaned too far toward the best-available-player philosophy and not paid enough attention to need. Since he took over the Packers' draft, his first-round picks have been a quarterback of the future (Aaron Rodgers), a linebacker (A.J. Hawk) and now Harrell. His only real big-ticket acquisitions in free agency have been defensive players - cornerback Charles Woodson and defensive tackle Ryan Pickett last year.
    Unless Thompson is able to complete a much-rumored trade with Oakland for wide receiver Randy Moss, there will be almost no chance to add an impact player on offense in what might be Favre's final season. The Packers picked Nebraska halfback Brandon Jackson late in the second round, but how much immediate help can he provide when he couldn't even start until the final nine games of his career? Third-round wide receiver James Jones of San Jose State is regarded as a developmental pick. Green Bay's failure to add firepower to an already punchless offense that has lost halfback Ahman Green to free agency could spell trouble in the fall - no matter how good the defense is. Thompson admits people might get the impression he's neglecting the offense, but he claims he was just following his draft board with the selection of Harrell. "We felt like he was the best value on the board," Thompson said. "We felt like anytime you have a chance to get a quality defensive lineman of his ability, you have to think about taking him."
    Thompson could have made the case that he needed to improve the defense because the rest of the teams in the NFC North added a potential playmaker in the first round Saturday, but he didn't. Detroit took wide receiver Calvin Johnson of Georgia Tech with the second pick, Minnesota took halfback Adrian Peterson of Oklahoma with the seventh pick and Chicago took Olsen with the 31st pick. Despite that, the Packers stuck to their long-range plan by picking Harrell. "He's a guy that we really coveted at 16," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. "I've said it over and over again, 'We're going to build this football team strong with the offensive and defensive lines.' We've added another excellent football player, excellent prospect to that defensive line group. You just cannot have enough big guys." The defense had better be good because, at the rate the Packers are going, the offense won't be.
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...stdraft/1.html

Peter King's funny response to fan's email:

PACKER NATION IS NOT PLEASED. Q. "I think the Packers flunked this draft for failing to address any of their needs and giving Brett a chance to win now. Your thoughts?''

A. I don't like having a major need at receiver and drafting the 13th and 21st wideouts in the draft. I said to someone after the first three rounds: "Favre's got to be throwing a shoe through his TV right now.''

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...ohn&id=2858916

ESPN John Clayton's view: Can Brett Favre be happy with the Packers' offseason? Favre had a great time last season. The Packers went 8-8. Favre liked his young offensive line and his young receiver, Greg Jennings. Optimistic about the chances of going to the playoffs, Favre returned for another season. So far, he's been greeted with an offseason in which cornerback Frank Walker was the only acquisition in free agency. He lost his backfield mate, Ahman Green. The running game enters the unknown with rookie Brandon Jackson and Vernand Morency. Nothing was done at tight end. Everyone remembers how Favre struggled mentally and emotionally in the 4-12 season in 2005. He wondered why he came back. Favre hates to lose. He wants one more chance at a Super Bowl, but at the very least, he wants another shot at the playoffs. Football is fun for Favre, but he needs to have more winning to make it fun enough to stay motivated.

ESPN MEL KIPER'S SUMMARY & GRADE: Green Bay Packers: GRADE: C+

Defensive tackle Justin Harrell didn't fill need, but the Packers chose the best available player over need. Harrell was hurt most of his senior season, but that didn't hurt his stock much. RB Brandon Jackson, if he can build on his strong finish to 2006, has a chance to be Green Bay's starting running back. James Jones was a decent third-round pick, a good wide receiver with natural receiving skills; safety Aaron Rouse is just an OK third-round pick; offensive tackle Allen Barbre is a bit overrated because he doesn't play as well as he tested during workouts. WR David Clowney has a lot of speed, and inside linebackers Korey Hall and Desmond Bishop should make it in the NFL as backups. Place-kicker Mason Crosby was a really good find in the sixth round. He has a great leg and has kicked in all kinds of weather playing at Colorado and in the Big 12. Crosby is not a product of the altitude in Colorado. I also liked the Packers' seventh-round picks: RB Deshawn Wynn from Florida and Rutgers tight end Clark Harris
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

TOP HAT'S NOTE: LARGE PACKER NATION POLLS AGREE.

3. A SITE'S LARGE SAMPLING POLL:

18% Give 2007 Pack Draft B or better.

82% Give 2007 Pack Draft C or worse.

4. A SITE'S LARGE SAMPLING POLL:

22% Give 2007 Pack Draft B or better.

78% Give 2007 Pack Draft C or worse.

5. ESPN SPORTS NATION HUGE POLL:

21% Give 2007 Pack Draft B or better.

79% Give 2007 Pack Draft C or worse.

UPDATE

FANS, THIS IS THE OFFICIAL GM TT PERFORMANCE SURVEY THREAD. THE OTHER DOUBLE POSTING THREAD SHOULD NOT HAVE POSTED, AND POSTED IMPROPERLY MISSING INFO LACKING TOTAL UPDATES.

TOP HAT

Re: GM TT PERFORMANCE SATISFACTION SURVEY

Quote Originally Posted by TopHat
    TOP HAT'S NOTE: LARGE PACKER NATION POLLS AGREE.

3. A SITE'S LARGE SAMPLING POLL:

18% Give 2007 Pack Draft B or better.

82% Give 2007 Pack Draft C or worse.

4. A SITE'S LARGE SAMPLING POLL:

22% Give 2007 Pack Draft B or better.

78% Give 2007 Pack Draft C or worse.

5. ESPN SPORTS NATION HUGE POLL:

21% Give 2007 Pack Draft B or better.

79% Give 2007 Pack Draft C or worse.
    cause this is important now. you don't grade a draft until after year 3.
    "I would love to have a guy that always gets the key hit, a pitcher that always makes his best pitch and a manager that can always make the right decision. The problem is getting him to put down his beer and come out of the stands and do those things." - Danny Murraugh

THANKS

Packerblue says, "Wow............now thats a post. Good job putting all that together TopHat."

TOP HAT: THANKS...SOMEBODY HAD TO DO IT.

UPDATES

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2869070 By Len Pasquarelli ESPN.com

Favre disappointed Packers didn't get Moss

The man who quietly but persistently lobbied hard for Green Bay officials to acquire Randy Moss during the offseason is apparently unhappy that the Packers' efforts to land the veteran wide receiver via a trade with the Oakland Raiders fell short on draft weekend. In interviews during his annual charity golf tournament in Tunica, Miss., quarterback Brett Favre acknowledged that he felt the Packers missed an opportunity to add a significant piece to their offense. Preparing for his 17th season in the league, his 16th in a Packers' uniform, Favre never publicly articulated his support for a Moss trade this spring, but the consensus was that he wanted an opportunity to play with the wide receiver.
    "It is disappointing," Favre said on Saturday. "We could have gotten him for less money than New England did. He wanted to play in Green Bay for the amount of money we would have paid him. It [was] well worth the risk." But was the three-time MVP angry enough to ask his way out of Green Bay? Amid public grousing from Favre about the state of his team over the weekend, a report on the Fox Sports Web site, citing anonymous sources, said Favre's agent called Packers general manager Ted Thompson to request a trade a few days after last month's draft. According to the report, Packers coach Mike McCarthy later called the quarterback and was able to calm his anger, getting Favre to admit that he didn't really want to play elsewhere. In a statement posted on the Packers' Web site, general manager Ted Thompson said he would not address the specifics of the report but understood the frustration Favre vented in interviews over the weekend.
    "I think it's natural for a player to be frustrated from time to time -- that's simply being human," Thompson said. "Everyone knows that Brett Favre is all about winning. As an organization, we share that commitment. And we want to win now." Other Packers officials and Favre's agent, James "Bus" Cook, did not return telephone messages from The Associated Press on Sunday. Green Bay officials did negotiate with the Raiders during the draft, but Oakland instead sent Moss to New England on the second day of the lottery, receiving a fourth-round draft pick in return. As part of the trade, Moss agreed to reduce his compensation for the 2007 season from $9.75 million to $3 million and to void the 2008 season that was part of the deal. Thompson has not addressed the team's efforts. It has been speculated that the Packers declined to surrender a fourth-round choice in trade talks, and offered only a fifth-round selection. That has not, however, been substantiated.
    Favre apparently spoke with Moss on several occasions before the draft. Favre's agent, Cook, was once Moss' agent as well, and still retains a lesser role representing the wide receiver in contract negotiations. That connection, though, is believed to have played no part in Favre's desire to add Moss to the Packers' passing game. Instead, the Green Bay quarterback merely felt Moss could still add an explosive dimension to the Packers' offense.
    "The last thing I want to do is start any [controversy]," Favre said. "But I think he would have been a great addition. You throw Randy Moss, you throw [current starters] Donald Driver and Greg Jennings on the field at the same time, and go three-wide receiver set ... and I think it's pretty intimidating. And we lost out on that, and I think that it's a shame, because I know we could have had him." Favre, 37, acknowledged the obvious, that he is nearing the end of his celebrated career, one that will someday earn him a spot in the Hall of Fame. But he emphasized that he can still perform at a high level and that he wants to finish his career a winner.
    "I'm not getting any younger and I think everybody knows that," Favre said. "I don't have five years to rebuild. ... I don't know if I've lost faith, and I think everyone in the organization wants to win. I just don't know if it includes me. If it's going to be five years from now, I'm not going to be here. This is 17 years for me and I want to win [now]." Favre is rehabilitating from February surgery on his left ankle. There are some questions about his plans for the team's minicamp next weekend, but it is believed that Favre will attend, although he will not be able to participate in any on-field activities.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

http://packerfansunited.blogspot.com/

Did Brett Ask to be Traded?

Here's something you don't hear every day. Or ever, for that matter. Brett Favre asking for a trade. That's what a report on the Fox Sports website says. Citing anonymous sources, the report says that Favre's agent, Bus Cook, called Packers' GM Ted Thompson to request a trade a few days after last month's draft. Why? Because, supposedly, Brett was upset that the Pack let Randy Moss slip through their fingers and land in New England. Actually, the word used in this report by Jay Glazer is that Brett was "incensed." In looking at the report on Fox Sports, it appears that the same kind of hyperbole is used in relaying this story as in most of its televised news shows. For example, Cook just didn't merely request the trade with Thompson, he "railed off on how his client was fed up with the organization and wanted out." OK. Maybe it was heated or maybe it wasn't. But unless it was a party line phone call (am I dating myself with that reference?), the only two people that know the context of that call -- if there was one -- are Cook and Thompson. Cook may be more likely to talk...that is his job in way. It's Thompson's too, just doesn't do much of it and, when he does, doesn't say much. So, who knows how upset Brett was?
    Brett, of course. And here's what he said Saturday in an interview with reporters during his charity golf outing in Mississippi: "I just want to win; maybe I see things the wrong way. I don't want to ruffle any feathers and I want people to respect me. Sometimes I think it's hard for them to let Brett go. They might think that we pay him a lot of money, but he still gives us the best chance to win. I've never been told that, but there are times when I wonder if I'm the odd man out here and they just don't know how to tell me. Our offense struggled last season. If it were not for our defense, we would not have won eight games. Right now, it's hard to be optimistic. I'm not getting any younger and I think everyone knows that. I don't have five years to rebuild. No one in Green Bay is saying rebuild but it's hard to look at where we are going and say, 'How can they not be rebuilding?' I don't know if I've lost faith, and I think everyone in the organization wants to win. I just don't know if it includes me. If it's going to be five years from now, I'm not going to be here. This is 17 years for me and I want to win." Brett is not a happy camper.
    According to a report on ESPN.com, "In a statement posted on the Packers' Web site, general manager Ted Thompson said he would not address the specifics of the report but understood the frustration Favre vented in interviews over the weekend. 'I think it's natural for a player to be frustrated from time to time -- that's simply being human,' Thompson said. 'Everyone knows that Brett Favre is all about winning. As an organization, we share that commitment. And we want to win now.'" Fans have already expressed their disappointment with this year's draft. Today, after this latest story broke, sport talk radio -- at least in some part of the Packers' home state -- were abuzz with fans calling in to rip Ted Thompson a new one. While fans were apparently evenly split beforehand about the possible trade for Moss, now hearing that Brett may have asked for a trade after that didn't happen is enough for some to jump on the dump Thompson bandwagon. That, of course, won't happen. At least, not yet. If, however, the Packers languish on offense this year as a result of missing the Moss trade and failing to acquire a new quality starting running back to replace Ahman Green, and -- Brett decides to hang up his cleats because he doesn't like what he sees -- Thompson just might find himself with no more room to maneuver. Time will answer many of these questions (at least that's what the Magic 8 Ball advisor says!).

"citing anonymous sources"

That means as much to me as dirty underwear.
    "I would love to have a guy that always gets the key hit, a pitcher that always makes his best pitch and a manager that can always make the right decision. The problem is getting him to put down his beer and come out of the stands and do those things." - Danny Murraugh

Quote Originally Posted by ND72
    "citing anonymous sources"

That means as much to me as dirty underwear.
    I guess the obvious question now is, how much does dirty underwear mean to you? I'm hoping you'll say not much.....

I wash them to get rid of the dirt....fact is, I could write a story, ask my cousin about what he thinks, and then put "citing anonymous sources".

I wash them to get rid of the dirt....fact is, I could write a story, ask my cousin about what he thinks, and then put "citing anonymous sources".

Actually, kidding aside, there is a fair amount of evidence. Favre's official site seemed to confirm it then changed to "everybody calm down". Next, Jay Glazer, who is pretty good, cited "several sources" within the Packers. This doesn't sound to me like something he just made up. I don't think it's a big deal because I doubt he really wants to be traded anyway. He's just pissed.

agreed...but I just hate reading a story that says citing anonymous sources....if you can't tell me who, don't write the damn story.

agreed...but I just hate reading a story that says citing anonymous sources....if you can't tell me who, don't write the damn story.

Man, that's true of all walks of life......shit, we just found out about the watergate snitch. Sometimes people will get fired if they go on record.....

UPDATES: RELIABLE NFL SOURCES

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/spor...134033&ntpid=1

Packers: Favre demanded a trade after draft

Brett Favre was so upset with the Green Bay Packers in the aftermath of the club's failure to acquire wide receiver Randy Moss the quarterback demanded a trade. Citing Packers and NFL sources, FoxSports.com's Jay Glazer reported shortly after the April 28-29 NFL draft, Favre's agent, James "Bus" Cook, called Packers general manager Ted Thompson and told him Favre was fed up with the organization and wanted out. Two NFL sources confirmed to the State Journal Sunday Favre indeed had Cook ask for a trade, although both sources said they believed Favre was simply reacting emotionally to the team not getting Moss, whom Favre had recruited himself during the offseason. Favre also had lobbied the team to add Moss.
    But because Thompson was only willing to give up a fifth-round pick for Moss - according to an NFL source with direct knowledge of the trade talks - the Oakland Raiders instead sent the controversial receiver to the New England Patriots for a fourth-round selection April 29. Thompson did not make himself available for interviews Sunday, but he did not deny Favre demanded a trade in a story posted on the club's Web site Sunday afternoon. Attempts to reach Favre were unsuccessful Sunday. The Packers will hold their full-squad, mandatory minicamp this weekend, and while Favre was expected to attend, it's possible he might skip the three-day session because he is still recovering from Feb. 26 surgery to remove bone spurs from his left ankle and will be unable to take part in the on-field workouts. If he does attend, it's unclear whether he'll speak with reporters.
    According to Glazer's report, when Cook called and made the demand, Thompson told Cook no such trade would happen, then relayed Favre's trade request to coach Mike McCarthy. McCarthy, in turn, immediately called Favre, only to have his calls ignored for a week. Finally, midway through last week, Favre and McCarthy spoke. Glazer appeared on Madison-area radio station WTLX (100.5 FM) Sunday and said Favre has since backed off his trade request. "He had asked to be traded, but before Packers fans panic and go nuts here, I think he has come off of that (stance) since," Glazer said during the show "Vick & Wood" with Ken LaVicka and Aaron Goldhammer. "He was clearly upset. ... When (McCarthy and Favre) finally spoke this past week, Brett told Mike that yes, he had asked for a trade, but then within the conversation, (Favre) said, 'Look, I don't want to go anywhere. You know I don't want to go anywhere. But I'm just fed up with what's going on.' "I don't know how intent (Favre) is (on a trade) now, but two weeks ago, he asked to be traded."
    Through a team spokesman, Thompson declined all interview requests Sunday, referring reporters to an interview he did with Packers.com. The story was titled, "Thompson optimistic about 2007." In that interview, Thompson was asked specifically about any recent dialogue with Favre and whether or not the quarterback had asked the team for a trade. Thompson replied, "We never comment on the talks we have with our players or with their agents, in line with the long-standing policy of our organization. We try to encourage open and honest dialogue with players and their agents. But if those talks later are shared with third parties, the willingness of players to be open in future conversations may be compromised."
    Glazer's story broke early Sunday afternoon, one day after Favre criticized the team in two separate interviews with two media friends - Jarvis Greer, the sports director at WMC-TV, the NBC affiliate in Memphis, Tenn.; and Al Jones, a writer for the Biloxi (Miss.) Sun Herald - at Favre's annual charity golf tournament in Tunica, Miss. "We could have signed Randy Moss, (and) I know what we could have signed him for. We could have gotten him for less money than New England did. He wanted to play in Green Bay for the amount of money we could have paid him," Favre told Greer. "It was well worth the risk. The last thing I want to do is start anything. But, I think he would have been a great addition (along) with Greg Jennings and Donald Driver ... and a run game that right now is in question because we lost (starting halfback) Ahman Green (in free agency) and we have to replace him with one of our young guys. "You throw Randy Moss, you throw Donald Driver and you throw Greg Jennings on the field at the same time, and go (with a) three-wide receiver set, I think it's pretty intimidating. We lost out on that, and it's a shame because I know we could have had him."
    Meanwhile, Favre told Jones the team's failure to land Moss was "disappointing," called reports Moss wouldn't restructure his contract with the Packers "untrue" and suggested that after 15 seasons in Green Bay, the team might not want him as its quarterback anymore. "I just want to win; maybe I see things the wrong way," said Favre, who also told Jones that he offered to give up part of his $11 million salary in 2007 to get the Moss deal done. "I don't want to ruffle any feathers and I want people to respect me. Sometimes I think it's hard for them to let Brett go. They might think that, 'We pay him a lot of money, but he still gives us the best chance to win.' I've never been told that, but there are times when I wonder if I'm the odd man out here and they just don't know how to tell me.
    Later, Favre added, "Our offense struggled last season. If it were not for our defense, we would not have won eight games. Right now, it's hard to be optimistic. I'm not getting any younger and I think everyone knows that. I don't have five years to rebuild. No one in Green Bay is saying rebuild but it's hard to look at where we are going and say, 'How can they not be rebuilding?' "I don't know if I've lost faith, and I think everyone in the organization wants to win. I just don't know if it includes me. If it's going to be five years from now, I'm not going to be here. This is 17 years for me and I want to win (now)."
    Asked in the Packers.com interview about Favre's comments, Thompson said, "I think it's natural for a player to be frustrated from time to time - that's simply being human," said Thompson. "Everyone knows that Brett Favre is all about winning. As an organization, we share that commitment. And we want to win now."

IMO, this is a "bubble year" for TT.

5 wins or less - start to look in another direction.

6-7 wins - (with injuries and without a season ending losing streak) - iffy

8 wins or more - he gets one more season.

If the Packer offense scores more this year than last year, does the entire board owe Thompson an apology?

This instant analysis is mind-boggling.

I voted Other: I supported him after he was hired and I still think he should be given the entire contract to work with. I generally think we are going in the right direction.

This, at least to me, is not bandwagoning.

Offense? What offense?

PackerReport.com's Doug Ritchay explains why the Green Bay Packers will struggle to score points this season after missing the boat early in the NFL draft to add firepower for Brett Favre.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

6-10 = Likely to be fired
    7-9 to 8-8 = High pressure
    9-7 wildcard = safe for one more at least
    10-6 division or wild card = 2 more years minimum
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastak

Man, that's true of all walks of life......shit, we just found out about the watergate snitch. Sometimes people will get fired if they go on record.....
    We don't even know for sure who 'you're so vain' is yet, for heaven's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax
    If the Packer offense scores more this year than last year, does the entire board owe Thompson an apology?
    I don't think anyone will appologize because he should have made us better but they certainly should get off his back if the team performs.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

You can disagree about the Packers cap situation in 2004/2005, but you can't say they were allowed to walk. Both Rivera and Wahle received offers that the Packers weren't close to matching and the Rivera money was stupid.

Sharper was much closer, but I never shared the glowing assessment of his play that the writer has.

Thompson has said under their cap situation they could have signed one of them. So this argument comes down to cap flexibility or Wahle.

The Packers were more than an Offensive Line away from competing. The North wasn't a powerhouse and winning three division titles didn't mean they were competing for a Super Bowl. They were being beaten regularly and clearly in the playoffs.

This was not a team on the cusp of greatness, it was in decline.

It has seemed obvious that Thompson wanted to tear the Packers down and rebuild with his own coaches and players since the end of 2005. That might be good for some teams, but the Packers had just won three consecutive division titles before Thompson walked in the door. In 2005 he let three very important players walk away (LG Mike Wahle, RG Marco Rivera, and FS Darren Sharper), then the Packers best player from 2004 is lost for the season (WR Javon Walker), then RB Ahman Green is injured for most of the season, and all the free agents Thompson signed were busts.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

PACKER NEWS: UPDATE

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.../70513035/1989

Did Favre seek trade after Moss deal fizzled? Source thinks QB is still committed to Packers

Within a few days after the draft, Brett Favre apparently asked the Green Bay Packers to trade him, but indications suggest he’s now not pushing for a deal to another club. Favre was and remains upset the team didn’t acquire receiver Randy Moss in a trade he lobbied General Manager Ted Thompson and Moss to complete. The quarterback publicly expressed his frustration on Saturday to reporters covering his annual charity golf outing in Mississippi. On Sunday, the Fox Sports Web site cited anonymous sources saying Favre’s agent, Bus Cook, called the team a couple of days after last month’s draft and asked the Packers to trade his client.
    Favre never said or suggested to reporters Saturday he wants to be traded. But he said that the failure to acquire Moss from Oakland - the Raiders dealt him to New England instead - is evidence Thompson is rebuilding for a couple of years down the road. The 37-year-old Favre is down to his perhaps his last year or two in the NFL and wants a better chance to win now. A source close to Favre told the Press-Gazette on Sunday that Favre might have talked about wanting a trade shortly after the draft but has given no such indication recently. Favre finally spoke with coach Mike McCarthy in the last week or so, the first time the two had talked since the draft.
    “He wouldn’t be doing these offseason workouts and all that (if he wanted a trade),” the source said. “He’s been busting his (butt). I don’t see him not playing for (the Packers). It wouldn’t surprise me if he told (Cook) or somebody that (he wanted a trade) - he was mad - but he wouldn’t be busting his (butt) like this.” It remains unclear whether Favre will attend the Packers’ mandatory minicamp this weekend. Favre will not take part in the practices because he’s recovering from arthroscopic surgery on his left ankle, and the source said Favre would prefer to remain in Mississippi working out rather than attend the camp. But at his golf outing, Favre left open the door to attending the camp.
    Favre is close to being fully recovered from February’s surgery to remove bone spurs from his left ankle. He’s been rehabilitating and also performing the core-strength oriented workout program with the same personal trainer he hired two years ago for the most rigorous offseason training of his career. Favre appears especially upset about the failed Moss trade because he thought a deal could have been completed easily. It’s not entirely clear why the trade fell through on draft weekend, but a major factor appears to be that Thompson insisted Moss take part of his $3 million salary in substantial weekly roster bonuses that would be paid only if he played each week. Moss would have taken the $3 million salary but rejected the roster-bonus contingency. Favre on Saturday said he offered to give up an equal amount of his $11 million salary to cover the cost of Moss’ roster bonuses, which is believed to be in the range of $800,000 to $1 million.
    However, salary-cap room is not an issue for the Packers, because they are about $15 million under the $109 million cap. Thompson responded to Favre’s statements over the weekend with a written press release Sunday. “I think it’s natural for a player to be frustrated from time to time - that’s simply human nature,” Thompson said. “Everyone knows that Brett Favre is all about winning. As an organization, we share that commitment. And we want to win now.” Thompson said in the release he won’t comment on whether Favre or Cook asked for a trade. “We never comment on the talks we have with our players or with their agents, in line with the long-standing policy of organization,” Thompson said.
    Thompson also defended his method of rebuilding the Packers, and said they’ll be better this year even without trading for Moss or signing any skill-position players for the offense in free agency. “We feel like we’ve had a great offseason program,” Thompson said. “Our guys are getting bigger and stronger, and we’ll improve from within. We’re also excited about the players we’ve added through the draft and what those players will bring to our team.”

Other.
    I was completely neutral about Thompson when he was first hired - how can any new GM be evaluated before he's had a chance.
    After watching the patient, solid, tough decisions & moves he's made, and seeing a floundering Packer team get back on the road to respectability, he has earned my support.
    Who Knows? The Shadow knows!