• USED TO PRAISE HIM, BUT AFTER 2007 WE MAY NEED A NEW GM

10 19.61%
  • FIRE THE GM WANNA BE

10 19.61%
  • OTHER: EXPLAIN

13 25.49%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: GM TT PERFORMANCE REVIEW/OFFICIAL FAVRE WATCH

Other: Its football, and its not something that should disrupt anyones life.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Just a reminder: IF the offensive line stays healthy, it ought to be - by dint of having year of experience and an off-season of lifting for the two rookie guards - a much better unit than last year. Jennings, again IF he stays healthy, ought to also be much better. Thus, I do not understand how a writer can so confidently assert that the Packer offense will be worse than last year's edition.

Ahman Green? I hoped TT could re-sign him but Houston paid ridiculous money for him and I am glad TT did not try to top that. This is the same Ahman Green, who, after all, has been frequently lambasted for his early season fumbling problems, and who by all accounts last year was not the same guy he used to be - and now he's a year older. He also missed some playing time last year, too.

Again, I don't share the writer's assertion that Green Bay's offense will be worse this year. I think it will be better, if the team stays healthy.

As for Favre's comments about "if it wasn't for the defense..." - well, isn't that what a good defense does? Help you win? How can you discount that?

Brohm, Swede - nice posts. I agree fully with the comments. When I see logical debates for both sides over here, I always head back over to the JSO for a dose of the Jerry Springer forum for the drama and grade school flaming that goes on over there. Then come back to here and wonder how I got by without this site.
    60% of the time it works every time.

UPDATE: NATIONAL SPORTS WRITER VIEW

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18646038/ by a freelance writer MV

Indecisive Pack should’ve traded Favre by now. QB right to be peeved by his own team's lack of direction.

I often wonder what goes on inside the war room of an NFL team during the annual draft. I’m sure I can guess: Lots of hushed but frantic chatter, shuffling of index cards, rustling of paper, shoving aside of pizza boxes, and the TV drone of the ESPN crew. I get all that. What I don’t understand is why it takes teams so long between picks. Surely a team has done so much homework up to that point that, considering which players had been selected up to that point and which ones are left, the choice at a particular pick should be a fairly simple matter. But I guess what I wonder most about is what the Green Bay Packers do on draft day. They must be quite a sight. I’d love to be a fly on the wall in their war room, although the exchanges would probably be fairly monotonous: “What do you think?” followed by “I don’t know. What do you think?”
    I bet the only reason the Packers make any decisions at all — and I’m talking not just about the draft but free agency, parking, the brand of bratwurst for the annual picnic, the team’s colors (they’re the same every year, but I’m sure club executives are still unsure) and whether to go with boxers or briefs — is because they’re part of a 32-team collective and the other organizations lean on them to go ahead and choose already.
    I bring this up because Brett Favre reportedly has asked the Packers to trade him, which is fascinating because I believe the primary reason he wants to be traded is because the Packers have failed to trade him. I know what you’re saying: “Huh?” But follow closely. The Packers are wimps. They’re terrified of Brett Favre. Each year Favre’s future becomes a huge news story, much bigger than it warrants. The Packers sit around on pins and needles waiting for Favre to tell them which direction the franchise will go: With him, or without him. They have to wait for Favre to tell them that because they can’t decide for themselves. They’re frightened that if they got rid of Favre, fan backlash would be fierce enough to require Red Cross intervention. In fact, Favre has become not just a future Hall of Fame quarterback, but a dictator in the most literal sense, because he is dictating to the people he rules over (the Green Bay Packers) what they will and will not do.
    But now a report on the Fox Sports web site suggests he asked for a trade after the draft because he took a look at the team in its present form, he realizes that it stinks, he understands that the main reason it stinks is because it’s petrified to make a major move and lacks the guts to do something like trade Brett Favre, and so he wants out. If they had simply traded him a couple seasons ago rather than sit and do nothing, he wouldn’t have to ask for a trade now. See? It’s simple.
    The crux is this: Favre is frustrated because he is the front man for a franchise that is going nowhere, and he’s tired of that role. He asked for a trade now because the New England Patriots pulled the trigger and acquired Randy Moss, a wide receiver to which Favre longed to throw. Because he was so upset that Moss went elsewhere, he decided the Packers were going nowhere. That’s why he reportedly asked for a trade. But the Moss thing was just the final, high-profile straw. Favre’s underlying dissatisfaction centers on the Packers’ inertia. And there is no better example of that than the team’s indecision on trading Favre....

[b]CONTINUED: Favre sees teams improving, but not Packers[/b

Favre will be 38 in October, he will be entering his 17th season and he certainly has looked at the NFL world around him with the eyes of a man whose time in the game is rapidly expiring. The six playoff teams in the NFC last season — Philadelphia, Dallas, New York Giants, Chicago, New Orleans and Seattle — arguably should be in contention next season as well. In addition, teams like Carolina, Atlanta, Tampa Bay, San Francisco and Arizona all have a shot at competing for a playoff berth. Over in the AFC, there is even renewed optimism at Raiders’ camp. The Raiders, for Pete’s sake! They were atrocious last season, but there’s talk they could conceivably double their victory total in 2007. That would be four wins, but hey, it’s an improvement.
    Favre sees teams taking steps to get better while he sees his Packers doing zilch. Moss is indeed a head case and, if the Packers struggled at some point in the season, Randy is not the type of teammate to pull a Knute Rockne and rally the fellows to follow his inspirational lead. But it was worth the risk. In the right environment, Moss could still be a superstar. Obviously the Patriots felt that way or they wouldn’t have taken on a contract that calls for Moss to receive about $21 million in base salary over the next two seasons. Favre told the Biloxi (Miss.) Sun-Herald that Moss was willing to “wipe his contract clean” and sign for $3 million guaranteed, but that the Packers were not willing to go for it. Favre even said he was willing to guarantee that portion of the contract out of his own money. Still no deal. But again, it isn’t just Randy Moss. The Packers have done little to improve other than lock up some of their key defensive players to contracts. It’s foolish to go out and spend money like Daniel Snyder, but it’s equally boneheaded to stand pat when standing pat means settling for mediocrity. This will all blow over like yesterday’s news. The Packers begin their mandatory minicamp on Friday, and Favre may or may not be there, since he is recovering from surgery in February to remove bone spurs from his left ankle. If he shows, he’ll make nice and say the trade demand was taken out of context or overblown. If he doesn’t show, the team will spin it to suggest all is well and that he is busy rehabbing. Yet behind the scenes, Brett Favre would be wise to demand that the team show some gumption by trading Brett Favre. That’s the kind of decisiveness he’s been waiting to see.

I was just thinking, didn't Favre call the 2006 Packers the most talented team he'd ever been on?

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers
    Favre has always been too honest. No big surprise to me that he'd be honest here. Remember Super Bowl or bust. Remember ripping Javon and sticking up for Bubba. Remember his frustration with no offensive FAs signed last year.

I've been a moderate Thompson supporter who has stayed optimistic. I get the building through the draft. I get avoiding FAs even (although not to the extent he apparently does). What I don't get is: why even go after Moss? If he wasn't going to offer more than 5th round pick and a reasonable contract, why bother? Also, why bother even showing interest in Keyshawn Johnson?
    Harv, maybe you make a move to get Moss to placate Favre. Maybe you don't sign Moss because there are those that don't want him here and you already have on serious problem at WR.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz
    Ahman Green? I hoped TT could re-sign him but Houston paid ridiculous money for him and I am glad TT did not try to top that. This is the same Ahman Green, who, after all, has been frequently lambasted for his early season fumbling problems, and who by all accounts last year was not the same guy he used to be - and now he's a year older. He also missed some playing time last year, too.
    Plus, Green missed valuable time ALL THE TIME, due to his asthma. Just look to 2003 - and the number of successful drives that stalled, due to Green coming out for a breather - including the incredibly important final drive of the first half in the Divisional playoff game with Philly. Tell me that had Green stayed on the field, the Packers wouldn't have scored a TD. This happened more often than not. The new guys plus the collection of RBs could easily be better than what they had with Green last year.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I vote other and here is why:

My stance on Thompson is that he's done a great job of restocking the team with talented youth. Despite Thompson's success in the draft, he has failed in free agency and trades. Furthermore, though Thompson has really redid the team salary cap, he has not done anything with it and every team ended up with extra cap room due to the CBA being done last year. Thus, I believe that Thompson is performing adequately as a GM but I don't like the job he's done with respects to winning now. I don't know if it's fair for me to hold it against him because his job is to ensure winning in the future but I am irritated, for two years now, that THompson hasn't done more to win now. I didn't want to rebuild when they fired Sherman. It's why I would've held onto Sherman the coach longer. Changing coaching staffs cost the Packers a playoff spot last year which cost the team a shot at a superbowl. Were we the most talented team last year? Not by any reach but just getting to the playoffs and having a player like Favre could've turned into a superbowl spot.

Thompson came in and chose to rebuild. For that effort, I give him a B+. On the flip side, Thompson came in and chose to lose now. For that, I give him an F. He hasn't stepped up to give the team tools to win with and though I think this year's class is a poor example of opportunities missed in free agency, I certainly can point to last year and the year before and the many players Thompson could've signed but didn't (mainly safeties) that could've helped the team win some games. Hell, when the bodies were dropping like flies a couple years back, Thompson was signing guys name TACO to fill need positions. I disliked that very much. I love the way Thompson drafts. I hate the way he has chosen to not do the little things he could do in order to give the team a chance to win now.

IF Thompson screwed over Favre with the Moss thing and played politics by making it seem as if he wanted Moss but then, when he actually had the chance, said no....then I may have a problem with Thompson. We just have to see what the facts are before going there.... That and the fact that the off-season isn't over yet. Thompson could still do some things. If Larry Johnson ends up getting traded to G.B. then I have a sneaky suspicion that Thompson's job rating will skyrocket and everyone will be happy for a while. We have to wait and see what else happens with trades, June 1 cuts and other...
    Life is a puzzle. Every day you get up and pick up the pieces from the day before.
    and
    You can't keep idiots from being idiots. You can only hope to contain them.
    and
    Idiots DO exist. I've seen them.

I liked the hiring of TT. Did not know much about him but after reading about his expereince I thought he was a good choice. So far I have been a TT bandwagon guy but thought this year he was to laid-back. Possibly he could have been more aggressive.

I wondered if he called Oakland at all during the draft to see if the trade was going to happen? It appears he sat back and waited for day two and found out by the media that Moss had been trading to New England.

Again, I find myself agreeing with Gureski. While Thompson has in fact turned our cap situation around, and he has added youth to our team, he has been all but invisible in FA.

People can argue until they turn blue that our Offense will be improved over last year due to time spent in the weight room and the year that they have played in our system. That would however be pure speculation and does not change the fact that they could not put points on the board last year. The Lions had a better scoring percentage than us last year, how sad is that?

UPDATE: BRETT SPEAKS & REACTIONS

http://packerfansunited.blogspot.com/

Brett Speaks

In a statement posted on the Packers official website about all the brouhaha regarding his supposed demand to be traded, Brett Favre says the following: "I was frustrated a couple weeks back when Randy Moss was traded to New England. I never wanted to be traded and I don't want to be traded. I want to be in Green Bay. I want to finish my career as a Packer. Sometimes when I get frustrated I let my emotions get the better of me. As I said in February when I announced that I was coming back, I am excited about the young talent on our team and the improvements we're going to see from one year to the next. I really enjoy the young guys I'm playing with. I'm working hard down in Mississippi right now, rehabbing, and I plan to be in the best shape of my life. I look forward to playing with this team and seeing what we can do. I think we can be pretty good."So...that's it then. Or is it?

Does He or Doesn't He?

As in, does Brett want to be traded or doesn't he? That is the question which has Packerland in near hysteria. Based upon Brett's own comments over the weekend about his extreme disappointment that the Packers did not acquire Randy Moss, and subsequent news reports that his agent called Packers GM Ted Thompson after the draft demanding a trade and reports that Brett didn't take calls from Coach Mike McCarthy for nearly a week afterward, it would seem...well, we'll only know when Brett decides to say. Thompson and McCarthy aren't talking.
    But the surprising thing -- at least to this Packer fan -- is that in a poll today in the online version of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel a slight majority of nearly 5,000 persons responding (as of the time of this post) said if Favre wants a trade the Packers should do it. Wow. Here are the results so far: An angry Brett Favre asks the Packers to trade him. Should they do it? ACTUAL RESULTS: 51% NO 49% YES.
    One of the other things being reported is that Brett may not attend the upcoming minicamp as a sign of his displeasure. Because he is rehabbing from his ankle surgery the plan was that he wouldn't actually participate in any activities anyway but would still attend. If nothing else, it might give him a better opportunity to see exactly what some of the new additions to the offense might be able to bring to the field. Brett wasn't too impressed with last year's draft either on the offensive side of things. Yet, it didn't take Brett long to discover that then-rookie Greg Jennings might become one of his favorite receivers. Granted, there is no one with the pedigree of Moss. But there just might be someone with the game and a heckuva lot better attitude.
    On the other hand, it is easy to understand Brett's frustration. The Pack has one of the best quarterbacks -- arguably the best -- to ever play the game, in the twilight of his career, still being productive and competitive, and it doesn't seem as if much effort is being made to put the veteran pieces in place to provide a legitimate shot at the playoffs and Super Bowl. Maybe these new kids will surprise everyone. Or maybe they will just disappoint and frustrate Brett to the point where he decides to retire or demand a trade to a team that can give him one last shot for another ring.
    The Packers have salary cap room. They have veteran leadership at a number of positions despite being the youngest team overall in the league last year. Whether the team's management and coaching staff know how best to make it all click remains to be seen. But one thing's for sure: if it isn't clicking with #4 -- on or off the field -- all is not well in Packerland.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&...2%26c%3d643826

Crunch time By Todd Korth

Favre, Packers should part ways, but five good reasons why it simply
    won't happen this year.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________

http://www.railbirdcentral.blogspot.com/

Plenty of mixed messages

It's really hard to gauge the extent of quaterback Brett Favre's discontent with the Green Bay Packer organization. Favre is upset, that much is clear. He's miffed that the team was unable to obtain wide receiver Randy Moss in a trade. Favre even offered money from his own contract to help pay for Moss. So does Favre really want a trade? Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel writes, "Until quarterback Brett Favre speaks on the matter in full, the depth of his resentment toward the Green Bay Packers' front office for not working out a trade for Oakland receiver Randy Moss won't be known."
    Well, fans may not have gotten it from the horse's mouth, but Favre's own brother has let it be known that Favre did indeed ask for a trade. "Favre's brother, Scott, tells TMJ4's Lance Allan that Brett's agent called Packers general manager Ted Thompson the day after the draft and asked for a trade," according to Silvia Acevedo of WTMJ in Milwaukee. Furthur interviews with Scott Favre aired on WTMJ indicate that Favre would still be open to the idea of a trade. And meanwhile, the Green Bay Press-Gazette headline reads, "Favre trade talk likely no big deal."
    According to reporter Pete Dougherty, "Within a few days after the NFL draft, Brett Favre apparently asked the Green Bay Packers to trade him, but indications suggest he's now not pushing for a deal to another club." Also a matter of contention is whether Favre will show up to mini-camp this upcoming weekend as well. Tom Silverstein of the Journal Sentinel says, "(Head coach Mike) McCarthy is confident he will show up, a source said Sunday." But WTMJ reports, "Favre won't be able to practice in the upcoming mini camp because he is still recovering from surgery on his left ankle. But he probably will stay away because he is still steamed over this whole issue." One final thing to note ...Silverstein reports, "Favre created a maelstrom when he expressed dissatisfaction with the team's effort to obtain Moss. But he apparently doesn't want to fuel the fires any more. On his personal Web site, the site administrator posted a message that said Favre wanted to tone things down about his displeasure with Packers management." Stay tuned.

FAVRE: NO MINICAMP

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=605108

Favre: 'I don't want to be traded' Also, Packers QB says he'll miss minicamp due to daughter's graduation

Brett Favre will not attend the Green Bay Packers' mandatory minicamp this weekend because of his daughter's upcoming graduation, he told a reporter in Mississippi this afternoon....

TOP HAT: I SENSE A SHADOW COMING.

Other.
    I had heard of TT from his days with the Seachicks and had no probem with him being given the reigns to the team but I do not agree with his penny pinching 100 percent. If this year is a big struggle for the offense and we end up 8 and 8 or worse again when he could have added some firepower with either Moss or Turner.......you have to roll the dice sometimes. If the Pack starts to win and is very competitive over the next few years then TT will be a hero... but if the after old #4 leaves and then its the firing squad for him.

Posted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:00 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Sorry.

I'm on the bandwagon.

TT is a grown up.

He has a plan and sticks to it. He doesn't get a hard on for names, but he does respect talent. He spends money carefully. He rewards our best players and keeps them on the team.

I have begun slipping off the Favre bandwagon.

He is still my favorite player, author of many happy memories. But his off-season act is really growing old.

It's one thing for "fans" dressed up for some kind of green and gold Mardis Gras to boo draft picks and talk stupidly about not signing Free Agents or drafting Bowe or Meacham or whoever Mel Kiper had on his board.

It is another thing to have Brett fire off like that.

Brett will be a great quarterback again if we can get him into training camp without retiring.

But he sure does suck at off-season public relations.

.................................................. .........................
    Hey, swede :
    Nicely put - well stated.
    I agree.
    Who Knows? The Shadow knows!

Other.

I've been mostly supportive of Thompson. I agree with his approach to be conservative most of the time and build through the draft. However, I disagree with his indecision and inability to seal the deal when opportunities present themselves.

I first spotted this in the Walker saga...where Thompson refused to talk with Walker and bypassed a GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY to work with Javon on a deal that favored both sides and allowed Walker to save face. Now, Thompson bungles an opportunity to land an impact WR on a team that converted only 16 of 49 red zone opportunities the year before.

I'm not ready to fire him yet...he deserves to have a chance to prove his draft choices and coaches can continue to improve the team.

Good luck TT.

UPDATE: SIMPLY...

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&...%2f644006.html

Sydney Speaks! Can’t they all just get along? By Harry Sydney

Ted Thompson has a plan. Favre wants to win now. PackerReport.com’s Harry Sydney provides an insiders point of view on how a communication breakdown has created an awkward situation between the two.

FAVRE'S ESTATE:

UPDATE: FAIR ENOUGH PERSPECTIVE

http://www.packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=2206

Brett Shows Frustration All Packer Fans Are Feeling by Capasso

I am not one to usually believe the rumors stating what Favre, Thompson, McCarthy, or anyone else in the Packer organization may or may not have said without documented evidence of the fact. On the other hand, I have seen enough quotation's around Brett’s recent comments at his golf outing to believe that he showed at least some disdain about that fact that Randy Moss was not signed by the Packer general manager Ted Thompson. I believe that he was expressing feelings that many Packer fans have been feeling over the entire off season…… frustration. Although I do not believe that Favre ever asked to be traded, I have heard rumors to that effect however, I haven’t seen him quoted as saying so by any credible sources.
    Favre made a statement today denying that fact that he wants to be traded and is looking forward to playing with the team this year. I can see how Favre and many Packer fans can be frustrated with the approach that Mr. Thompson is taking to turn the present Green Bay Packers team around. It is not a fast approach by any means. Many look at a team like New Orleans and say if they could go from last to first in one year why can’t the Packers? Well there are several reasons. New Orleans had a younger and more talented core of players than the Packers had. They also picked up a QB in Drew Brees that ended up having a Pro bowl year. The Packers have a much harder uphill battle to climb. Poor drafts and weak player negotiations over several years left the youth and talent pool pretty much dried up. Thompson had the chore of not only replacing the aging starters but also building up the reserves and depth of the Packers. On top of that he walked into camp with a very unfriendly salary cap situation that forced him to release several popular and talented players. The players and fans of the Green Bay Packers however want a championship team…. NOW.
    Some General Managers may have gone another way and filled the gaps with some more popular draft picks and by signing expensive free agents. In doing so they may have made themselves a more competitive team today, possibly giving them a shot of getting to the Super Bowl this year. But at what price? Could those teams possibly be looking at severe salary cap issue in the next several years? The possibility of overpaying several free agents may mean that they could have a one and done shot at a Super Bowl. This is the route some General Managers take to try to save their jobs but signing glorified free agents in an attempt for a 'quick fix' is not the way to get to the Super Bowl, or to create a dynasty. This is not the route Thompson chose to take. Thompson chose to build a team by expanding the core of talent with young talented draft picks and little known free agents that were 'under the radar'. That is why he has not picked the 'popular' picks that would fill the immediate gaps for a team that is making a run for the Super Bowl this year. Are the Packers a Super Bowl-bound team this year? Sorry...it probably is not! Are we getting better? Yes! Are we filling some of the voids on the team? Yes! Are we going to become a dynasty overnight? No! Will it be in the near future? Let’s hope so. We as Packer fans will have to be patient and wait for the seeds that Thompson is planting to bloom. I want to see the Packers win the Super Bowl led by Brett Favre as much as anyone but for that to happen I am afraid that Brett is going to have to play another year or two. Hence ..Brett’s and our frustration grows

Quote Originally Posted by swede
    Sorry.

I'm on the bandwagon.

TT is a grown up.

He has a plan and sticks to it. He doesn't get a hard on for names, but he does respect talent. He spends money carefully. He rewards our best players and keeps them on the team.

I have begun slipping off the Favre bandwagon.

He is still my favorite player, author of many happy memories. But his off-season act is really growing old.

It's one thing for "fans" dressed up for some kind of green and gold Mardis Gras to boo draft picks and talk stupidly about not signing Free Agents or drafting Bowe or Meacham or whoever Mel Kiper had on his board.

It is another thing to have Brett fire off like that.

Brett will be a great quarterback again if we can get him into training camp without retiring.

But he sure does suck at off-season public relations.
    Like I've said before, I'm probably in the major minority here when I say I'm not upset with Brett saying what he did. He voiced the opinion of thousands of Packer fans. I think it's something that needed to be said and maybe after the dust settles will work out for the best. I think Harv posted somewhere that one of Favre's biggest faults is his honestly. Well damn, in a NFL world full of gang bangers and drug users, I guess I find a player....a HOF'er... being honest, nothing to get irrate about. Lots of players speak their mind, but because this is Favre it gains national media attention.

As for Thompson...I'm not against him, but I do wonder how so many people are pro Thompson...anti Favre during all this. TT may turn out to be one of the best GM's...but he's unproven at this point in GB. Thompson gave us a good draft + a little FA help in 2006....that's all we know for sure. Favre has been a faithful Packer for 17 years!! It makes me sick hearing all the Favre bashing going on in these threads. I seriously hope I don't hear the same people gushing over Favre during the 2007 season as he's breaking records.

You are in the majority 007. You are just honest great Packer fan.