Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "Brat" Favre ESPN Article

"Brat" Favre ESPN Article

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...6&sportCat=nfl

Packers don't owe Favre anything
    By Jemele Hill
    Page 2

A friend of mine came up with a great nickname for a certain Super Bowl quarterback in Green Bay, who I think perfected the free pass, not just the zip pass.

"Brat" Favre is what we've begun to call the dwindling diva, because he is again showing in the offseason why he's a member of the Susan Lucci drama club, along with Terrell Owens and Curt Schilling.

Mr. 47 Interceptions over the past two seasons -- including a hard-to-top 29 in 2005 -- is in the news because he's unhappy the Packers didn't get Randy Moss, and depending on whom you believe, he may or may not have asked for a trade after the draft.

Most Packers fans seem to believe Favre has earned the "right" to complain and tell his employers how they should run the team, even though his annual should-I-stay-or-should-I-go tango is partly to blame for the Packers' current malady.

First, let's deal with this concept that athletes have certain "rights" -- a subject that has come up quite a bit lately because of Favre and Roger Clemens, who supposedly has earned the "right" to skip spring training, play half a season, not travel with his teammates and act as if he's the only baseball player juggling a family.

Contrary to what most athletes believe, they aren't owed a thing. Yet for some perplexing reason, many of them seem to think their "rights" should supersede everything else.

Favre isn't owed any more championships than he's already won. Donovan McNabb isn't owed an explanation from the Eagles because they drafted a quarterback. Pacman Jones isn't owed due process from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

The Packers' philosophy seems to center around building a solid defense through the draft -- which is exactly what they should be doing. They have surrounded Favre with a lot of young talent on offense and rightly expect their 17-year veteran to nurture and build that talent.

I can't feel sorry for Favre because it's not like he didn't know the Packers needed to rebuild. If he didn't want to go through that, he should have either retired or asked for a trade instead of picking a passive-aggressive fight through the media.

It's clear to us that Favre is looking out for No. 1.Besides, he is partly to blame for his predicament. Maybe Favre would have another offensive weapon if he hadn't sabotaged former receiver Javon Walker during his contract squabbles with the Packers. Favre called Walker out instead of being supportive -- by the way, notice how Tom Brady tried to pressure the Patriots to pay Deion Branch -- and Walker took his services elsewhere. Of course, it was easy for Favre to suggest Walker was being greedy when Favre is sitting on a $100-million contract.

It's not the first time Brat has inserted his self-righteous opinion where it doesn't belong. Remember what he said during the Packers' tense contract situation with cornerback Mike McKenzie?

"He should be here, we expect him to here and the Packers have the upper hand," Favre said at the time. "He says he wants to be traded and all that stuff, but they don't have to do that. When paycheck time starts coming around and you're not getting one, it's amazing how quickly you start waking up."

Oh, I get it. Favre is the only one who can voice displeasure with the organization. For someone who says he's all about the team, Brat sure finds a way to air feelings that should be kept in-house.

Unfortunately, most Packer fans can't see past Favre's yesteryears to notice their beloved QB has become just as adept at undermining the franchise as he is throwing into triple coverage.

If Packers fans were ready to accept the truth, they would see that not much separates Favre from other selfish athletes. Nobody called Moss a diehard competitor when he was critical of Oakland, yet that's how Favre's comments about Green Bay have been framed. At least Moss manned up and asked for a trade instead of playing a shell game with the media.

T.O. is a lot of things (many of them bad), but I can only imagine the reaction had he treated his minicamp like Favre, who is skipping the Packers' mandatory minicamp this weekend because it would interfere would his social calendar.

"They were going to have me sit out anyway," Favre told the Biloxi (Miss.) Sun-Herald. "To be honest, we have [daughter] Brittany graduating in two weeks. Instead of going up there and not doing anything, I will be better off being at home because of graduation parties and banquets."

Let me guess, he's earned the right to do that, too. Wish he'd exercise his right to be quiet.

Page 2 columnist Jemele Hill can be reached at jemeleespn@gmail.com.

It's funny. My wife can say whatever bad thing she wants to about her mom, but I've learned--REALLY learned--not to do the same thing myself.

I can listen to a certain amount of Green Bay fans picking on Brett for his comments, and, in fact, I've picked on him myself.

But it really ticks me off to hear someone outside the family use Brett as a punching bag in order to provide some cheap entertainment to the masses and pump up the word count for his editor.

In answer to the writer's last couple of questions, yes Brett has earned a pass on the mini-camp and I don't think we'll need him in Green Bay in May when his daughter is trying to graduate from high school and enjoying a chance to princess about with her dad during this unique time in her life.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

Though the article is pretty rough on him, I'm ok with it. If he doesn't catch grief for this kind of thing, he'll be more inclined to keep doing it.

All this 'owing' stuff. When exactly did Favre say that the Packers owe him?

Half of the artical was calling Packer fans idiots so I think that was directed at 2/3rds of the people in Wisconsin.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by swede
    It's funny. My wife can say whatever bad thing she wants to about her mom, but I've learned--REALLY learned--not to do the same thing myself.
    That's exactly it. We should all ask ourselves if we would view the last 3 or 4 Favre off-seasons differently if he played for the Vikings or Bears.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Yep, Favre oughtta shut up. No matter how justified he may think he is, the bottom line is that it's gonna make you look like a candy-ass whiner.

But really, all this over Randy Moss. Am I the only guy who didn't want him, regardless of the possible benefit?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell
    Though the article is pretty rough on him, I'm ok with it. If he doesn't catch grief for this kind of thing, he'll be more inclined to keep doing it.
    This article is a moron spewing off about something he read on the Internet like you and me. If he doesnt catch grief he will be inclined to keep doing it too.

Problem is he sucks and is unoriginal.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker
    This article is a moron spewing off about something he read on the Internet like you and me. If he doesnt catch grief he will be inclined to keep doing it too.

I agree, but the point is that Favre gave him all the ammo he needed. That's why Favre should shut up - it allows a bunch of worthless punks to take shots at him.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

The problem is when Favre makes these statements the comments in the national media go on and on until the season starts. This has happened so many times for so many years, that at this point I have to believe that Favre loves the controversy, and being at the center of it. If he really wanted to be left alone during the off season to enjoy Mississippi peacefully, he wouldn't interject himself into the spot light every off season.

Favre

Just another stupid writer trying to create controversey in order to get someone to read her useless articles. I never even heard of her before today which pretty much says it all. She must be screwing the editor cause that's about the only way any of her garbage would get published.......

Quote Originally Posted by Patler
    The problem is when Favre makes these statements the comments in the national media go on and on until the season starts. This has happened so many times for so many years, that at this point I have to believe that Favre loves the controversy, and being at the center of it. If he really wanted to be left alone during the off season to enjoy Mississippi peacefully, he wouldn't interject himself into the spot light every off season.
    You may be right. And really, he doesn't even have to - there are all kinds of guys in the media that carry his water for him - Steve Young, etc. - they blab all the time how the Packers haven't given him enough weapons, etc. Perhaps the problem is that Favre believes what they say and listens to them too much - hell, he played another year because of what Phil Simms said on a radio show, right?

Look, the bottom line is that Favre is pretty emotional - wears his heart on his sleeve - and he's not the sharpest tool in the woodshed. More reasons why he should just shut up.

Brett's my all-time favorite athlete, but he's bringing a lot of this on himself. Brett would be doing everyone in the Packer organization a big favor if he would just come to mini-camp and stay away from microphones.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

While I do think ESPN & Co. are turning nothing into something reguarding Favre and the Packers. I do think Brett Favre, Bus Cook, and everyoen else associated with Favre, need to just SHUT UP and stop giving the dogs a bone. If Favre is smart, he will show up this weekend, even if it's for a day, to just stand there....but he won't.
    "I would love to have a guy that always gets the key hit, a pitcher that always makes his best pitch and a manager that can always make the right decision. The problem is getting him to put down his beer and come out of the stands and do those things." - Danny Murraugh

Re: Favre

Quote Originally Posted by Packnut
    Just another stupid writer trying to create controversey................................

I think Brett created the controversy. You can't blame people for writing about it. Whether they blame Thompson like Steve Young does, or whether they blame Favre the way this writer does, Brett was the one that compelled them to publish their thoughts on the matter.

Senior Rat All-Pro FritzDontBlitz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker

if i'm not mistaken hill is the same guy who was giving javon walker a platform to bitch from when he wanted out of green bay.
    Always respect your opponent, even when you're kicking the crap outta him.

Senior Rat All-Pro FritzDontBlitz's Avatar
    oh snap, its a girl.

i stand corrected, lol

but, this "journalist" actually wrote a column claiming kobe bryant is a better player than michael jordan?
    Always respect your opponent, even when you're kicking the crap outta him.

Quote Originally Posted by FritzDontBlitz
    oh snap, its a girl.

i stand corrected, lol

but, this "journalist" actually wrote a column claiming kobe bryant is a better player than michael jordan?
    Was she stoned? MJ was the best!

Maybe she meant that Kobe is better than MJ in some other way.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

You devil, you.