Thread: Lions sign No. 2 pick WR Calvin Johnson

Lions sign No. 2 pick WR Calvin Johnson

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/DET/10279736

Lions sign No. 2 pick WR Johnson

NFL.com wire reports

ALLEN PARK, Mich. (Aug. 3, 2007) -- Rookie wide receiver Calvin Johnson signed a six-year deal with the Detroit Lions, ending the No. 2 overall pick's eight-day holdout.

NFL Network's Adam Schefter

The Detroit Lions have agreed to terms with their first-round pick, wide receiver Calvin Johnson, on a whopping six-year, $55.5 million contract that includes almost $27.2 million worth of guarantees. The contract has a maximum value of $64 million, and it makes him the highest-paid player in Lions history.

Unlike other rookie deals, it includes guaranteed money paid out from the moment Johnson signs it.

It also includes another $4.5 million in bonuses that Johnson, the second overall pick in the draft, should earn by the middle of this season if he sees even a minimum amount of playing time.

Johnson's signing allowed him to get into camp for workouts, where he was out catching passes.

"I know the expectations are really high, but I'm hoping I can live up to them," Johnson said.

"Now that I'm here, I can start working on that."

Johnson and the team agreed to terms and signed the contract early Friday, said Lions executive vice president Tom Lewand.

"It's good to be on the field and not be dealing with contract stuff any more," Johnson said.

"At first, I was trying to be patient, but it's been pretty nerve-racking for the last few days."

Johnson was regarded by some as the best player in the draft after catching 78 passes for 1,202 yards and 15 touchdowns during his All-America junior season at Georgia Tech. He won the Biletnikoff Award, given to the nation's top college receiver.

The Lions made room for Johnson on the roster by placing quarterback Drew Stanton -- a rookie second-round pick out of Michigan State -- on injured reserve, meaning he's out for the season. Stanton had arthroscopic knee surgery earlier in the week.

"He's a quick study, so we put him right out there with the ones in the two-minute drill," Lions coach Rod Marinelli said of Johnson.

"We've got some receivers whose legs are gone, and Calvin's fresh, so he's going right into the fire."

The Lions, 3-13 last season, in April made Johnson the fourth receiver taken with their first pick in the past five drafts.

The Lions are 24-72 and have missed the playoffs every season since Lions president Matt Millen joined the front office in 2001.

The soft-spoken Johnson figures to get ample opportunities in offensive coordinator Mike Martz's pass-happy scheme.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Senior Rat HOFer the_idle_threat's Avatar

Re: Lions sign No. 2 pick WR Calvin Johnson

The Lions made room for Johnson on the roster by placing quarterback Drew Stanton -- a rookie second-round pick out of Michigan State -- on injured reserve, meaning he's out for the season. Stanton had arthroscopic knee surgery earlier in the week.
    I hadn't heard this. That's handy---give the kid a redshirt season.

I can not believe the contracts these ROOKIES are getting. They have yet to do anything in the NFL. It really is getting out of control. The NFL needs to fix the system. If I were an NFL vet. who had proven myself in the league, I would want more money too.

Great signing, man do I wish he was in GB. I love this kid!
    Pass Jessica's Law and keep the predators behind bars for 25 years minimum. Vote out liberal, SP judges. Enforce all immigrant laws!

Quote Originally Posted by gbpackfan
    I can not believe the contracts these ROOKIES are getting. They have yet to do anything in the NFL. It really is getting out of control. The NFL needs to fix the system. If I were an NFL vet. who had proven myself in the league, I would want more money too.
    I know, it's ridiculous. I would love to see a rookie pay scale for the first two years in the league. I can't imagine what kind of incentive a rookie has to really excel in the league after he's just signed a $57 million dollar contract with almost half of it guaranteed. I also wonder what kind of atmosphere that creates in the locker room with some of the older vets. I'm sure they get the business, but it can't make them too pleased.

It's going to get to the point when the salary cap gets tight again for many teams where they won't even be able to afford a top 5 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by GBRulz
    I know, it's ridiculous. I would love to see a rookie pay scale for the first two years in the league. I can't imagine what kind of incentive a rookie has to really excel in the league after he's just signed a $57 million dollar contract with almost half of it guaranteed. I also wonder what kind of atmosphere that creates in the locker room with some of the older vets. I'm sure they get the business, but it can't make them too pleased.

It's going to get to the point when the salary cap gets tight again for many teams where they won't even be able to afford a top 5 pick.

Indeed. The money this year is unreal.

No kidding.

Now that alone is enough incentive for any NFL teams GM to not want to have a top 4 pick.

Play like HELL is at your door baby.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

I was just thinking and wondering if the Packers have gotten any video on this monster to Al Harris.

Do you think. . .

Woodson and Harris will be pumped for those Lions games?

Tickets to see the BEARS? The Lions @ Lambeau will be interesting this season.