Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Walker deal makes more cap room

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shamrockfan
    Quote Originally Posted by KYPack
    I think the JSO comment is off just a little. I believe Walker still has a small bonus amount that will now be accelerated. His contract was actually through 2007, but terminable a year early due to performance. One mid contract bonus he received, I think, was then amortized over the remaining life of the contract, through 2007.

The end result, I believe is an additional acceleration now that Walker was traded of a little less the $400,000. In the end, I think the Packers gain only about $770,000 in additional cap room in 2006, not a little more than a million as JSO seems to suggest..

Nit picking, I know.
    You SURE you ain't Patler?

I make the cap savings 1.15 million on the JW trade, for now, we'll see what the #2 pick (Colledge?) gets.

The $770,000 you speak of is JWalk's LTBE bonus.

Well see what the total cap savings is.
    My calculations are based on:

A pre-trade cap figure of just over $2Million, made up of a salary of $1.15 million and a prorated bonus amount of $855,000.

Following the trade, GB has to account for the $855,000 plus a remaining roster bonus portion of $380,000 that would not have hit the cap until 2007. (See my explanation of the second bonus ammortized over the life of the contract, which really was through 2007, but terminable based on performance.)

If you add the $855,000 plus the $380,000, the 2006 cap hit should be $1,235,000. If you subtract that total from the pre-trade hit of $2.005.000 you get a cap space gain of $770,000 resulting from the trade..
    SMF,

I don't think yer #'s are correct.

I emailed Craig Pheebles, the ultimate cap freak & will post his opinion. I don't buy the $380,000 hitting our cap #.

I'll post it and if I'm wrong, well it won't be the first time, pal.

I think the JSO comment is off just a little. I believe Walker still has a small bonus amount that will now be accelerated. His contract was actually through 2007, but terminable a year early due to performance. One mid contract bonus he received, I think, was then amortized over the remaining life of the contract, through 2007.

The end result, I believe is an additional acceleration now that Walker was traded of a little less the $400,000. In the end, I think the Packers gain only about $770,000 in additional cap room in 2006, not a little more than a million as JSO seems to suggest..

Nit picking, I know.
    Dude, you ARE Patler. Or you're channeling Patler. Glad to have a capologist on board, either way.

You SURE you ain't Patler?

I make the cap savings 1.15 million on the JW trade, for now, we'll see what the #2 pick (Colledge?) gets.

The $770,000 you speak of is JWalk's LTBE bonus.

Well see what the total cap savings is.
    My calculations are based on:

A pre-trade cap figure of just over $2Million, made up of a salary of $1.15 million and a prorated bonus amount of $855,000.

Following the trade, GB has to account for the $855,000 plus a remaining roster bonus portion of $380,000 that would not have hit the cap until 2007. (See my explanation of the second bonus ammortized over the life of the contract, which really was through 2007, but terminable based on performance.)

If you add the $855,000 plus the $380,000, the 2006 cap hit should be $1,235,000. If you subtract that total from the pre-trade hit of $2.005.000 you get a cap space gain of $770,000 resulting from the trade..

Another way to estimate the cap effect is this. Walker received the following guaranteed money:

$3 million signing bonus in 2002
    $1.3 roster bonus in 2003, presumably guaranteed and amortized
    some nickel and dime stuff the first couple years, not worth worrying about. and probably not amortized over the contract anyway.

In the published cap lists from 2002 through 2005 $3.165 of these bonuses were accounted for, leaving $1.135 of the $4.3 in bonuses yet to be counted against the cap at some point. Because of the trade, all of that hits the cap this year. If his expected cap number was $2,005,000 in 2006, the gain in available cap space resulting from the trade is $870,000.

This doesn't match exactly with my other calculation, but both seem to show something over a million in bonus money yet to be accounted for.

I'm only using published figures relating to his contract. I have no way of knowing the validity of them.

Blog Entries
    Another way to estimate the cap effect is this. Walker received the following guaranteed money:

some nickel and dime stuff the first couple years, not worth worrying about. and probably not amortized over the contract anyway.

In the published cap lists from 2002 through 2005 $3.165 of these bonuses were accounted for, leaving $1.135 of the $4.3 in bonuses yet to be counted against the cap at some point. Because of the trade, all of that hits the cap this year. If his expected cap number was $2,005,000 in 2006, the gain in available cap space resulting from the trade is $870,000.

This doesn't match exactly with my other calculation, but both seem to show something over a million in bonus money yet to be accounted for.

I'm only using published figures relating to his contract. I have no way of knowing the validity of them.
    Well, man. This thread, from my standpoint, is done. The other figures you posted were incorrect, but I ran the numbers based on the data on the Cap Site and came up with a figure of $875,000. You say 870, so I'd say we're both pretty close

So, it ain't worth arguing over 5 grand, no?

When Craig emails his take on the cap savings, I'll post it in this thread.

Well, man. This thread, from my standpoint, is done. The other figures you posted were incorrect, but I ran the numbers based on the data on the Cap Site and came up with a figure of $875,000. You say 870, so I'd say we're both pretty close

Which of my numbers do you think are incorrect?

Blog Entries

Well SRF,

Craig Phephles answered my question in his cap blog. Go over there to see a VERY interesting picture, or to get more detail on his answer.

Here's Craigs reply

JWalk counts $855k in "dead cap" for 2006, i.e., his "cap hit" (2006 was his last year under contract).

Craig says $855
    You say $ 870
    I say $875.

The "answer" is in there someplace.