Quote Originally Posted by No Mo Moss
Correct me if I'm wrong here but wasn't Lambeau already atop the NFL in the passing game before Hutson. Didn't LAmbeau really innovate the aerial game back when he had Cal Hubbard and Clarke Hinkle. I was under the impression that after Hubbard, Lambeau specifically targeted and coached up Arnie Herber for the sole purpose of being a gifted passer. Don Hutson, well he simply made them completely unstoppable. They were 15 to 20 years ahead of the game. Can you imagine what that would look like today.
Well yes and no.

Lambeau always saw the pass as a strategic weapon, based in part on the vision of his hero, Knute Rockne. Lambeau obtained veteran players that were proficient in the passing game. Hubbard was a HOF lineman, Hinkle a HOF fullback. Both helped the Packers to championships, but the first passing artists for the Pack were Johnny Blood and Red Dunn. This group won the 3 championships in a row (29 - 31)

Then Lambeau did get GB native Arnie Herber in '33 for Herber's cannon-like arm. The addition of Hutson in '35 re-fueled the Packer rocket and Herber to Hutson (Cecil Isbell later)brought 3 more championships.

The Packers always tossed the ball, as you mention. With Hutson it was a modern, sophisticated pass offense. The Z in, Z out, the false shake, and double moves were all developed by Hutson and his playmates.

Defenses changed as teams went with 4 DB's and double coverages (once consider "unmanly") in a futile attempt to stop Don and the Packers.

Those Packer games films were pored over by coaches all over the country to learn the modern passing game.