Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Don Hutson...fastest Packer ever!

Mary Ann.

Scott, I thought you would've been the first to say 'both dammit, and Mrs. Howe for good measure.' What's three more, really?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

I remember my Dad telling me he was at the game where Don Hutson set an NFL record for catching 4 touchdown passes in a QUARTER!

After the second TD, the other team(it might be the Browns--I am not sure) assigned two cornerbacks to Hutson. One lined up directly across Hutson at the line of scrimmage. His sole job was to either hold up Hutson at the line or knock him off his route. The second cornerback was to actually cover Hutson if he got past the cornerback.

Needless to say, Hutson got past both of them to catch 2 more TD's that quarter and caught half a dozen more passes for the rest of the game.

Oregonpackfan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oregonpackfan
    I remember my Dad telling me he was at the game where Don Hutson set an NFL record for catching 4 touchdown passes in a QUARTER!

After the second TD, the other team(it might be the Browns--I am not sure) assigned two cornerbacks to Hutson. One lined up directly across Hutson at the line of scrimmage. His sole job was to either hold up Hutson at the line or knock him off his route. The second cornerback was to actually cover Hutson if he got past the cornerback.

Needless to say, Hutson got past both of them to catch 2 more TD's that quarter and caught half a dozen more passes for the rest of the game.

Oregonpackfan
    It was against the Lions. The Browns didn't exist in '45. They didn't start their NFL run until 1950.

On October 7, 1945 in Milwaukee, Hutson and the Pack went ape shit on the Lions. The Pack scored 41 points in a single quarter. Don lead the way with 29 points. Don scored 4 touchdowns and kicked 5 extra points.

Don caught all 4 td's from the same QB. You are a Pack trivia meister if you can name him.

Roy McKay?

Correct me if I'm wrong here but wasn't Lambeau already atop the NFL in the passing game before Hutson. Didn't LAmbeau really innovate the aerial game back when he had Cal Hubbard and Clarke Hinkle. I was under the impression that after Hubbard, Lambeau specifically targeted and coached up Arnie Herber for the sole purpose of being a gifted passer. Don Hutson, well he simply made them completely unstoppable. They were 15 to 20 years ahead of the game. Can you imagine what that would look like today.
    "For a fan base that so gratefully took to success, it bothers me how easily some fans are resigned to failure."

No Mo Moss 9.14.06

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack

Oregonpackfan
    It was against the Lions. The Browns didn't exist in '45. They didn't start their NFL run until 1950.

On October 7, 1945 in Milwaukee, Hutson and the Pack went ape shit on the Lions. The Pack scored 41 points in a single quarter. Don lead the way with 29 points. Don scored 4 touchdowns and kicked 5 extra points.

Don caught all 4 td's from the same QB. You are a Pack trivia meister if you can name him.
    KY,

Was it Arnie Herber?

Oregonpackfan

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell
    Roy McKay?
    Na, he plays Center Forward for Bayern Munich Soccer team. Dutch guy, face full of zit scars. Earn 4 million a year.

They just won the national championship today.

Blog Entries
    Roy McKay?
    Yeah Scott, it was Roy McKay.

Where do we mail the trivia-meister trophy?

Blog Entries
    [quote="oregonpackfan"]

KY,

Was it Arnie Herber?

Oregonpackfan
    No Arnie Herber retired after the '40 season.

It was Roy Mckay (See the posts above)

Roy McKay?
    Yeah Scott, it was Roy McKay.

Where do we mail the trivia-meister trophy?
    Google.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by No Mo Moss
    Correct me if I'm wrong here but wasn't Lambeau already atop the NFL in the passing game before Hutson. Didn't LAmbeau really innovate the aerial game back when he had Cal Hubbard and Clarke Hinkle. I was under the impression that after Hubbard, Lambeau specifically targeted and coached up Arnie Herber for the sole purpose of being a gifted passer. Don Hutson, well he simply made them completely unstoppable. They were 15 to 20 years ahead of the game. Can you imagine what that would look like today.
    Well yes and no.

Lambeau always saw the pass as a strategic weapon, based in part on the vision of his hero, Knute Rockne. Lambeau obtained veteran players that were proficient in the passing game. Hubbard was a HOF lineman, Hinkle a HOF fullback. Both helped the Packers to championships, but the first passing artists for the Pack were Johnny Blood and Red Dunn. This group won the 3 championships in a row (29 - 31)

Then Lambeau did get GB native Arnie Herber in '33 for Herber's cannon-like arm. The addition of Hutson in '35 re-fueled the Packer rocket and Herber to Hutson (Cecil Isbell later)brought 3 more championships.

The Packers always tossed the ball, as you mention. With Hutson it was a modern, sophisticated pass offense. The Z in, Z out, the false shake, and double moves were all developed by Hutson and his playmates.

Defenses changed as teams went with 4 DB's and double coverages (once consider "unmanly") in a futile attempt to stop Don and the Packers.

Those Packer games films were pored over by coaches all over the country to learn the modern passing game.