Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Over/Under On The Thompson Bashers

OK. ENOUGH ALREADY. I CAN'T TAKE ANYMORE. I'LL ADMIT IT.

I was wrong about Thompson. Very, very wrong. So wrong, that I shall not make another prediction about his success or lack thereof for at least one entire week.

I especially apologize to Shadow and JH, who I know acknowledge as having the finest football minds on this board. I'd wash and wax their cars if only I lived a little closer.

Humbly, and with a deep sense of shame,

Scott Campbell

? HOFer
    It bothers me when users state opinions as facts.

Include an "I think" or an "In my opinion", etc.

Re: Over/Under On The Thompson Bashers

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow
    Ok, we are 4-0; no team in the entire NFL has a better record after 1/4 of the regular season.
    One of the chronic TT bashers seems to have softened in the face of the significant improvement in the team, but at least 2 others have adamantly, petulantly dug in their heels and refused to face the painfully obvious.
    One gets the feeling that they are now down in the bunker, just waiting for a Packer loss to jump back in to once again spew more blasts of their ridiculous vitriol. Their claims : "Thompson is trying to wreck the Packers" (to lose his own job?), "Thompson hates Favre so much he is wrecking the Packers" (to lose his own job?) "Thompson is trying to wreck the entire universe" have been a source of amusement to many of us for a long time, and, in all fairness, might wind up being actually missed for their comedic value if & when the misguided return to reality.
    Now then : just how many wins will it take for them to extend even the tiniest bit of credit to Ted Thompson for the job he's done?
    5?
    6?
    8?
    12?
    16-0??????????
    Unfortunately, any criticism of Thompson for posters like you is taken to the extreme. It turns into an all or nothing concept. Also, where were your kind comments about Thompson when we were 4-12? What about 4-8, 5-8? I just love it when people take hindsight and then act like they were full supporters all along. Just because I disagree with his moves doesn't mean that I don't give him some credit. I don't that credit to the extreme like a lot of people are because it isn't warranted. Thompson has done some things right, but he has done many more wrong. He is no Ron Wolf when it comes to judging talent or team needs. Right now you have a QB who is on fire and thankfully he is because our "top 10" defense looks like a bottom 5 one right now. A lot of things have gone right for us to be 4-0. Most of which has had nothing to do with Thompson. Right now, Favre is the one carrying the team. Our tight ends are catching the ball which is a huge improvement over the past two seasons. Somehow, I don't credit our tight ends or Farve's performance on Thompson. Even if we do go 19-0, the only credit Thompson will get from me is that he hired McCarthy. It may be the biggest addition in the Thompson era to the Packers. So far we have gotten a few gems out of the draft. Every GM has those so it isn't that Thompson is a genius in that department. It's the BIG draft picks where he falls miserably short. You know the draft slots where you take a guy who can make an immediate impact? Yeah those ones, he has fallen way short.
    "Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”
    – Benjamin Franklin

I get it. So now they're winning despite Thompson.

Is it too late to retract my apology?

In certain terms, yes. But then again, if you bother to read my post instead of taking some whacked out interpretation of it, you will see credit was given for hiring McCarthy. Thompson has failed in judging the draft choices that would make an immediate impact on the team. He has also failed in his judgment of FA talent with few exceptions.

Once again, try reading and digesting an entire post before you make irrational judgments about it.
    "Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”
    – Benjamin Franklin

My opinion of TT hasn't changed in the least. I knew he was doing a great job with the draft and I knew this team would be better, hence my 11-5 prediction. But at the same time, I still think this team could have been better with some nice free agent moves. How did the running game go from decent last year, to a 1 YPC this year? He wasn't as aggressive as he could have been when it came to finding a good running back.

Also, people say that we are doing good without Moss, and this is true, but we would be crazy good on offense if he was on this team. All because we are good doesn't mean we can't be better.

TT? TT's who I thought he was! He's I thought he was!

I love that press conference

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin
    In certain terms, yes. But then again, if you bother to read my post instead of taking some whacked out interpretation of it, you will see credit was given for hiring McCarthy. Thompson has failed in judging the draft choices that would make an immediate impact on the team. He has also failed in his judgment of FA talent with few exceptions.

Once again, try reading and digesting an entire post before you make irrational judgments about it.
    Then you better make a call, Merlin. Jennings and Jones didn't know they weren't supposed to make an immediate impact. Their bad. I'm sure they'll try to be less productive in the future.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy

Then you better make a call, Merlin. Jennings and Jones didn't know they weren't supposed to make an immediate impact. Their bad. I'm sure they'll try to be less productive in the future.
    Once again, READ before you respond. Giving Thompson credit for finding talent beyond the first or early second round is grossly naive. Every team finds good players who make immediate impact every season after the so called "immediate impact" ones are gone.

Jennings was a late second round pick on the cusp of being an impact player. Jones was a third round pick and in the beginning didn't look to be very good at camp. Both players came in camp knowing they had a shot to be a starting WR and they stepped it up. I don't take anything away from them, not one bit. But to say Thompson was a genius for picking them is extremely naive. I don't recall anyone saying that he reached for either player or fans screaming about those picks.

I don't know what one has to do to get people to read what is written instead of going off on some wild tangent in a direction that has nothing to do with the comments posted.

Did I say Jennings or Jones was bad? Did I say they should be less productive? No, not even close. Once again, for something like the 4th time now, Thompson does not deserve credit for drafting these types of players simply because any GM in the NFL (Matt Millen as the exception) does the same thing.

If it's all a credit to Thompson, then how's come we have no depth at any position accept the defensive line? How can a rookie running back put up 100 yards in one half on our "Awesome" defense? If the Vikings had any coaching at all, they would have put the ball in Adrian Pederson's hands the entire second half and we would have lost the game the way he was torching us. So I suppose it's Thompson causing the opposing teams to be stupid? How can we rank 32nd in rushing in the NFL? Not Thompson's fault right? Name a Super Bowl team ranked dead last in rushing. Then again, not on Thompson. Sure we are 4-0, we got a lot of lucky breaks in there. Did Thompson create those breaks? Is Thompson directing our offense on the field, reading defenses and being allowed freedom to make a play?

You have to take the good with the bad and right now far too many people have rose colored glasses on and are ignoring our glaring weaknesses. Weaknesses that when exposed will surely not be Thompson's fault because we are 4-0 and he drafted Jennings & Jones.

So YOU make the call. Praise him up and down for the success of the team now and be no where to be found when an offensive coordinator figures out to run the ball against us THE WHOLE GAME, keep our offense off the field, and force Favre into come from behind mode. Then what kind of genius will Thompson be if we lose? Oh wait, I forgot, it will be this player or that player or some call or the coach.
    – Benjamin Franklin

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar

I guess he misjudged Jennings, Jones, Colledge, Coston, Hawk, Poppinga, Nick Collins. These guys are all Thompson's picks, they all start, and they all contribute to a 4-0 team.

Here is a little new flash, every GM misjudges draft picks, and some of them blow up in their face. Ron Wolf had some poor, very poor first round picks but we idolize the guy because he brought in Favre, signed Reggie White, and put a Super Bowl team together.

The Packers still lack a running game of any significance, I don't think anyone can dispute that, but based on acquired talent at other positions the running game at this point can take a back seat due to Favre's command of the offense, and McCarthy's offensive play design and play calling. Even if the Packers had Ahman Green this week, wait he was hurt again. Ok if the Packers had Travis Henry, wait he is a back up to a 6th rounder in Denver. Shit ok if the Packers had Chris Brown, again back up in Tennessee. Shit who could have ran the ball against the Vikings this week?

When discussing a GM it easy to argue anyway you want because all GMs have success and failure in personel moves, thats just the facts, so you all can continue to argue anyways but then you fail to realize that the Packers are 4-0, and your not a fan of the Chicago Bears.

? HOFer
    How can a rookie running back put 100 yards?

By being a dynamite player... He looks like he has the potential to be an all-time great pending his health. Did you watch the game?!?! He looks AMAZING!

We shut down LT (MVP last year), Brian Westbrook (Top 3 in total yards from scrimmage last year), and faced a top 5 offense in New York. Seems like we're doing pretty well.

Thompson has failed in judging the draft choices that would make an immediate impact on the team.
    My post was predicated on this statement from your last post. Had nothing to do with any other post you wrote. And I read the whole post. All 3 lines were absurd. He hired McCarthy, but also the majority of players McCarthy coaches.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Thompson has failed in judging the draft choices that would make an immediate impact on the team.

Seems more to me that you've failed in judging how Thompson judges his draft picks.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy

Once again, READ before you respond. Giving Thompson credit for finding talent beyond the first or early second round is grossly naive. Every team finds good players who make immediate impact every season after the so called "immediate impact" ones are gone.

Jennings was a late second round pick on the cusp of being an impact player. Jones was a third round pick and in the beginning didn't look to be very good at camp. Both players came in camp knowing they had a shot to be a starting WR and they stepped it up. I don't take anything away from them, not one bit. But to say Thompson was a genius for picking them is extremely naive. I don't recall anyone saying that he reached for either player or fans screaming about those picks.

I don't know what one has to do to get people to read what is written instead of going off on some wild tangent in a direction that has nothing to do with the comments posted.

Did I say Jennings or Jones was bad? Did I say they should be less productive? No, not even close. Once again, for something like the 4th time now, Thompson does not deserve credit for drafting these types of players simply because any GM in the NFL (Matt Millen as the exception) does the same thing.

If it's all a credit to Thompson, then how's come we have no depth at any position accept the defensive line? How can a rookie running back put up 100 yards in one half on our "Awesome" defense? If the Vikings had any coaching at all, they would have put the ball in Adrian Pederson's hands the entire second half and we would have lost the game the way he was torching us. So I suppose it's Thompson causing the opposing teams to be stupid? How can we rank 32nd in rushing in the NFL? Not Thompson's fault right? Name a Super Bowl team ranked dead last in rushing. Then again, not on Thompson. Sure we are 4-0, we got a lot of lucky breaks in there. Did Thompson create those breaks? Is Thompson directing our offense on the field, reading defenses and being allowed freedom to make a play?

You have to take the good with the bad and right now far too many people have rose colored glasses on and are ignoring our glaring weaknesses. Weaknesses that when exposed will surely not be Thompson's fault because we are 4-0 and he drafted Jennings & Jones.

So YOU make the call. Praise him up and down for the success of the team now and be no where to be found when an offensive coordinator figures out to run the ball against us THE WHOLE GAME, keep our offense off the field, and force Favre into come from behind mode. Then what kind of genius will Thompson be if we lose? Oh wait, I forgot, it will be this player or that player or some call or the coach.
    The part I bolded shows how ignorant you are. Do you not remember all the howling on this board because TT took Jennings and not Chad Jackson? There was many threads about that.

I don't recall anyone saying that he reached for either player or fans screaming about those picks.
    No you only claimed that he reached for Driver and Tauscher in the 7th. Classic.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

? HOFer
    And then remember when people were shitting bricks around here when he took James Jones "3 rounds too high"??

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell
    You will not get any satisfaction or class from those who opposed you in ignorant ways.
    Do you think Shadow's post is an example of class?

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell
    99% of the posters here are great. I hate contributing to a thread like this because it always seems like we are ripping on 50% of the posters when really it's one or two.
    You are right, it was a very few posters who were convinced that Thompson was a crappy GM. But I don't have a big problem with them, they just saw things differently. Most people who criticized Thompson were disagreeing with specific moves/nonmoves, and I think the critics were more often than not correct.

A blowhard is a blowhard. There are blowhards on all sides of any disagreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Partial

In my opinion, you are off your rocker. I think.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer
    Besides, at this point, being in-season, it's really an MM and coaching staff thing, and not a personnel thing.
    ?
    Meaning, that people are/will rip TT for the poor running game, not assembling the talent needed to have a better running game, but there is no personnel move that can be made at this point (most teams do not make big in-season trades anymore), so we are going to have to fix the running game with coaching and practice, and not TT pulling off a personnel move.

Re: Over/Under On The Thompson Bashers

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow
    Ok, we are 4-0; no team in the entire NFL has a better record after 1/4 of the regular season.
    One of the chronic TT bashers seems to have softened in the face of the significant improvement in the team, but at least 2 others have adamantly, petulantly dug in their heels and refused to face the painfully obvious.
    One gets the feeling that they are now down in the bunker, just waiting for a Packer loss to jump back in to once again spew more blasts of their ridiculous vitriol. Their claims : "Thompson is trying to wreck the Packers" (to lose his own job?), "Thompson hates Favre so much he is wrecking the Packers" (to lose his own job?) "Thompson is trying to wreck the entire universe" have been a source of amusement to many of us for a long time, and, in all fairness, might wind up being actually missed for their comedic value if & when the misguided return to reality.
    Now then : just how many wins will it take for them to extend even the tiniest bit of credit to Ted Thompson for the job he's done?
    5?
    6?
    8?
    12?
    16-0??????????
    Unfortunately, any criticism of Thompson for posters like you is taken to the extreme. It turns into an all or nothing concept. Also, where were your kind comments about Thompson when we were 4-12? What about 4-8, 5-8? I just love it when people take hindsight and then act like they were full supporters all along. Just because I disagree with his moves doesn't mean that I don't give him some credit. I don't that credit to the extreme like a lot of people are because it isn't warranted. Thompson has done some things right, but he has done many more wrong. He is no Ron Wolf when it comes to judging talent or team needs. Right now you have a QB who is on fire and thankfully he is because our "top 10" defense looks like a bottom 5 one right now. A lot of things have gone right for us to be 4-0. Most of which has had nothing to do with Thompson. Right now, Favre is the one carrying the team. Our tight ends are catching the ball which is a huge improvement over the past two seasons. Somehow, I don't credit our tight ends or Favre's performance on Thompson. Even if we do go 19-0, the only credit Thompson will get from me is that he hired McCarthy. It may be the biggest addition in the Thompson era to the Packers. So far we have gotten a few gems out of the draft. Every GM has those so it isn't that Thompson is a genius in that department. It's the BIG draft picks where he falls miserably short. You know the draft slots where you take a guy who can make an immediate impact? Yeah those ones, he has fallen way short.
    Now that is an honest and accurate post as I view it all and at the present time.

That is the sort of honesty the people all on the TT your a genius bandwagon cannot refute.

Ted Thompson. . . I at least hope, is still on his learning curve or we are not going to the top.

He is a competent accountant. As a Packer GM I expect so much more fr. him beginning today.

I always hope that he will better our team on a daily basis.

The fact we are 4-0 today despite ** a near invisable running game (worst in the NFL and who is that on Packer fans), has to do with good communication between MM and Favre and some fortunate luck lent to the Packers.

** Quoted fr. other sources:

The truly remarkable thing about Favre and the Packers' success this season is the fact that Green Bay's offense is virtually without a running game. It's Favre and his receivers, and everybody knows it. The Packers ran 20 times for 46 yards against the Vikings, and that will ensure that they remain ranked last in the league in rushing again this week at 54.2 yards per game. End of quote.

4-0 only means that we have won four games. Twelve to go.

There is so much more we have to have go our way to have the season that Brett Favre and other Packer players desire.

As a Packer fan I feel so happy for our players early success and trust that they will contain themselves and carry strength through any upcomig adversity.

GO PACKERS !
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby
    Quote Originally Posted by Partial

In my opinion, you are off your rocker. I think.
    You all remind me of pitbulls...