Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Global Warming

? HOFer

Global Warming

The Earth is getting warmer. Discuss.

Green Bay has been above freezing for 1 hour in the past 30 days. A little tidbit on the news tonight. Global Warming my ass.

In all seriousness though, there are too many unproven theories about it. There isn't enough scientific evidence to suggest whether someone is right or is wrong.

The problem is that if we wait until we have absolute 100% scientific certitude that man-made global warming exists, it will probably be too late to do anything about it. We can do nothing and hope that everything turns out ok. Or we can take action now, knowing that if we err, we will have erred on the side of caution.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman
    The problem is that if we wait until we have absolute 100% scientific certitude that man-made global warming exists, it will probably be too late to do anything about it. We can do nothing and hope that everything turns out ok. Or we can take action now, knowing that if we err, we will have erred on the side of caution.
    exactly, well said joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman
    So you mean that even if it isn't causing global warming, its good to lower our levels of pollution?

I'm just a wild and crazy guy with wild and crazy ideas.

but isn't pollution good for us?

everyone says theres too much of it, yet people are living longer these days

more pollution = longer lives

duh

The one think I've always liked about air pollution is that on a bad day, you can see it. So if you breathe it, it's your own fault. It's not like you didn't know it was there.

Though I don't believe some of the hyperbole re: global warming, I still think we need to be better stewards of our planet. Fly into LAX or view Denver's skyline (or Chicago's from the Sears Tower) and you plainly see we are causing more pollution that affects our health and our children's health.

Even if you look at it from a purely national security standpoint, it makes more sense to develop more alternative sources of energy. Whether it be fuel cell technology, hydrogen, whatever.

We also need to be pushing harder to use biodiesel. A lot of countries have more options regarding diesel autos than the US. There are tax credits in Europe for biodiesel use, plus a lot more common sense emission standards compared to the U.S.

If our politicians on both sides of the aisle weren't in bed with the oil companies, more would get done.

We need to transform some of our existing cash crops like soybeans, etc. to be our own manufacturing areas for biodiesel.

The less we have to be dependent on foreign oil sources, plus finding more efficient ones, the better off we will be.
    -digital dean

No "TROLLS" allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by GBRulz
    Green Bay has been above freezing for 1 hour in the past 30 days. A little tidbit on the news tonight. Global Warming my ass.

In all seriousness though, there are too many unproven theories about it. There isn't enough scientific evidence to suggest whether someone is right or is wrong.
    Wrong. There is loads of data that show the effect humans use of coal and oil alone has on the atmosphere. Planetary weather fluctuates for many reasons, our activity is one of them.
    Most Americans will or can do nothing until the Federal or State Gov's makes them or helps them to change. The sooner Bush is gone and the influence of Big Oil is out of the Whitehouse the better. No meaningful change will ever take place until someone else calls that place home.

It's all about the science, right?

Meet Maurice Strong, the godfather of the environmental movement.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,250789,00.html
    .................................................. ..............................................

Bottom line: The UN can't be trusted on this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldean
    Though I don't believe some of the hyperbole re: global warming, I still think we need to be better stewards of our planet. Fly into LAX or view Denver's skyline (or Chicago's from the Sears Tower) and you plainly see we are causing more pollution that affects our health and our children's health.

Even if you look at it from a purely national security standpoint, it makes more sense to develop more alternative sources of energy. Whether it be fuel cell technology, hydrogen, whatever.

We also need to be pushing harder to use biodiesel. A lot of countries have more options regarding diesel autos than the US. There are tax credits in Europe for biodiesel use, plus a lot more common sense emission standards compared to the U.S.

If our politicians on both sides of the aisle weren't in bed with the oil companies, more would get done.

We need to transform some of our existing cash crops like soybeans, etc. to be our own manufacturing areas for biodiesel.

The less we have to be dependent on foreign oil sources, plus finding more efficient ones, the better off we will be.
    Agreed 100%. Heck, you don't even need to go to LA or Chicago...just take a look down the Fox River as you're going over the 172 bridge here in GB and you see all the pollution from the paper mills.

So because Fox News doesn't like some guy at The U.N. (Shocking!), that refutes claims about Global Warming?

Redneck Rat HOFer Little Whiskey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldean

i think blaming the politicians is the easy way out. we won't see huge leeps in alt. fuel tech until the price comes down or until fossil fuel prices increase. notice when gas was over 3 bucks a gallon and threatening to go upwards of $5, is when the hybrid cars started gaing much popularity.

? HOFer
    Hybrid cars are too big of a rip-off right now. They do very little for the environment with the way Americans drive right now.

They should make Diesel hybrids. 100 mpg with biodiesel capability would be pretty solid. They also need to find a way to genetically engineer corn to produce a higher bioavailablity or whatever it is called ( I read up on biodiesel like a year ago and don't remember the term ) .

Whether global warming is real or not, they should start making efforts to preserve or even improve the environment and the world. In addition to this, the united states could increase plastic development and cut dependency on foreign oil.

It could also propell our economy to an entirely new level.

Alright. Let's get serious here. I stole this from Cyclone's post a few months back. My apologies:

As you can see, the only way to effectively combat global warming on any meaningful level is to become a pirate. Do it for your country. Do it for your unborn grandchildren. Do it for the crying forests.

I don't mean to tangentalize your thread Partial, but here's the link to the good ol' thread on global warming. If you like vicious, sometimes drunken, almost always under-informed discussion on a pseudo-political topic, then have a read. I know it pulled a few heart strings for me.

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/vi...er=asc&start=0
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Yarrrr....these stats be revealin the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Debating it at this point seems almost pointless to me. Either you agree with the majority of trained professionals or you don't. What matters at this point is how we all act. You can "believe" in global warming all you want, but if you don't do anything to affect change that belief doesn't mean anything.

Gradually buy CFLs, Get a home audit by a HERS rater or BPI certified building professional, look at where you work to see what energy conservation can be done. Hell, if you don't care about the environment, do it because it can save you some money. There are countless other things that can be done to reduce CO2, conserve energy, and save some $. It is a win-win. Anyone else have ideas on what can be done?

Global Warming is a myth. We do not have enough scientific data for the earth to say that the sky is falling. That is a fact. Not so long ago these same scientists were claiming we were going into the next ice age. So which is it? For those of you who think that humans are the cause of the problem, you do know that one volcanic eruption causes more toxins to be released into the air then man has released the entire time since the gasoline engine was introduced? Well if you don't know that, now you do.

Pollution is the only issue. It's not up to our government to protect us from ourselves. It's up to us to have enough respect for each other to want to do something about it.

Face it, nothing ever got better once the government got involved. The only thing I can say that happened was that taxes went up, the deficit went up and a 535 people got wealthier (that would be congress). For those of you who think the government is knee deep into the oil companies, I sure hope you aren't picking one side or the other for that one. Many people in both parties have oil investments. The problem is, some of you believe the rhetoric spewed by your local politician that says it's them and not me. Before you vote, next time do some homework on your representative, you may find out that they don't share anything in common with you accept that they don't like whoever the president is. Voting for that person based on that is purely idiotic!

? HOFer
    So Merlin, how do you explain the largest ice cap ever recorded breaking off of greenland this week?