Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dave Rayner sounding like a real cry baby.

Dave Rayner sounding like a real cry baby.

Rayner: I should be with Packers

By Rob Demovsky
    rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

By the time the regular season opened, the bitterness — at least most of it — was gone.

It was time for Dave Rayner to get down to business. A week after the Green Bay Packers released him in their final cuts, there was Rayner, locked in his condo in Howard, watching every NFL game he could and hoping for someone to miss.

Such is life for an unemployed kicker.

Sure enough, Kansas City's Justin Medlock botched a 30-yard field goal and before the first Sunday of the NFL season had been completed, Rayner was back in the game. After losing the Packers' kicking job after one year to rookie Mason Crosby in a heated training-camp battle, Rayner signed a two-year contract with the Chiefs, has made 10-of-13 field goals and this week will face his old team at his new home, Arrowhead Stadium.

At some point, he plans to sell his condo and buy a place in Kansas City — if that becomes his long-term home. But then again, he hasn't given that much thought, especially considering he always figured he'd be in Green Bay for the long haul.

"I thought I had done enough to deserve to be there longer," Rayner said in a telephone interview. "They drafted Mason, but I was told from Day 1, 'It's your job to lose.' Then, I kicked well in the preseason, led the league in kickoffs and made all my field goals. With the crap they were doing in practice and how much they kicked us, I don't think there's a reason why I should have lost that job. It's not like I was a problem in the community. It's not like I had issues with any of the coaches or anything. I was just really disappointed in the way they handled it, and if it's a performance business, then I guess they looked at the performance different than I did."

In what was as intense a head-to-head position battle as there's been in recent Packers' training camps, Rayner tried 114 field goals (making 91) during practice, and Crosby attempted 115 (with 98 made). Neither one missed in the four preseason games.

"That's the most I've ever kicked in my entire life," said Rayner, who made 26-of-35 field goals (74.3 percent) for the Packers in 2006. "I have never kicked that many field goals in my life. We were kicking almost every single practice, and it's not like we were doing two, three or four kicks. We were doing six, eight, 10, 12 kicks at a time. I knew that was going to happen. They kept saying it was so close, and they kept kicking the heck out of us. It was one of those things where I look back now, I wish they wouldn't have kicked us so, but it was not my decision."

So far, Crosby and Rayner have posted similar numbers. Crosby has made 12-of-15 field goals and ranks fifth in the NFL with nine touchbacks. In one fewer game, Rayner has three touchbacks but has placed 13 of 24 kickoffs in the end zone.

After a shaky start — he had a field goal blocked thanks to a blown assignment in his first game and had one kickoff go out of bounds — Rayner has settled in with the Chiefs. He was named the AFC's special teams player of the week after making three field goals in a Week 4 upset over the San Diego Chargers.

"Obviously, he's got a great leg," Chiefs coach Herm Edwards said. "Sometimes, he overkicks a little bit, but he's a mentally tough guy, which is what you like in kickers. He can kind of let it go and get back to the next kick. That was a good get for us."

Rayner landed with the Chiefs in part because they passed on Crosby and took Medlock in the fifth round of the April draft. The Packers took Crosby in the sixth round. The Chiefs didn't have another kicker on their roster in training camp but brought several kickers in for workouts after Medlock missed half of his kicks in the preseason games. The Chiefs picked Rayner over John Carney, Josh Huston, Nick Novak, Shane Andrus, Kevin Lovell and Conner Hughes — all of whom worked out in Kansas City on the Monday after the final cuts.

"I had a really good workout out there," said Rayner, who also worked out for the Giants. "I went 11-for-12 on field goals and had six touchbacks on eight kickoffs. They said they were going to give our guy (Medlock) the first week and see what he does in a game. He missed a chip shot, and they signed me the next day."

Rayner said he still keeps in touch with several of his former teammates — injured running back Noah Herron, backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers and punter Jon Ryan. Though he hasn't talked to Crosby, he said he has no hard feelings toward him and is happy for his success.

"I was fired up that he got a shot at a game-winner so quickly," Rayner said of Crosby's Week 1 kick that beat the Philadelphia Eagles. "He seems to be doing well, and the team seems to be doing well. I wish them the best. I'm excited to play them this week, and I'm excited to see those guys."

As for whether Rayner thinks he's found a long-term home with the Chiefs, he's not sure. After all, he thought that was going to be the case with the Packers, which was the reason he bought his condo in Howard, which now is being rented by Packers offensive lineman Tony Palmer (who is on injured reserve).

"I've been told by the special teams coach and the head coach that if I kick well, this can be a long-term deal," Rayner said. "I just need to keep doing what I'm doing and keep focused and see if I can get a long-term deal."

__________________________________________________ ____________________

This is why real NFL players hate kickers. He had to kick 10-12 FGs at a time. Oh no!!!! Cry my a fucking river Rayner! I go to a lot of training camp practices and saw Rayner standing around on the sideline an awful lot. Just like every other kicker in the league does. Anyone can tell that Crosby has a special leg and Rayner was good, but not great. Don't get me wrong, I would be okay if Rayner was still our kicker but believe TT made the right choice in picking Crosby. One more thing, this is the NFL Rayner! Players get cut all the time, get over it!

It's pretty rare that a player does that well and still gets cut, so I don't blame him for feeling that way. But why run your mouth off to the press?

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I dont know man, if I was him I woudl be kinda bitter too. If he had complained about wanting to leave then yeahm he can go to hell but he wanted to stay in G&G. After Sunday I hope he has a great season.

Calling him a crybaby? I wouldn't go that far. However, it does make you wonder that if the Packers were 1-6 instead of 6-1, would he still be as upset for being given the boot (no pun intended) as he is now?

Sounds a bit like whining, although if they said it was his job to lose and he was about even w/ Crosby in camp I can understand being upset.
    My impression based on the stats and the camp reports was that Crosby held a slight edge, and not just because of his draft status (although I'm sure that helped him).
    Crosby has a higher ceiling, and TT was going on potential.
    Whatever. I'm glad we have a decent K, and I'm happy for Rayner too. At least he didn't start talking about Appleby's.

Well, his exit was classier than Longwell's, IMO.

The guy also said he was pulling for Crosby to make that game winner, that's pretty classy. As Mad already pointed out, the guy wanted to stay on our team.

It's tough getting fired in a company that's "downsizing" for us normal folk. It's happened to me, and I was pretty bitter, especially when I compared myself to some who got kept. I think that's a healthy attitude to have. If you go around believing everyone else is better, whoa, then just throw yourself under a bus!

And let's not forget, the press has a way of twisting innocent statement to make 'em more "readable"....

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Apparently KC must really be a dive of a city.

I can see why he is disappointed...but he's also got another gig now. Plenty of guys around the league get deep sixed unsuspectedly. In Rayner's case, it shouldn't have been unsuspected. The Packers DRAFTED another kicker. Regardless of what they said, it was clear that they weren't entirely happy with Rayner's 2006 performance.

That is why I said from day one that it was CROSBY'S job to lose. If he matched Rayner kick for kick, then the inexperienced rookie would be given the benefit of the doubt in terms of having better long term potential for the future.

In reality, Crosby was actually slightly better than Rayner during camp...not significantly so, but enough to make the decision to keep Crosby a no-brainer for the Packers.

Eric Von Zipper Rat All-Pro CaliforniaCheez's Avatar
    It was economics. Crosby cost 60% of Raynor. Crosby's contract is longer.

That NFL minimum forces a lot of older players out.

I'm suprised Longwell has not been replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaCheez
    It was economics. Crosby cost 60% of Raynor. Crosby's contract is longer.
    The Packers have millions in cap space. If Rayner proved himself to be better, he'd still be in Green Bay. The economics wasn't as much of an issue as was the fact that Crosby proved he was just as good as Rayner without having any NFL experience under his belt to rely on. In the world of NFL kickers, experience should be a fairly substantial edge over a rookie.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Yeah, he may have whined a bit, but at least he didn't go all Ray Finkel on us!

Senior Rat All-Pro FritzDontBlitz's Avatar
    Crosby's first kick as a pro was what, a 52 yarder straight down the middle?

Rayner was less than 50% once he got past the 45 yard mark.

I am sure my numbers aren't accurate, but I hope you get my point: Rayner became more unreliable as he got farther away. Even in the preseason duel.
    Always respect your opponent, even when you're kicking the crap outta him.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Crosby and Rayner are both good kickers. It didn't really matter who got the job and who got cut, we were going to get a good kicker.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1
    It didn't really matter who got the job and who got cut, we were going to get a good kicker.
    These guys were fighting for their respective existences. Your post is extemely dismissive and I for one find that repulsive.

It mattered to the players, and to me, a fan, who got the job. I am disappointed by your post.

? HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1
    Crosby and Rayner are both good kickers. It didn't really matter who got the job and who got cut, we were going to get a good kicker.
    Both have the potential to be really good kickers. Neither is there yet. I would say Crosby is closer to it than Rayner. He is far more robotic ala Longwell except he has quite a bit more power.

Don't get why you posted this link.

But, I thought i was the only wisco fan of mink deville. Tragically underappreciated.

Twist it down.....right to your shoes!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/icebowltickets.png

The on thing about Crosby I do like is that the guy isn't afraid to try and lay the wood on a returner. The one thing I don't like about him is that in 2 of the 3 interviews I saw him in, he sure sounded like a cocky SOB. Rayner has a little bit of an attitude and Longwell got one as soon as he started to kick like shit. Maybe it's a kicker thing but it isn't very team-like to act as though the world revolves around you ala T.O.
    "Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”
    – Benjamin Franklin

Rayner's FG make % last season is likely the only reason they drafted Crosby in the first place. If he would have kicked better when the games counted he'd likely still be here. No one to blame but himself.

As a reminder, the NFL stands for "Not For Long" when you don't produce when the bullets are live. See Wynn, DeShawn.

And yes, I do view his remarks as whining. What's the point at this stage? Burning a bridge is never a good idea. Look in the mirror Dave.