Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dave Rayner sounding like a real cry baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin
    The on thing about Crosby I do like is that the guy isn't afraid to try and lay the wood on a returner. The one thing I don't like about him is that in 2 of the 3 interviews I saw him in, he sure sounded like a cocky SOB. Rayner has a little bit of an attitude and Longwell got one as soon as he started to kick like shit. Maybe it's a kicker thing but it isn't very team-like to act as though the world revolves around you ala T.O.
    im glad he's a cock.

when you're a kicker, you dont have a lot of friends.

you better love yourself.

rather have that then mister humble who's not so sure of himself. i want the iceman, frozen in the veins, too cool for school and all of that.

this isn't church. character matters up to a certain extent. sometimes winning football games matters. i dont know of many good kickers who dont have a bit of an attitude.

A little bit is one thing but you also don't want your kicker to be so cocky that when shit goes south ala Longwell, that they don't share in the blame. So far Crosby has done a great job. So has Rayner. I can't even believe that a kicker made the press. Reminds me of Vanderjagt the "idiot kicker".
    "Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”
    – Benjamin Franklin

Re: Dave Rayner sounding like a real cry baby.

Quote Originally Posted by gbpackfan
    "That's the most I've ever kicked in my entire life," said Rayner, who made 26-of-35 field goals (74.3 percent) for the Packers in 2006. "I have never kicked that many field goals in my life. We were kicking almost every single practice, and it's not like we were doing two, three or four kicks. We were doing six, eight, 10, 12 kicks at a time.
    He won't win much sympathy with his teammates with this quote. Up to 12 kicks at a time, almost every single practice? Sounds grueling. Much tougher than pushing the sled or running sprints.
    "My problems with him are his vision and tendency to dance instead of pounding a hole." - Harvey Wallbangers

Senior Rat HOFer the_idle_threat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarlam!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1
    It didn't really matter who got the job and who got cut, we were going to get a good kicker.
    These guys were fighting for their respective existences. Your post is extemely dismissive and I for one find that repulsive.

It mattered to the players, and to me, a fan, who got the job. I am disappointed by your post.
    I agree with 3irty1, and in fact I posted the same sentiment in training camp.

I don't see it as dismissive. It's more like, the team had two good kickers and was only gonna be able to keep one. Either way they end up with a good kicker---it was a good problem to have. Much better than having two crappy players competing for a spot, and ending up with garbage either way (kind of like our punting situation a couple years back).

OK, maybe it's just me. I must be approaching menopause.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarlam!
    OK, maybe it's just me. I must be approaching menopause.
    Yah, you might be acting like a lil nina about this.

I have to wonder if Rayner makes the FGs in the eagles game. He seemed to miss what shoudl be considered easy ones in 2006.

Re: Dave Rayner sounding like a real cry baby.

Quote Originally Posted by superfan
    Quote Originally Posted by gbpackfan
    "That's the most I've ever kicked in my entire life," said Rayner, who made 26-of-35 field goals (74.3 percent) for the Packers in 2006. "I have never kicked that many field goals in my life. We were kicking almost every single practice, and it's not like we were doing two, three or four kicks. We were doing six, eight, 10, 12 kicks at a time.
    He won't win much sympathy with his teammates with this quote. Up to 12 kicks at a time, almost every single practice? Sounds grueling. Much tougher than pushing the sled or running sprints.
    I dunno - I didn't think he was wingeing that much in the article - just expressing his views, and saying he didn't think he did anything wrong. And it was cool that he was happy for Crosby hitting that game winner.

As far as kicking too much, I'd like to hear from another kicker on that respect. I imagine making those long boots takes a lot out of them...having made that many kicks, is there a concern about getting a 'dead leg' latter in the season? I know hitting the sleds may be harder, but kicking is more like pitching - there's a reason pitchers only go out there once every 5 days. I wouldn't be surprised, and I hope it doesn't come back to haunt Crosby late in the season.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

That camp kicking competition is only going to make both of them better kickers in the long run. The only way to test their mettle, was to raise the stakes, everyone knew they were in battle for a position. He shouldn't have been surprised by this at all.

This is what he gets for being a whiner. (Cruel and unusual punishment)

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chi...ry/343330.html

Chiefs notes

A kicker’s life

Kicker Dave Rayner’s job security isn’t at its high right now, not after he missed a 30-yard field-goal attempt in the Chiefs’ most recent game against Oakland.

So while he was having a leisurely soak in the hot tub after practice, some of his teammates — we won’t mention names, but think about the punter and a back who’s run for more than 3,500 yards the last two seasons — decided they would have a little fun.

They emptied Rayner’s locker, including removing the nameplate above, and packed all of his gear in a large duffel bag, which they sat in front of the stall. In the locker they taped the note, ‘Go see Ray Farmer,’ the Chiefs’ scout usually entrusted with giving the news to the departing player.

Rayner apparently was tipped off to the joke because when he emerged and saw his empty locker, he merely laughed.
    "When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time" Max McGee

Mason Crosby is 5th in the NFL with 9 touchbacks. Rayner has only 3.

Crosby is 6th in the NFL in KOR avg of only 20.6. Rayner is way down the list there too.

Crosby is 12 of 15 on FG's which is not bad.